Need Sci-Fi show/movie suggestions

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm starting season five now, why are there only 6 episodes a season?

That's how things were generally filmed in the UK at that time, and even today. 6 (or perhaps 8) episodes is pretty standard and enabled British TV to cater to a broad range of different interests.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well most of the Sci-Fi flicks I've seen have been mentioned by now (which reminds me that I've seen way too many movies, I've seen about 99% of the films mentioned), but some that I haven't seen on here yet are Short Circuits 1 & 2, movies about a robot that's come to life after a freak accident and has to run from the autorities that want hm back (he's designed as a war machine).
On the Japanese side there's Casshern(live action), which is visually stunning (according to most who've seen it, I was not all that impressed with some parts to be honest), but depending on the cut the story can apparently be quite a mess (you can also watch Casshern Sins, which, though an anime, is not your run of the mill action anime(completely different story/ main character though, only some visual/naming consistencies(the main character is named Casshern and looks similar, there are other Cassherns too)).
Another unusual anime is Voices of a Distant Star, which is a short film about two people trying to remain in contact through texts which take longer to arrive the further one of them travels (it might not sound Sci-Fi like, but one party travels through space to take part in a war with an alien species).
Heh, even though you said you didn't want to watch anime, half of what I suggested is anime. Still CS was more of an afterthought due to Casshern (which is not an anime), and Voices is rather short (my copy is 25 min.) so it might be okay. (Interstella is great by the way, if only for the soundtrack (which coincidentally :P is very important in the movie))

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, another thought came to mind: Archer.

I know I've mentioned it before, but it's well worth checking out (And I'll count as science fiction because a) it takes place in a sort of alternate history, and b) Krieger). It's one of those shows that manages to mix a lot of different humor and character interaction into a single, funny product.

I saw the entire first season on Netflix, now I'm just waiting for them to put up the second season. But yes, it's hysterical.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just realized that I didn't mention Starship Troopers yet, which is weird as it's one of my favourites. Oh, let the corn and cheese fest begin...

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually Starship Troopers is study worthy if you take it as satire, which in fact it is. Is this only film study? If not there are more than a few books I would like to recommend.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually Starship Troopers is study worthy if you take it as satire, which in fact it is. Is this only film study? If not there are more than a few books I would like to recommend.

Only film but I need an accompanying textbook to read with it, something about my study. I'm guessing you wanted to suggest like sci-fi novels but if you know of any good reads on the sci-fi genre then that'd be great as well.

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This probably wont fit your needs but it does give remarkable insight into the genre, although from an authors perspective not a film makers. Heinlen never had much success with hollywood and this will give you insight into why the very best of the genre is so tough to transfer onto the big screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumbles_from_the_Grave

EDIT: Also if you consider things like Star Trek and Starship Troopers, you could explore why the genre is so suitable to address modern human issues through the use of futuristic atmosphere and aliens/robots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system