US anti-lootbox bill formally introduced, begins to gain political traction

Chary May 27, 2019.

1. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    I'm not a big fan of lootboxes myself and i would be happy if they dissapear but the only argument against them is "BUT THINK ABOUT CHILDREN!" then... i don't want this kind of anti-lootboxes law because it can be used as predecessor to censorship of basicaly everything, and censorship is any form and shape is way bigger threat than the most expensive and cancerous lootboxes.
    It's parents' goddamn job and duty to keep their children safe and teach them basics of how world works, not gaming companies or any other group of people. This law in a shape and form that is presented right now simply cannot exist because it can be abused as gateway for way bigger, more idiotic regulations.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    They always hide behind the Children. It’s emotional manipulation.

I blame the people for supporting loot boxes. Don’t support it and it’ll go away. This legislation is because people have no self control, so lets regulate businesses for our failure, for supporting something we complain about. In reality how many people are addicted and wasting hundreds, to what percentage of the population. It’s a minority. The majority who are not addicted are also supporting this.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    You... don't get how gambling works do you? How it ropes you in? How it manipulates your needs, your desires?

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I hope it passes, this kind of crap should be illegal. Micro-transactions can fuck right off with loot boxes too.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  5. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    A small percent of the population is addicted to gambling. Companies can’t do much on a small percentage of the population.

This is the fault of the majority that isn’t addicted but continue to buy lootboxes. It all adds up even if someone buy’s it sometimes.

Last edited by SG854, May 28, 2019
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  6. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    You know, I've never gotten this argument. "This legislation is because people have no self control, so lets regulate businesses for our failure, for supporting something we complain about."

This is literally what democracies, and even autocracies, do. Quite literally why they exist. We regulate gambling, we regulate sex, we regulate murder, we regulate theft, we regulate medicine, we regulate car emissions, we regulate monopolies, we regulate insurance, etc.

We regulate everything.

To blame the people for supporting this is pointless sophistry. If enough people don't want something, and traditional methods of achieving it do not work, we involve the government to intervene on our behalf. This is how government works. This is how society evolves.

This instance of legislation is nothing new. I could draw on how this has parallels to unionization, anti-trust laws, and even the progression of LGBT in the past two decades. All of these have been progressed by sidelined methods and not direct petitioning.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey, May 28, 2019
    VartioArtel likes this.
  7. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Should make a fkin bill called bootbox meaning booted out forever

Bladexdsl likes this.
  8. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    It is their fault no? For supporting something they don’t want.

If enough people don’t want something then why do lootboxes still exist? So they want it or no? If there was no money in it then they wouldn’t do it anymore. They are not holding a gun to your head to force you to buy lootboxes.

When someone murders it’s their own fault. They chose to murder and are to be blamed. So we punish with “regulations”. But they are still responsible for the murder.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  9. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Is this supposed to be the standard for deciding when something is wrong? Because that's a pretty damn sad bar to set.

It's your own fault if you buy from a monopolistic company. It's your own fault for gambling. It's your own fault for not researching the medicine you take. It's your own fault for not buying from a car manufacturer who is trying to do better with car emissions. No one is pointing a gun to your head forcing you to buy them.

See where this is going? Again, I will never understand your argument on it's flawed foundations when in context of living in a democracy.

VartioArtel likes this.
  10. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Medicine is a whole nother topic where companies can lie about them.

Lootboxes isn’t in the same category. It’s straight forward. You pay, you get items at random. Not hard to understand. It’s people playing victim.

Yes things do require a bit of research before you buy. Buy an IPhone or Android. What features interest you most.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  11. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    overlap between parties can be a thing right?

12. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I think you might be on to something.

13. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Good! Next up pay to win mechanics in general please

Bladexdsl likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I will happily argue against this bill not because the Democrats support it, but because it's an asinine interventionist policy that interferes in the free market and the relationship between game developers and their customers. Nobody has ever forced anyone to buy a loot box at the point of a gun, it has always been optional. If people don't like loot boxes, they have the option to not play the games that feature them, or just not buying the loot boxes. Clearly they do like them, since it's a profitable mechanic, so gamers are simply being hypocrites. By restricting alternative revenue streams like this the government effectively makes game design harder, especially in the F2P sector and especially for small, independent developers. This isn't going to affect Activision nearly as much as people think it will - they have the capital to sink half a billion dollars into a game like Destiny. However, this *is* going to affect smaller developers who release F2P titles in hopes to gain traction and make up for the costs of development over time via insignificant cosmetics. It's a bill designed to protect people from themselves, I said as much on previous occasions, and anyone who thinks they will benefit from it need only to look at Nintendo's withdrawal from the mobile market in areas where loot boxes were banned. You as the consumer are fully responsible for your purchasing decisions, you don't need the government to step in and prohibit the ones you don't like for everybody.

Skelletonike and CallmeBerto like this.
  15. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Most of what people call today "children gambling addiction" in my times was miraclously healed by turning off the computer/console/TV and hiding some kind of important component of it from kid's sight. Today it's easier, you don't need to pull the cable - just grab phone or tablet and make your children stop playing. And when in young age kid's use of the internet will be controled and they will learn how to use it properly, there will be way less addicted adults.

Seriously, humanity is going into wrong direction if you can't figure out how to deal with this kind of problem and need goverment to help you. Watch out for when you all will need regulations for what is in your fridge or when you are allowed to use toilet because clearly it will soon be like that...

16. PapaJohn2019
    This message by PapaJohn2019 has been removed from public view by Issac, Jun 25, 2019, Reason: Spam.
    May 28, 2019
  17. JamesMerloni

JamesMerloni Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    United States
    Wow guys scared of developers making money? Are you telling me that businesses should not be allowed to try and make the most money possible? Baba.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  18. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Not when Yr paying for a silly bit of clothing I'd be ashamed if I was part of tht team and would tell my colleagues Yr a bunch of scamming arseholes

Bladexdsl likes this.
  19. JamesMerloni

JamesMerloni Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    United States
    Then dont buy the silly clothing

CallmeBerto likes this.
  20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    let them make $ by making actual good games instead of crappy gamemaker pixel, weeb trash FAP games filled with loot boxes and micro$ GARBAGE

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 28, 2019
    the_randomizer likes this.
  21. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    People are better off going to ther local charity shops and buying clothing for a couple of quid then childish loot boxes