Gaming New 3DS update available!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
I don't have a 3DS but according to the legal statement in the changelog, they can render your system permanently unplayable if they detect unauthorized devices. According to Rydian, this is against US law. However it could be just Nintendo's legal PR bluffing.
I pretty sure people found out that was misread and that rumor should be left to die.

I have no reason to update. Didn't even get a notification...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Here's a good article in Kotaku that was inspired by this update.

If You Update Our Firmware, Tell Us Why

Luke Plunkett — There's a new 3DS update in the wild. And it does, well...something. What exactly that is, Nintendo isn't saying, because when Nintendo updates the 3DS, it doesn't tell you what it's updated.

Aren't we entitled to know that?

Sony does the same thing on the PlayStation 3, firmware updates often accompanied by vague statements about "stability and security". But what are you fixing? When a company reaches over the internet and messes with the insides of my stuff, I want to know exactly what they're doing.

Call me curious, call me paranoid, call me a long-time PC gamer with a fetish for mile-long changelogs, but there's something concerning about the secrecy with which companies treat these updates. I understand that, when it comes to security measures, discretion is key. But not everything that's updated in a new piece of firmware has to do with security.

Nintendo's latest update, for example, has added (via Tiny Cartridge) some colours to 3DS Sounds' StreetPass data. Minor, maybe, but why did it take users poking around to find that out? Surely Nintendo can spare the time to tell us what they're doing in there. Or at least post the information in full (and not in brief, as it does now) somewhere on its website.

Then again, this is Nintendo and the internet we're talking about. We should assume they'll fuck something up along the way. It's Sony doing the exact same thing that's more disappointing. Every time the PlayStation 3's firmware is updated (which, mercifully, is less often these days), users are sent scrambling to forums and comments sections looking for clues on what's been changed in their system.

They shouldn't have to do that. PC games serve as an example of how to do things the right way. Steam users will know that a full and complete log of game updates is kept for all your titles, meaning you can see exactly what's been done, no matter how trivial or impenetrable to the average consumer. MMO gamers enjoy the same level of transparency.

It's only fair. The relationship between a consumer and platform holder is a two-way street. We pay money, we get their system. But if we have to sign their terms of use agreement to use online services - and that's an important word, agreement - then we deserve a little reciprocity, a little information on how that service is affecting us. It doesn't have to detail specifics of security measures, but anything and everything else, we'd like to know!

If your experience is being changed, even slightly, you deserve to know exactly why and how. After all, it's your stuff!
Well said.

Source:
http://kotaku.com/5824674/if-you-update-ou...are-tell-us-why

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Kotaku are damn right too. I just got a SpotPass notification. I updated, and haven't noticed a difference. Sure, there are minor changes mentioned but I really don't care.

Anyway, we don't even have Netflix in New Zealand. We have Nintendo Video but it sucks. Some stupid Magic Tricks show in 3D that has a new episode every week it seems and some cartoon made for the 3DS in 3D called Oscar and Friends or some shit.
They have a picture of Shaun the Sheep on the eShop. WHERE IS MY 3D SHAUN THE SHEEP?

I'm not going to get rid of my 3DS, but so far, Nintendo are proving to be worse than Sony with pointless updates. At least Sony has slowed the hell down. What have the recent Wii updates done? Nothing. Apart from make hacking harder. People are going to pirate. Playing cat and mouse won't help. Add new features, and more people might be tempted to buy the damn thing.

That aside... this update sucks, and does the 3DS browser. I'd rather have the new Wii browser (which is a downgrade of the original, since it's more buggy and uses Flash Lite 3.1 instead of Flash 7. They could have just updated to Flash 10 or 11 but NO).

Nintendo, I love you, but you're becoming a joke. I mean, just look at the Wii U......

ppkhoa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Er... Why no one mentions Nintendo Video ? Just updated my 3DS and a new icon is added called Nintendo Video. Choose that icon it will lead you to eShop to download. My 3DS is US region not EU.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
ppkhoa said:
Er... Why no one mentions Nintendo Video ? Just updated my 3DS and a new icon is added called Nintendo Video. Choose that icon it will lead you to eShop to download. My 3DS is US region not EU.

You don't visit the eShop do you? It's been there for a few days now.

Bedlam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ishdeepsingh said:
Hakoda said:
I don't have a 3DS but according to the legal statement in the changelog, they can render your system permanently unplayable if they detect unauthorized devices. According to Rydian, this is against US law. However it could be just Nintendo's legal PR bluffing.
every1 knows they can, but WILL they? (answer prob not as it will break the law and a bunch of ther stuff that im not even gonna go into right now because its common sense that they will get in trouble for those actions)

I hate the way they word that crap too..we can brick your hardware if you use any software that we dont like. This ok with you? Well if not you wont be able to play new games...

Screw you nintendo. Made me want to throw my damn 3ds out the window. Make some games that are worth buying please...then you can threaten me into updating my system.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bedlam said:
ishdeepsingh said:
Hakoda said:
every1 knows they can, but WILL they? (answer prob not as it will break the law and a bunch of ther stuff that im not even gonna go into right now because its common sense that they will get in trouble for those actions)

I hate the way they word that crap too..we can brick your hardware if you use any software that we dont like. This ok with you? Well if not you wont be able to play new games...

Screw you nintendo. Made me want to throw my damn 3ds out the window. Make some games that are worth buying please...then you can threaten me into updating my system.

They can't brick your hardware, it's completely against the law, that's property damage. They're just bluffing. Not only is it illegal of them to do so, but the terrible PR and the huge amount of lawsuits would deter them from doing it if they could. Bricking your console like that is even more illegal than the piracy in question.

Beside, I doubt they are even capable of doing that. It's nintendo, they're stupid and fail. I mean, sos tupid, they think that this bluff is gonna scare people.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They haven't included that message before on an update before, right?

They can't render the hardware useless, but may disable features like access to the e-shop, online play whatever.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I lol'd
IMPORTANT: After the Nintendo 3DS system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.[/p]

Bricked 3DS is true.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
I lol'd
IMPORTANT: After the Nintendo 3DS system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.[/p]

Bricked 3DS is true.

It's a standard warning 'If you mess with it, it might break'. Nothing more.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Confirmed EZ-Flash Vi still works in the new firmware
smile.gif

nikola987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
SamAsh07 said:
....device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. ...

It's a standard warning 'If you mess with it, it might break'. Nothing more.
Actually in the past updates there was no word "may" in that sentence, but instead was "WILL render the system permanently unplayable"
biggrin.gif

They are getting soft
tongue.gif

nikola987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is some big ass update.. I'm still waiting to download it...

So now we know that 3DS downloads updates in the background and then when you accept it, it just installs, that is why it was so speedy for you...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe this is meant to block, remove and prevent the non-public released hack(s) for playing 3DS homebrew and back-ups.

EDIT: It also sounds like (to me) some games are going to start needing the newest update available to be played. Nintendo taking the PSP route for firmware and games.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
I believe this is meant to block, remove and prevent the non-public released hack(s) for playing 3DS homebrew and back-ups.

EDIT: It also sounds like (to me) some games are going to start needing the newest update available to be played. Nintendo taking the PSP route for firmware and games.

Newer games already required your 3DS to be on newer firmware if you wanted to play them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs