Hacking Never again will i buy an Acekard or recommend one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Whilst I'm with you guys that Acekard have technically never said that their products will always be update-able and always compatible, thus they don't "owe" the user anything, 4 weeks is absolutely ridiculous.

i'm really confused now. by using that comma there you strung those two seperate thoughts into the same sentence. based on what you you just typed, if they don't "owe the user anything" then how is 4 weeks absolutely ridiculous?

I'm sorry, but if other teams can manage it within the first week, Acekard should be able to do it in less than a bloody month.

Whether or not they "owe" the user anything is irrelevant, the point is compared to other teams they're lazy.

as i just commented to you in another thread, its like you read the comments but you don't grasp the conversation. they are far from lazy. their card uses an older design which limits them to a small pool of exploitable roms. teams like supercard, for example, do not have this limitation and thus they are able to offer updates within minutes. acekard most probably has the update worked out within hours but they choose to not release it right away. they would rather wait out nintendo to see if another 3ds update is on the horizion. releasing back to back exploits would burn up their limited pool much more quickly.

with that said, what are we discussing here? is it that you are upset that they never updated their design? because it is clear that design makes all the difference when it comes to how exploits are applied. if we are discussing that then i would fully agree that they should have released an update from the very start. they should have addressed the contact issue and they should have addressed the way future exploits would be applied. on that note, they should also have never sold the old ak2i design so we would not be flooded with so many cheap clones that actually work (thanks to ys menu, retrogamefan, wood-based kernels, etc). in an effort to cash in they only ended up hurting themselves. now it is much to late in the life of the ds to make a new cart, there would be little point when you consider the costs involved. i fear that if we pushed them to make a new cart you would end up with some type of hybrid of what is already available, with the only benefit being that it would run AKAIO. yet AKAIO isn't getting any updates these days, which is a whole other discussion.

-another world

Reactions: 2 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whilst I'm with you guys that Acekard have technically never said that their products will always be update-able and always compatible, thus they don't "owe" the user anything, 4 weeks is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry, but if other teams can manage it within the first week, Acekard should be able to do it in less than a bloody month.

Whether or not they "owe" the user anything is irrelevant, the point is compared to other teams they're lazy.

(Yes, I know this post is late but I've only just logged into GBATemp for the first time in a month or so, so yeah)
Your post completely contradicts itself.
You agree to disagree with agreeing upon disagreeing well agreeing upon this disagreement?

tk615

Trophies
XP
Country
Whilst I'm with you guys that Acekard have technically never said that their products will always be update-able and always compatible, thus they don't "owe" the user anything, 4 weeks is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry, but if other teams can manage it within the first week, Acekard should be able to do it in less than a bloody month.

(Yes, I know this post is late but I've only just logged into GBATemp for the first time in a month or so, so yeah)
Your post completely contradicts itself.
You agree to disagree with agreeing upon disagreeing well whilst agreeing upon this disagreement?

Correction there. ^^
I guess I'd probably find another flash cart soon if it doesn't work (I only have the Original R4, Acekard 2i, which I'll still be keeping).

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i personally don't see the big deal here, the AK2i has been out for quite some time now and got mine for $20 shipped with a 2gb Micro sd and i have had mine for the better part of 3 or 4 years and it replace an aged TTDS card of which i no longer know the whereabouts.
that cart has served it's purpose for me and if they don't update it ever again i'll just go for a DSTwo or something and thank Team Acekard as well as the guys who gave us AKAIO for the years of support both they and the AKAIO devs have given this Flash cart.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
instead of complaining on a forum why not just save up $10 and buy a r4i gold.cn and enjoy the wood kernel?

-another world

So many called r4i gold card clones nowadays, you mean this one www.r4ids.cn (Wood supported),..right?

Yeah, that's about as "legit" as you can get, since the original R4 is long since dead. The problem is finding a source that sells that specific R4i Gold.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
PSP vs DS scene...PSP firmware gets update, custom firmware lags behind by unspecified number of days to weeks sometimes, nobody cares to update and rather don't even want to update sometimes...DSi/3DS firmware gets update, bypass may or may not lag behind, but for the most part is fair, and everyone rages because it isn't within a day...What formed this dichotomy between these two scenes? Obviously it's because nintendo aims for the impatient 12 year olds of today...Silly nintendo, always ruining the community in one way or another.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
PSP vs DS scene...PSP firmware gets update, custom firmware lags behind by unspecified number of days to weeks sometimes, nobody cares to update and rather don't even want to update sometimes...DSi/3DS firmware gets update, bypass may or may not lag behind, but for the most part is fair, and everyone rages because it isn't within a day...What formed this dichotomy between these two scenes? Obviously it's because nintendo aims for the impatient 12 year olds of today...Silly nintendo, always ruining the community in one way or another.

That's because a NDS/3DS is aimed to kids/adults by advertising games related to family gameplay (marketing here?). A PSP is targeted to a different yet, smaller audience. Of course there is people who thinks all this "programming machine stuff" can be done/undone on a wimp. --- Go bother someone else plox.

Also OP, the Acekard team is the only team I see / saw in the past providing constantly firmware updates yet supporting most games at a cheap price. DSTWO does that today, but, how many card makers are there still doing this , FOR FREE?

edit: you answered that yourself, and I did too but didn't read the answer before the question.. complex.

Reactions: 1 person

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
AK team should say "sorry" to ak2i users. In fact, there are several kinds of ways to bypass the system checking. However, ak team does not spend enough time making the updating patch, which cause so many ak2i user go for another new flashcard.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
AK team should say "sorry" to ak2i users. In fact, there are several kinds of ways to bypass the system checking. However, ak team does not spend enough time making the updating patch, which cause so many ak2i user go for another new flashcard.

You seem to know what you're talking about. You must be amazing at releasing patches for existing flashcarts. Please, give me a few examples of your awesome contributions.

Reactions: 5 people

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You seem to know what you're talking about. You must be amazing at releasing patches for existing flashcarts. Please, give me a few examples of your awesome contributions.
Well he regularly posts news of the latest R4iGold firmware updates and stuff...and recommends the R4iGold...and generally redir- R4iGold. I don't have a problem with it though :D. I would hazard giving a guess that he is either an avid supporter of the R4iGold, a correspondent to the R4iGold team, or part of the team. From there, I will make the enormous jump of assuming and say that he somehow impacts those firmware updates in some way. AND WITH THAT, I SLAP A TROUT AT YOU TwinRetro!

loco365

Trophies
XP
Pretty much what everyone else said here, don't update your system until you update the card. It's the number one rule with flashcarts nowadays. If you must update for whatever reason, it's best to have a second DS unit so you can continue to use it until the card gets another update.

Basically, it's not Team Acekard's fault that your card doesn't work on your 3DS. It's yours for updating the 3DS in the first place. Now you're SOL until they eventually release their update.

I'll admit, I updated my 3DS, but I did that because
a. I wanted NSMB2
b. I have 4 other Nintendo DS systems I can use my Acekard on

But I weighed my risks. Plus anyways, the DSi's screen is bigger than my 3DS screen so it's not a total loss for me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

FYI he is part of the R4i Gold team. i'm not sure if he is just a rep or what but he knows what he is talking about. i've had some lengthy discussion with their team specifically about the ak2i design. it is hard through e-mail to tell who is who, but either transferr was the one replying or he soaked up the knowledge being in the same work environment.

What formed this dichotomy between these two scenes?

what i think it is, is how easy the ds-scene was from the instant slot-1 cards were released and how quickly gamers were treated to updates. the only hard thing was buying the card. everything else pretty much just worked. things that didn't work were really easy to figure out because someone made a tool for doing it (arm patches, ap patches, cheat tools, dldi, etc). the entire scene was constructed around simplicity, the cards were basically plug-n-play (so-to-speak). the ds scene has since slowed down but the attitudes from the consumers have not changed. they still demand the same easy to apply quick fixes they were once inundated with, but sadly no one cares to provide them any longer. most everyone has moved on.

-another world

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If I complain on popular forums I will get my update. They just need someone like me to come along and put a foot in their ass to get them to do something that would take like 2 seconds to fix. I will be that foot. I'm an indignant hero."

May I please have this as my signature? I found so entertaining I literally spit my drink after reading it, still laughing after 20 mins later.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Oh, this one is just asking for a Wonka meme.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How about this. Acekard now I won't recommend, but if you already have one don't bitch about it being a piece of shit

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

FYI he is part of the R4i Gold team. i'm not sure if he is just a rep or what but he knows what he is talking about. i've had some lengthy discussion with their team specifically about the ak2i design. it is hard through e-mail to tell who is who, but either transferr was the one replying or he soaked up the knowledge being in the same work environment.

What formed this dichotomy between these two scenes?

what i think it is, is how easy the ds-scene was from the instant slot-1 cards were released and how quickly gamers were treated to updates. the only hard thing was buying the card. everything else pretty much just worked. things that didn't work were really easy to figure out because someone made a tool for doing it (arm patches, ap patches, cheat tools, dldi, etc). the entire scene was constructed around simplicity, the cards were basically plug-n-play (so-to-speak). the ds scene has since slowed down but the attitudes from the consumers have not changed. they still demand the same easy to apply quick fixes they were once inundated with, but sadly no one cares to provide them any longer. most everyone has moved on.

-another world

In that case, I apoligize. With so many people talking out of their ass here, It's hard to tell them from the people who actually know what they're talking about.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A major difference is that custom firmware prevents accidental updates, whereas flash carts cannot.

Do note that "accidental" includes updates made by other people (such as children) using the system. We see lots of parents here that find the system updated when their kid tries to access one of the online shops or something.

You might want to confirm this info with your production team, actually...

From what I've been told by somebody that's broken down many flash carts (and from testing I've done on how different flash carts behave in regards to connections and updates), the older R4i Gold models (before official 3DS compatibility) use the same type of update method as the AK2i. It's only the newer models (noted with the 3DS on the sticker once the new stickers and boxes were printed) that use a better upgrade method than the AK2i.

There's two different updates on the r4ids.cn site as a consequence, with the one for the older model lagging behind just like the AK2i...

What the Acekard team needs to do is what your team did; produce a new hardware model that can take bigger updates.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This thread is retarded, why is it open? The TC is being a dumbass by updating his card when he knew that there was no update, and he bitches that his Acekard doesn't work?

4 weeks isn't a big deal anyways. I remember a few years back it would take nearly 2 months to get games like KH Days or Bowsers Inside Story to work. This guy is a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.