Netflix Games begins rolling out for subscribers on Android

netflix.JPG

Netflix is something most would associate with TV or movies, not video games, unless it's The Witcher series or the Castlevania anime. But that's all changing, and just as it was rumored earlier this year, Netflix is beginning to offer games to its subscribers. The streaming giant has been toying with the idea of making and offering games, with the company's acquisition of Oxenfree developer Night School Studio, and the occasional release of games based on the Stranger Things franchise.

Now, Netflix users will be able to get in some gaming alongside their media streaming, with the global rollout of Netflix Games. This new service is included with any level of Netflix subscription, and offers five different games to start with: Stranger Things: 1984, Stranger Things 3, Shooting Hoops, Card Blast, and Teeter Up, each of which is currently only available on Android for now. Netflix says that some games may require an always-online connection, but others will be playable even when offline. If you're interested in trying any of these titles out, all you need to do is open Netflix on an Android device and swipe over to the new gaming tab to start playing.

:arrow: Source

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty poor, infection terrible. If you're going to enter a market, they should really of held off until they had something to offer (assuming they ever will). Especially given the current circumstances, can't see it working out for them.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
If it is already included with regular subscription, why so much complain? An extra feature for a service that an individual already have is good.

None of those games will attract new subscriptions, so at this time, it is not a Xbox cloud competidor or anything.

Reactions: 1NOOB

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
any idea why it’s limited to Android ?
I would be curious to give it a try but I have an iPhone, I am an iSheep… (when it comes to phones only, dont have anything else from apple)

I probably wouldnt enjoy it at all, I never play games on my phone, but I have netflix and I’m the curious type, especially when it doesn’t cost me extra

Reactions: brickmii82 and Xzi

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would be curious to give it a try but I have an iPhone, I am an iSheep… (when it comes to phones only, dont have anything else from apple)
According to Netflix Its coming to IPhone late December/Early January.

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does seem like it's supposed to be a "limited selection, just on Android" thing for now. I'm sure it'll open up as time goes on.

Not that I plan on getting any of these streaming apps any time soon, but it'll be interesting to see how far along they actually get with these sorts of stuff (other companies like Amazon included).

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I probably wouldnt enjoy it at all, I never play games on my phone, but I have netflix and I’m the curious type, especially when it doesn’t cost me extra
You know how Apple is, they get really suspicious whenever another way to download apps comes into the picture. It’s probably later than Android because they haven’t convinced Apple to let them do it yet.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Please, testers, can you tell if games are installed or streamed?
L'article did not make it clear.

Im ready for the irony of a streaming service requiring installs.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if they just focus on game related to show and movie they owned i can see this as a kind of marketing , while giving content about ip , if they give it out with your subsription it would be a win win for everybody . they need to focus on in house named material . build that librairy , add "video games " to it can just be a plus , even more with how many people use their phone for netflix . many services are poping up , with their own backlogs of ip , some of them getting removed from netflix for the competition aspect , they need to find ways to continue to appeal .

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You know how Apple is, they get really suspicious whenever another way to download apps comes into the picture. It’s probably later than Android because they haven’t convinced Apple to let them do it yet.
does this really entail downloading anything ?
thought it was just streaming (aka. cloud gaming)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Apple has a very restrictive TOS and doesn’t normally allow any game streaming services on the platform because it cuts into their App Store margins, Microsoft had the same issue with their xCloud service which was also delayed on iOS. The fruit company likes their palms greased, “free for existing subscribers” isn’t exactly their style.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users