Homebrew neoDS - Update!

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't remember the whole process I haven't used NeoDS in about a year I lost interest in it. I think the .bat file I used had an option for using the unibios.
i'll look through my external HDD I should still have all the files

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this is taken from the advanced section in the readme for NeoDS 0.20
ADVANCED

You can run NeoDSConvert from the command line. In this case, it takes up to 2 parameters.
-bios0 use the Europe MVS (Ver. 2)
-bios1 use the Europe MVS (Ver. 1)
-bios2 use the US MVS (Ver. 2?)
-bios3 use the US MVS (Ver. 1)
-bios4 use the Asia MVS (Ver. 3)
-bios5 use the Japan MVS (Ver. 3)
-bios6 use the Japan MVS (Ver. 2)
-bios7 use the Japan MVS (Ver. 1)
-bios8 use the Universe Bios
-bios9 use the Debug MVS
-bios10 use the Asia AES
-bios11 use the Japan AES
If there is another parameter, it will be interpreted as the name of the game, as given to MAME. In this case, only this rom will be converted.

For example, pretend you want to convert Metal Slug 1, using the japan-s2 bios. Create a new directory (C:\roms). Copy mslug.zip and NeoDsConvert.exe into C:\roms. To open a command line, click start, select "run...", type "cmd", and press enter. Type "cd c:\roms". Press enter. Then type "NeoDSConvert -bios6 mslug". Press enter.

If you want to use the universal bios, name the file uni-bios.rom, and add it to neogeo.zip. This enables lots of nice features like switching between home and arcade mode, and cheats. This is the recommended way to use NeoDS.
So you want to add uni-bios.rom to the neogeo.zip using winrar or 7zip then run cmd.exe and use the argument -bios8 followed by the game name. the game name doesn't require the .zip extension to be included metal slug for example "NeoDSConvert -bios8 mslug.zip" is wrong it's "NeoDSConvert -bios8 mslug"

Also if your using a DS/DSL a slot-2 ram expansion pack will really help with the performance of most games, I use an ez-flash 3in1 for it

mickael28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey man, thank you for that!!! This helped debugging a lot... so having it working now :)

It turns out that the 4 mslug.zip I downloaded just to make sure that one of them was not corrupted had the following files inside:

Code:
201-c1.c1
201-c2.c2
201-c3.c3
201-c4.c4
201-m1.m1
201-p1.p1
201-s1.s1
201-v1.v1
201-v2.v2

I had to rename each and all of those files to .bin and that allowed me to create the mslug.neo file!

Cheers!!

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
I tried compile the code for try make that the emulator works with an one screen (GBA MACRO) but the make said me error amr7 sound_cr, so I can't compiler the file... anymore I have problems for detecte the code for the emulator works an one screen (I don't know C code), I only know that is anything how
"
MODE_5_3D |
177 DISPLAY_BG2_ACTIVE |
178 DISPLAY_BG3_ACTIVE |
"
to
"
MODE_0_3D |
177 DISPLAY_BG0_ACTIVE |
178 DISPLAY_BG0_ACTIVE |
"
e
anybody can help me?

Kunio-kun

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I finally got around to check out the emulator neoDS.

I was impressed by the emulator and its performance - but got depressed when I realized I had to store my roms in the root of the flash-card. On top of that - all the config files were also written to the root.

Since I had the source - I decied to make my own improvements (over the latest official release - 0.20):

- Maximum amount of roms in rom-Menu increased from 64 to 256
- Left/Right on D-pad now corresponds to pageUp/pageDown in rom-Menu
- All config-files are now stored in directory "fat:/data/neoDS/"
- All roms can be stored in separate directory according to "_NeoDs.ini"

Anyone else interested in this special build?

/dACE

This is an awesome build by expanding the rom list but I'm having a problem with the emu when changing the icon the emu crashes is there a way I can solve this problem?

Last edited by Kunio-kun,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Attachments

• NeoDS021 README.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 233

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i wish i knew about this before downloading and fixing the header of the 2.0 version that forces me to have the roms in the root.
roms in the root? that's gross, why would anyone leave their software like that?
thanks for the update OP.

Anyone interested in a version that has the header and banner fixed? because as far as i've seen on the fowarder, it shows a long string of glitches. I made it for myself but if anyone is interested i can upload

Nevermind this update doesn't work using fowarders like the 0.2.0 version. I suppose its because of the "data" folder.

If there's a way to fix it, perhaps changing the path on the .ini file? let me know

2nd edit: Managed to get it running and recognising the roms path, but the games won't boot, i get a "no rom banks" message, or a "loading memory blablah" And the games never run. I give up.

Last edited by placebo_yue,
Reactions: wariobar

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I get lost on the number of different versions of NeoDS, so I have been recapping the whole situation. I hope it can be useful also for all of you.

NeoDS 0.20
- Latest version of the original emulator​

NeoDS 0.20 EZ flash 3in1 comp.
- Version for EZ Flash 3in1
NeoDS 0.20 NeoDS_GBMacro
- Version to use in a GameBoy Macro
NeoDS 0.21 (normal version) & NeoDS 021.b (scale games by default)
- Maximum amount of roms in rom-Menu increased from 64 to 256
- Left/Right on D-pad now corresponds to pageUp/pageDown in rom-Menu
- All config-files are now stored in directory "fat:/data/neoDS/"
- All roms can be stored in separate directory according to "_NeoDs.ini"​

Threads:
021 & 021b: https://gbatemp.net/threads/neods-update.374204/
020 GBMacro: https://gbatemp.net/threads/adapt-neods-to-gameboy-macro.557741/

Please, let me know if there is anything that I missed.

As far I know, the only version that uses RAM extension from slot-2 is NeoDS020 EZ flash 3in1 comp, am I right?

EDIT: I think I was wrong, I could see in readme.txt (v020) that emulator use this extra RAM from slot-2 if there is any to cache more data. With this, I assume all versions use extra RAM from slot-2.

EDIT2: I was wrong again. There is something weird about the use of extra RAM from slot-2, based on @Indy13 's test. It looks like it is only enabled in 0.20 EZ build. !!?? what a mess!!

Last edited by wariobar,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
EDIT: I think I was wrong, I could see in readme.txt (v020) that emulator use this extra RAM from slot-2 if there is any to cache more data. With this, I assume all versions use extra RAM from slot-2.

I'm not sure the RAM option is enabled on other versions of neods than "neods EZ". I have tried all the versions of neods and the version compatible with the EZ 3in1 seems to be a little faster, it's very light on a game like Metal Slug 1 but on Metal Slug 5 or on the introduction of Blazing Star the difference is significant.

Reactions: wariobar

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks for the info @Indy13 . It is weird, as all versions are based on 0.20 which in theory the memory expansion enabled. Maybe neoDs EZ squeeze better this functionality than other versions as it was a build specifically for the EZ flash which has much more ram than the others slot-2 cards.

Have you tried to use 0.20 or 0.21 versions without the EZ flash and see how neoDs performs without any slot-2 extra memory? Otherwise I have no clue...

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is weird, as all versions are based on 0.20 which in theory the memory expansion enabled. Maybe neoDs EZ squeeze better this functionality than other versions as it was a build specifically for the EZ flash which has much more ram than the others slot-2 cards.

I was surprised like you when I've read the readme file of neods 0.20 but maybe the modification was only for the EZ 3in1, I don't know what is the full story behind this build. If you want to know a little bit more about this version here is the post where I've found this build :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/neods-a...he-greatest-ds-emulators.291225/#post-4238159

Have you tried to use 0.20 or 0.21 versions without the EZ flash and see how neoDs performs without any slot-2 extra memory?

0.20 and 0.21 have the same results without the EZ flash device, like you, I've made my tests with NDS Lite and R4, with a R4 I'm using 0.21 for the lights and olders games then I can store those games easily somewhere else that the root on my sd and for the bigger games who ask more resource I'm using 0.20 EZ comp. with this solution I can nearly get the neogeo fullset with a good speed on my sd card.

Reactions: ruffo and wariobar

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@Indy13 , please can you share which roms are you running with NeoDS 0.20 3in1 version? It would use it as a starting point for my test. I just received my EZFlash 3in1 :) and my setup will be pretty similar (R4 + 3in1).

It would be amazing to merge all NeoDS versions, that's a pity I have no idea how.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi @wariobar :)

To do your test, you can use Blazing Star, you can see the difference during the intro, with Metal Slug 5 the glitches disappear with 3in1 tool, Shock Troopers 1 & 2 also work well with the 3in1, otherwise, I recommend all fighting games whose style requires a lot of nervousness to play pleasantly.

I leave you the list of all the games that I tested with the two versions of NeoDS (2.1 & 2.0 3in1)
neogeo games.jpg

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks @Indy13 . For what I saw during my tests, the performance in my nds is similar to yours.

Can anybody tell me if the performance with 0.21 version is better with any slot-2 memory expansion than without?
We know for sure with Ez-flash 3-1 cart there is no improvement but I would like to know if the problem is with the cart or with the version.

edit2: I could test the 0.21 version with the memory expansion pak (Browser DS) and it has been detected by emulator, using the additional ram. Additionally SLOT-2 icon was displayed in the screen, which is not displayed with 3in1 cart. I keep digging ...

Thanks!

Last edited by wariobar,
Reactions: Indy13

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Can anyone fix the expansion pack detect of the neods
I have this problem when i open neods it dont detect my expansion pack am I doing something wrong or its just neods detect for the expansion pack is bug

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can anyone fix the expansion pack detect of the neods
I have this problem when i open neods it dont detect my expansion pack am I doing something wrong or its just neods detect for the expansion pack is bug
have you tried the 0.21 version ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi