New Flasher Mistake or lucky break?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fizzi, Mar 12, 2010.

1. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    I am new to the flashcard scene and having only ever heard of R4, it is what I googled.
    Knowing that I like to have plenty of space free on any memory card I own, I opted for an upgradeable card and found this one

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/

R4SDHC DShappybox edition.

It came from http://www.memorycardzoo.com (I'm in the UK)

After finding this site I immediately bookmarked and began trawling for information, and what I found about fakes and bricks concerns me.
    Did I just buy a knock-off fake and consider buying a better card to be safe? If so what would you reccomend for a basic micro SD upgradeable card to simply run homebrew and roms on?

Thanks in advance
    Fizz

2. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    Yes.

3. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    Well that was a quick reply, but not the most helpful. Any chance you could ellaborate and advise if it's worth me forking out for a different card or if I am safe with this one?

4. DarkWay

DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

Aug 21, 2008
    Cornwall
    currently there are like 4 "top" cards in my opinian these are:-
    Acekard, M3, Supercard and Cyclo DS

those are in no particular order and they are just the makes of cards

5. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    Well the problem is that there's so many R4 clones its hard to tell which one is decent or bloody awful. ( Though guys here can tell the difference)

My advice is to try and return and get something better like an AK2i, SCDS1i, M3i etc.

I don't you didn't pay too much for it.

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    [​IMG] Sorry, I was planning to elaborate though.

I have a CycloDS Evolution, and if you have the money for it, it's worth every penny. A CycloDS won't work in a DSi though, keep that in mind.

7. purplesludge

purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

Mar 2, 2009
    United States
    wv
    Get a different card. if you have a dsi or don't want to spend much money Acekard2i. If you have a ds or dslite and money doesn't matter get a cyclods.

8. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    Depending on your budget i would recommend either the CycloDS or the acekard 2i for the DSlite.

The CycloDS will not work on the DSi though.

9. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    Ok, well the card I have atm was £17.99 with 4gb SD (reduced from £28.94)
    £18 for an sd card is not tragic, a little steep but not outlandish. So a new card would not be unreasonable. However, funds are a little strapped atm so It would need to be value for money.

I know people recommend the CycloDS for support for Wii and Wi-Fi as well as fast turn around on new games.
    These don't interest me much as I don't have a Wii and I don't use Wi-Fi on my DSlite, I'm also patient so fast turn around on games is not essential.

Basically I need a good cheap card which is safe from bricks and will run a majority of mainstream games, and a supplier for UK with fast delivery would also win you may brownie points with this muppet. [​IMG]

10. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    A UK supplier is AddictSupplies, though they may not stock some carts. I got my EZFlash 3in1 from there within a few days.

11. Pliskron

Pliskron Banned

Banned
    Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Don't ever buy a card that says "I'm Hot" and comes in a Happy Box.

12. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    Yeah, really should have been alarm bells [​IMG]

Thanks all. I should have read up harder before ordering, I guess I got a little over excited.

I'm going to have a good read about the differences now!

13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    - good
    - cheap
    - support
    - etc...

If cheap's the biggest opion and works on DS Lite and DSi, go get an AK2i (AceKard)

If cheap doesn't matter and you never plan to buy a DSi, go get a CycloDS

If you like to mess around and want something between that works on DS Lite and DSi , go get a M3iZero/iTouch2

I suggest as a starter and cheap, you go get an AK2i

14. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    The R4DS Revolution was the 'thing' in 2006. This isn't 2006.

Anything called R4 today is a cheap rip off even if it does work. And you got that from a current R4 user (I have a real R4).

My brand of choice is likely the Acekard 2i and if I was getting a new card that's what I am buying. Remember, you don't buy based on price, you buy based on is it the right one.

15. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010

Sorry to be a pain, what do you mean by mess around?

From the website ProtoKun7 kindly supplied I would be happy with either the Acekard 2i or the m3izero costwise of around £15-20. The CycloDS seems to be almost double that from some places which seems a massive jump.

I'm sure you get plenty of these threads so thanks for the patience with me! I'm tech savvy with PCs but this is all a little bit new but I will catch on eventually [​IMG]

16. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
  17. fizzi
    OP

fizzi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    Ah I see, well I have already played around with the GUI files of the current card a little (made my own themes) so that would definately apeal.

I will be ordering the M3i zero I think.

Thanks again.

18. gameguy95

gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

Banned
    Jan 27, 2009
    United States
    Furrytown
    my advice is that if the name is something like Hyper r4i or r4i upgrade, not just R4, then it is a clone and you should not get it whether or not it is a clone. wait a month or 2 and get the SCDS2 it will be easy to use and even play GBA games without having to buy anything extra and on dsi tooo