Netflix Games begins rolling out for subscribers on Android

netflix.JPG

Netflix is something most would associate with TV or movies, not video games, unless it's The Witcher series or the Castlevania anime. But that's all changing, and just as it was rumored earlier this year, Netflix is beginning to offer games to its subscribers. The streaming giant has been toying with the idea of making and offering games, with the company's acquisition of Oxenfree developer Night School Studio, and the occasional release of games based on the Stranger Things franchise.

Now, Netflix users will be able to get in some gaming alongside their media streaming, with the global rollout of Netflix Games. This new service is included with any level of Netflix subscription, and offers five different games to start with: Stranger Things: 1984, Stranger Things 3, Shooting Hoops, Card Blast, and Teeter Up, each of which is currently only available on Android for now. Netflix says that some games may require an always-online connection, but others will be playable even when offline. If you're interested in trying any of these titles out, all you need to do is open Netflix on an Android device and swipe over to the new gaming tab to start playing.

:arrow: Source

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How bizarre that they didn't want to be the Netflix of gaming..
I dont think you get it, shows and movies are sent to your device and processed client side. They are doing the same with games the best way possible at the moment, none of this foolishness where companies try running games server side. Many companies already make it so you can start playing games with partial downloads, as internet gets faster it will become more and more seamless at the same time that even mobile hardware is becoming capable of providing the console/pc like experience. I'm guessing a few sales folks got in charge of projects that stream games the way its done now, because it makes little sense.
Boo, trash company. Got tired of ruining anime now on to games.
Just because they make bad anime does mean they ruin anime.

Last edited by kevin corms,

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's included in the current subscription then I am open to it. It won't start out perfect obviously but I am looking forward towards progress on cloud gaming. (Especially if the computer on the other end of the connection is a lot stronger than current consumer hardware)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised they're not limiting it to their premium tier or whatever it's called these days, though I wouldn't be surprised if they change that in the future.

Either way, interesting. Glad it's not game streaming and you actually download the games, although the "some games must be always online" thing is annoying...but then, given it's (currently) just a mobile service anyways doesn't matter that much. Maybe I'll grab some of the games if they actually put something worthwhile on it.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
People who play games are gamers, they don’t need your approval based on the games they play.
So by that logic every kids racing down the streets are actual racers . . .
I guess everyone cutting wood and nailing it together are also carpenters . . .
Should i keep going?
I mean they don't need my approval as long as you think otherwise right :P

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So by that logic every kids racing down the streets are actual racers . . .
I guess everyone cutting wood and nailing it together are also carpenters . . .
Should i keep going?
I mean they don't need my approval as long as you think otherwise right :P
Yes, obviously you are only a gamer if you get paid to game. You might want to understand what you are saying before you say it :P

Definition of the word gamer is “a person who plays video games or participates in role-playing games.”. You don’t change the definition of words to suit your argument :P. For more context a carpenter “a worker who builds or repairs wooden structures or their structural parts”.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.