Hacking Need To Format An SD Card To A Previously Owned Modded Wii?? Help!?

TheNurseInBlack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I have a modded wii that I originally didn't mod myself so I don't know what the SD card files would be like in their original state but SD needs to be formatted to use it and I don't want to end up messing something up. I normally would just live with it but the VBA GX runs through the SD card and losing save files because of it is quite annoying.
Things I do know about the wii.
Wii version 4.3u
Homebrew Channel: 1.12 Io558 v 24.32
Nintendont Loader v4.425 Built Oct 14 2016 02:56:28 Firmware: 58.24 .32 Which currently loads through a USB so I can edit files with it.
Usb Loader GX Version: 3.0r1262 Can Load through the Usb too
Not64 Version 2016-2-09
Snes9x GX Version 4.3.2
Visual Boy Advance GX Version 2.2.5 Coverv3
WiiMC 1.3.4
Mc Player CE 0.80 r658
Questions: Do I need to take a picture of all the settings so I can put them back to their original state?
This shouldn't ruin the system right?
Would I be able to play online with this wii? If yes should I? And is their a lot of risk to doing so?
Notes:
Do not hold back any info or videos I do not mind studying up for awhile before attempting at this. Really don't want to go at this without being entirely sure.

TheNurseInBlack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
Okay so I'm looking into the beginner guides and I still need some of these questions answered.
I still need to know if it's okay to go ahead and format the SD card of an already modded wii. The first step is to update the homebrew and that would require to start messing with the files.I'll need to download the CIOS which I will do by watching videos and reading this over and over again. From the complete google soft mod guide

New Questions:

I now know to use Letterbomb because I have version 4.3. I don't need online for this part still right? Just the Mac address?

Is using a wii loader a safer way to load the apps or should I just do it threw homebrew?

Can I make a NAND backup folder even though I'm in version 4.3u and can't use boot2? It's not restricted to boot2 right? And I can do this through the wii? And is this as safe as using boot2? I should be able to recover my system if it gets bricked?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can I make a NAND backup folder even though I'm in version 4.3u and can't use boot2?
Sure, Bootmii IOS is perfectly fine for creating a backup (you'll need a GC controller to restore via software, though)

And is this as safe as using boot2?
Creating the backup, sure - restoring it, a little less (you need relatively a lot more software -located in arbitrary positions of the nand- to run bootmii IOS compared to the boot2 version: what if the power fails halfway through?)

I should be able to recover my system if it gets bricked?
Of course, a hardmod will always be able to restore your nand backup (unless the chip actually burnt out)

Frankly, with the current availability and price of Wiis, it's not really worth the time and stress of worrying about full bricks (but do install Priiloader which provides a way out of banner bricks and theme semibricks - the relatively more common types of damaging user error - and a lot of nice extras)

I now know to use Letterbomb because I have version 4.3. I don't need online for this part still right? Just the Mac address?
Correct, not like there's any risk in being online

Is using a wii loader a safer way to load the apps or should I just do it threw homebrew?
Homebrew apps are always ran with a "loader" - the HBC by far is the most common one, but there are plenty of others (Loadmii, some USB loaders, even Priiloader itself)
Disc images are loaded via an USB loader (dedicated forwarder channels can be created, but that's an advanced topic for now)
Channels, whether official or homebrew, are installed to nand (an emunand can be created to install them on SD or USB, but that's an advanced topic for now. Not to be confused with the fake official "SD card menu" feature, which simply automates copying a channel, moved to SD after installation, back to the console for running it)

Would I be able to play online with this wii? If yes should I? And is their a lot of risk to doing so?
You would need to patch your games to use alternate servers, such as Wiimmfi. Some USB loaders can do this automatically if you enable the right option. Do note that in the case of Wiimmfi you need to register, which takes a week, and they have a strong no-cheating policy... No risk to the console

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: TheNurseInBlack

TheNurseInBlack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, Bootmii IOS is perfectly fine for creating a backup (you'll need a GC controller to restore via software, though)

Creating the backup, sure - restoring it, a little less (you need relatively a lot more software -located in arbitrary positions of the nand- to run bootmii IOS compared to the boot2 version: what if the power fails halfway through?)

Of course, a hardmod will always be able to restore your nand backup (unless the chip actually burnt out)

Frankly, with the current availability and price of Wiis, it's not really worth the time and stress of worrying about full bricks (but do install Priiloader which provides a way out of banner bricks and theme semibricks - the relatively more common types of damaging user error - and a lot of nice extras)
Alright I won't worry about the bricking thing. Maybe just some homework.

Correct, not like there's any risk in being online
Just making sure the Modify any Wii 4.3 & below guide said that it's an offline guide.

Homebrew apps are always ran with a "loader" - the HBC by far is the most common one, but there are plenty of others (Loadmii, some USB loaders, even Priiloader itself)
Disc images are loaded via an USB loader (dedicated forwarder channels can be created, but that's an advanced topic for now)
Channels, whether official or homebrew, are installed to nand (an emunand can be created to install them on SD or USB, but that's an advanced topic for now. Not to be confused with the fake official "SD card menu" feature, which simply automates copying a channel, moved to SD after installation, back to the console for running it)

You would need to patch your games to use alternate servers, such as Wiimmfi. Some USB loaders can do this automatically if you enable the right option. Do note that in the case of Wiimmfi you need to register, which takes a week, and they have a strong no-cheating policy... No risk to the console
Okay so as long as I patch my games(which I looked into right now) And patching games have no risk to my console or just using wiimmfi doesn't?

Also can you confirm if I should go ahead and format my current SD card then and just go ahead and start over? This won't cause any problems right(because it's already modded)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And patching games have no risk to my console or just using wiimmfi doesn't?
All patching does is to disable the SSL requirement, and optionally change the address of the original server (else you'll use a custom DNS to redirect the game), by itself it doesn't add any code to the game; of course, if the game was dangerous in the first place, it would stay dangerous (however there is no known malware for the Wii, just outdated guides/homebrews commonly associated with downgrading written before stubbed IOSes that would result in a brick if actually used: as a rule of thumb, when using a system tool made before 2011, double check what it's going to install)

Also can you confirm if I should go ahead and format my current SD card then and just go ahead and start over?
Yep, if you are worried... nothing forbids you from backing it up, or using a different card :) (Older games and homebrews will require a non-SDHC card)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
Okay so I'm looking into the beginner guides and I still need some of these questions answered.
I still need to know if it's okay to go ahead and format the SD card of an already modded wii. The first step is to update the homebrew and that would require to start messing with the files.I'll need to download the CIOS which I will do by watching videos and reading this over and over again. From the complete google soft mod guide

New Questions:

Can I make a NAND backup folder even though I'm in version 4.3u and can't use boot2? It's not restricted to boot2 right? And I can do this through the wii? And is this as safe as using boot2? I should be able to recover my system if it gets bricked?

The complete softmod guide is fine, except DON'T install d2x v10-beta53 like it recommends. Use v10-beta52 in both slots, or better yet just use v8 if you have a normal Wii.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between v8 and v10?

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between v8 and v10 on normal Wiis. v8 doesn't work on vWii at all.

beta52 is the same as v8 with a few changes that may improve compatibility with some HDDs.
beta53 added the ability to use either USB port and has plug n play support for USB controllers but has compatibility issues with some game titles and drives.

Essentially v9 was introducing a lot of problems for some users so v10 split the changes with two versions and v9 was canned.

Reactions: Ryccardo

TheNurseInBlack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooooo turns out it didn't need to be formatted lol. I guess there was an error the first time putting it in. But now I added priiloader, internet, and some other small protections.
Thank you everyone from stopping by to help a noob like me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one