New Anti-Piracy Bill Proposed in U.S. Senate

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and who's to say what is significantly purposeful? most of the websites I visit have community forums--many of which aren't even related to piracy.

Augustus Osari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nigbasketballger said:
I'm voting republican next time, I'm through with democrats.
Do you not know how to read? This is receiving pretty much equal support from both "sides." Your whole government is in the pocket of the corporations and you're still falling for the act.

I K K E

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Saddamsdevil said:
Nice one, but, doesn't this mean pirates win anyway if the site is hosted offshore?
I don't think so.

QUOTE(sanity @ Sep 24 2010, 08:02 AM) The bill would allow the Attorney General to pursue restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, and injunctions against websites that have "no demonstrable, commercially significant purpose or use other than" copyright-infringing activities. The bill would also allow these actions to be pursued against such websites in rem — meaning that the website itself can be treated as the defendant rather than its owner. This would also allow the government to pursue sites whose owners may not be within the United States' jurisdiction, if the site knowingly provides infringing content within the United States.

D

Deleted User

Americans..................................Always Americans in high places. Give Americans power and they go crazy like what they did to Cuba, from 1898 to 1959. GO CASTRO!!! But dumb Russia made Cuba communist.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I K K E said:
Saddamsdevil said:
Nice one, but, doesn't this mean pirates win anyway if the site is hosted offshore?
I don't think so.

QUOTE(sanity @ Sep 24 2010, 08:02 AM) The bill would allow the Attorney General to pursue restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, and injunctions against websites that have "no demonstrable, commercially significant purpose or use other than" copyright-infringing activities. The bill would also allow these actions to be pursued against such websites in rem — meaning that the website itself can be treated as the defendant rather than its owner. This would also allow the government to pursue sites whose owners may not be within the United States' jurisdiction, if the site knowingly provides infringing content within the United States.
This site does not provide infringing content. It's a purely informational website.

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
diando said:
Americans..................................Always Americans in high places. Give Americans power and they go crazy like what they did to Cuba, from 1898 to 1959. GO CASTRO!!! But dumb Russia made Cuba communist.

right.......cause some people like the Russians or Germans would never abuse their power........

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Rogue_Syst3m said:
diando said:

right.......cause some people like the Russians or Germans would never abuse their power........
I didn't see a statement saying that Americans are the only ones.

Any asshole with power would abuse it.

D

Deleted User

Saddamsdevil said:
Rogue_Syst3m said:
diando said:

I didn't see a statement saying that Americans are the only ones.

Any asshole with power would abuse it.

Yes Hitler needed to be hit. (PUN) He was half Jew! I never said "Only Americans" Even in my small country (Smallest in the Western Hemisphere) People go mad with power.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sanity said:
The bill would allow the Attorney General to pursue restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, and injunctions against websites that have "no demonstrable, commercially significant purpose or use other than" copyright-infringing activities. The bill would also allow these actions to be pursued against such websites in rem — meaning that the website itself can be treated as the defendant rather than its owner. This would also allow the government to pursue sites whose owners may not be within the United States' jurisdiction, if the site knowingly provides infringing content within the United States.
Sadly, anything outside their jurisdiction they can't touch, so this bill would be illegal. They can't legally go after sites that aren't in the US, as foreign websites would be protected by foreign governments. They would have to get the help of the governments, and if those governments say no, then the US can't do anything about it besides not import from that country. Now, I don't mind the fight against piracy, but they are doing it all wrong. One of the reasons why pirates do this, which isn't a major reason, is that people always love a challenge. You make it harder for someone to do it, they will either give up, or try harder to succeed. And when you add in the fact they have been pirating for a while, they will try harder and do something new.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If piracy is costing the media-industry 200.000 jobs, it means it creates the same number of jobs too in other industries.
wink.gif
It's not like pirates are all turning to millionairs over night due to saving all that money, it'll just be spend elsewhere.

Maybe if they'd cut prices like every other industry has done, instead of raising them.
Movies on VHS were a lot cheaper, though production costs were at least 10* more.

Best example of the worst of kapitalism, rich people get richer, poor people get sued by them.

Samus_aran115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Loled. It'll still be around no matter what. As opposed to people not getting it for free, people will just live without it. They don't make any more money. If we're stealing it, we have no intention of buying it, obviously.

Lets say I download WoW and play on a private server, I obviously don't give a shit about playing live, so if you shut down all the private servers, I just won't play! People are so fucking stupid and naive when it comes to the internet. They have no idea how much pirated stuff is one here.They have no idea how much Pron is floating around. They don't understand anything.

D

Deleted User

I don't think this will hurt sites that only provide information such as GBAtemp or scene.org. They are protected under the 1st Amendment of the US constitution and are not at risk unless they are linking to pirating sites or actual files.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the law was changed to say "no demonstrable, commercially significant purpose or use other than directly hosting and sharing copyright-infringing materials" it wouldn't be so bad. That'd help with ROM sites and the like, but at the same time wouldn't potentially lead to taking down sites with legitimate but ignorable-by-the-government purposes, such as homepages for various torrent clients.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do nothing, just ignore them!, I'm so tired of this stupid crap, if there so concerned about this matter stop making video games and systems, end of story!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30