New 2GB Kingston. Has anyone tested yet?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by betaboy, Feb 24, 2007.

Feb 24, 2007
  1. betaboy
    OP

Member betaboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I guess we need to know who manufactures it and how the access speeds compare with the 512MB and 1GB Japanese Kingston (Toshiba) micro SD cards?
    They are available online now in the UK at around £32 ($60). I've send out a couple of emails to the retailers so I'll post the replies if I get anything back.

2. WiiDSbold

Newcomer WiiDSbold Member

I can't imagine those are Toshiba OEM as they are supposed to massproduce the 2GB microSDs starting this april.
    (That date is taken from a Press Release in january: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2007_01/pr0501.htm)
    So since the competition sells inferior stuff we have to wait a little bit for 2GB-goodness...

3. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Why buy one 2gig when its cheaper to buy five 1gig's?

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Because no-one wants to carry 5 micro SDs? Anyway, does 4gb micro SD work in an R4?

5. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    2GB = a lot of games and DPGs!

6. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    [​IMG]

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Great. Now I gotta find one that sells a 4gb.... oh who am I kidding... 1gb is enough

8. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    1gb is actually not enough, but it will do. Having 40 games on one microsd card is sweet.

9. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The SD standard only goes up to 2GB. Any 4 gig cards you find will most likely be microSDHC, which will probably not work in the R4/Simply.

There will probably be 4 gig microSD cards that do not comply with the SD standard, but I doubt they will find their way into many western stores, and I don't think the more reputable manufacturers will bother with non-compliant products.

1 gig is more space than I need for games. I rarely fill my 1 gig card, and I don't like having so many games on a card that I have to scroll to see them all. But then, that's just me.

A 4 gig card would be great for music & videos, but if the current 2 gig cards are any indication, it might be too slow for games.

10. WiiDSbold

nope.
    the current 2GB cards sport the same compatibility as their 1GB sibling from the same maker - no reason to generalize!

11. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Twice as much memory means twice as many transistors, and twice as much heat generated. The easiest way to reduce the amont of heat being generated is to run the chip at a lower clock rate. All else being equal, smaller chips can run faster than bigger ones. A 4 gig card would probably be adequate for the vast majority of games, but I don't think there will be one that is fast enough for the few games that really need a fast card.

It's my understanding that there is currently not a single 2 gig card that can play PoR without lockups. Am I incorrect? If there is one I'd like to know about it. I've been thinking about getting a 2 gig card.

12. falcon64z8

Member falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States

Well since they are so small I could care less and they do cost less than one 2gig microsd. But it would be nice to have a 2gig cause I have a 2gig CF card for my supercard and I put nothing but music and movies, now I have an r4 I just use that for games only.

13. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i been carrying around the case with an extra micro in it. doesnt bother me much and i can easily fit about 10 in thereXD

not to mention the the ds game case that came with the r4/m3s comes in handy

14. WiiDSbold

i'm not sure about this theory of yours but i know for sure that the fastest SD-Card i know of right now is the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB and its FASTER than the 1GB version (both in random access and transfer speed) - go figure...

but i think we all agree on the fact that BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER (even if some women insist on this being not true [​IMG] )... when it comes to memory-size (and memory size only of course [​IMG] )

so bring em on the 2, 4,... what do i say the 100 GB Cards!

[​IMG]