neoDS - Update!

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by nitendo, Nov 15, 2014.

1. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011
    So I finally got around to check out the emulator neoDS.

I was impressed by the emulator and its performance - but got depressed when I realized I had to store my roms in the root of the flash-card. On top of that - all the config files were also written to the root.

Since I had the source - I decied to make my own improvements (over the latest official release - 0.20):

- Maximum amount of roms in rom-Menu increased from 64 to 256
    - Left/Right on D-pad now corresponds to pageUp/pageDown in rom-Menu
    - All config-files are now stored in directory "fat:/data/neoDS/"
    - All roms can be stored in separate directory according to "_NeoDs.ini"

Anyone else interested in this special build?

/dACE

2. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    If you could also make it scaled by default, that'd be sweet

3. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

I think that setting can be stored by game in a cfg-file....right?

By the way - the original sorce is available here: https://github.com/Yardape8000/NeoDS

/dACE

4. Drak0rex

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    But regardless, I'm all for improvements. So the roms can be put in whatever folder you want now?

Margen67 likes this.
  5. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

Yepp - as long as you keep the path under 256 chars.

Here - I have uploaded my build to fileTrip: neoDS_021

/dACE

Margen67, cvskid and Boriar like this.
  6. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    Hey thanks!

Out of curiousity, how many Neo Geo ROMs were successfully converted to this DS format thus far?

7. Drak0rex

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    And also, is there an extremely easy way to convert? Last time I checked, command line was involved and things got messy... :/

8. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1

It was a while - years - since last time I used it, but I've never encountered a game that couldn't be converted.

The guy who made that emulator has to be a legit genius. Nice to see it improved upon.

9. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Works great. Only games i have a issue with is king of fighters 99 with no life bars or insert coin/s logo showin and metal slug 5 with no display showing. So suprised since neo geo runs on a nintendo ds that no one ever made a CPS1/2 emulator for nintendo ds.

10. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

Since I did a whole lot of conversions recently - here are some pointers:

- Download the latest official release (from FileTrip) - it contains the conversion tool: 'NeoDsConvert.exe'

- You will need a zip-file with the NeoGeo Bios files inside - named 'neogeo.zip'. Make sure the file 'sfix' inside this archive has the suffix '.sfx' (not '.sfix').

- Convert your roms, one-by-one, by placing them alone (with 'neogeo.zip') in a folder with 'NeoDsConvert.exe' and running it, preferably by using the command-line prompt. This way, you will get feedback if and why a conversion fail.

- If files are missing from the zip-file you are trying to convert - download a new archive and add any missing files from that (try google for a paradise of emulation :-)

/dACE

SLiV3R and cvskid like this.
  11. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Quick question, as far as converting the games go due the inside of the neo geo games have to have all .bin files in them? I seen a videobefore where it had to be all bin but i was not sure.

12. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Glad to see some improvements made to one of my fav DS emus, keep up the great work ^_^

Margen67 and cvskid like this.
  13. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

I have updated the 'package' with a special build that will scale games by default.

This way, you can choose your default behaviour - I prefer the unscaled default myself.

Download the new package here: NeoDs_021b

/dACE

elBenyo and hippy dave like this.
  14. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    Can't we just have that as an selectable option so we don't have to swap versions in and out?

15. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

Scaling is still configurable per game - which can be saved to a config file.

The difference between the builds are the way games are defaultly presented - scaled or unscaled.

/dACE

16. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    Understood, just thought it would be better to make it a selectable option so that you don't need to maintain multiple versions going forward, though.

17. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    This would be a cool 3dsbrew

18. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    glad to see an update to this lovely ds homebrew one improvement I wish to make a request for is arguments ie. load game by loading roma.neo or romb.neo, this is achievable with wood by using the Association.ini File but if the homebrew doesn't have support for it, it doesn't work, for example with neoDS 0.20 if you try to add the arguments using the Association file it loads NeoDS.ds as it normally would, not like with gameyob where it loads the gb/gbc game that was opened from wood

19. nitendo
    OP

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011
    My builds are not a part of the offical version-chain. That would require me to register at GitHub and stuff - which I'm way to lazy to do.

I think I'm about done with what I wanted to do with neoDS - basically adding in some features the original author probably just postponed and then never got around to implement.

If someone have an idea of a minor improvement and it is something I want to do - then I'll consider doing it.

If someone else want to pick up the neoDS project - I'll be more than happy to share my modest additions to the source-code. Let me know - and I'll upload the modified source-files somewhere.

If that person does not want to migrate the source to more modern versions of devkitARM and libnds - it can be a bit tricky to locate the old libraries. I guess I could upload them along with the source IF anyone wants me to?

/dACE

aea likes this.
  20. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    i'm pretty sure getting arguments to work is a very minor improvement albeit only a feature that works on wood firmware I believe