Hacking New 2GB Kingston. Has anyone tested yet?

betaboy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess we need to know who manufactures it and how the access speeds compare with the 512MB and 1GB Japanese Kingston (Toshiba) micro SD cards?
They are available online now in the UK at around £32 ($60). I've send out a couple of emails to the retailers so I'll post the replies if I get anything back.

captain^k

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
does 4gb micro SD work in an R4?
from http://www.r4ds.com/product-en.htm :
QUOTER4 Adapter supports 128MB~4GB TF(MicroSD) card , 4GB=32Gbit
wink.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The SD standard only goes up to 2GB. Any 4 gig cards you find will most likely be microSDHC, which will probably not work in the R4/Simply.

There will probably be 4 gig microSD cards that do not comply with the SD standard, but I doubt they will find their way into many western stores, and I don't think the more reputable manufacturers will bother with non-compliant products.

1 gig is more space than I need for games. I rarely fill my 1 gig card, and I don't like having so many games on a card that I have to scroll to see them all. But then, that's just me.

A 4 gig card would be great for music & videos, but if the current 2 gig cards are any indication, it might be too slow for games.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
..., but if the current 2 gig cards are any indication, it might be too slow for games.

nope.
the current 2GB cards sport the same compatibility as their 1GB sibling from the same maker - no reason to generalize!

Twice as much memory means twice as many transistors, and twice as much heat generated. The easiest way to reduce the amont of heat being generated is to run the chip at a lower clock rate. All else being equal, smaller chips can run faster than bigger ones. A 4 gig card would probably be adequate for the vast majority of games, but I don't think there will be one that is fast enough for the few games that really need a fast card.

It's my understanding that there is currently not a single 2 gig card that can play PoR without lockups. Am I incorrect? If there is one I'd like to know about it. I've been thinking about getting a 2 gig card.

falcon64z8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why buy one 2gig when its cheaper to buy five 1gig's?

Because no-one wants to carry 5 micro SDs? Anyway, does 4gb micro SD work in an R4?

Well since they are so small I could care less and they do cost less than one 2gig microsd. But it would be nice to have a 2gig cause I have a 2gig CF card for my supercard and I put nothing but music and movies, now I have an r4 I just use that for games only.

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Why buy one 2gig when its cheaper to buy five 1gig's?

Because no-one wants to carry 5 micro SDs? Anyway, does 4gb micro SD work in an R4?

Well since they are so small I could care less and they do cost less than one 2gig microsd. But it would be nice to have a 2gig cause I have a 2gig CF card for my supercard and I put nothing but music and movies, now I have an r4 I just use that for games only.
i been carrying around the case with an extra micro in it. doesnt bother me much and i can easily fit about 10 in thereXD

not to mention the the ds game case that came with the r4/m3s comes in handy

WiiDSbold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Twice as much memory means twice as many transistors, and twice as much heat generated. The easiest way to reduce the amont of heat being generated is to run the chip at a lower clock rate. All else being equal, smaller chips can run faster than bigger ones. A 4 gig card would probably be adequate for the vast majority of games, but I don't think there will be one that is fast enough for the few games that really need a fast card.

i'm not sure about this theory of yours but i know for sure that the fastest SD-Card i know of right now is the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB and its FASTER than the 1GB version (both in random access and transfer speed) - go figure...

but i think we all agree on the fact that BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER (even if some women insist on this being not true
nyanya.gif
)... when it comes to memory-size (and memory size only of course
rofl2.gif
)

so bring em on the 2, 4,... what do i say the 100 GB Cards!

wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(