Hacking Need help getting dscovered working on R4i Gold 3DS

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got an R4i Gold 3DS flash cart for my daughter's DS. She can't read yet, so I'm trying to get dscovered to work with the latest version of wood.

I'd like it to boot into dscovered for her if possible, if not, launching it is ok too.

I was trying to go off this tutorial:

I wasn't able to get the ds to load into the menu copying the _ds_menu.dat as that guide suggests, so I had to replace it with the one from wood 1.55. The card works fine using straight wood, but I want to change the interface for her.

I can manually run dscovered and get into it but I can never get the games to load directly from it. I have done the hex edit to change from fat1 to fat0 on the loader file and it didn't fix any problems.

This video talks about the hexedit. I read in another thread you need to do this for older R4 cards, so I tried it.

My latest attempt was to wipe the sd and copy over wood first, then copy over dscovered not overwriting the _ds_menu.dat file. I then copied over the hex edited loader_r4wood.nds file that was edited to point at fat0. I then copied over the roms into a games folder on the sd, and ran the dscovered windows utility to download covers for those roms and update the card.

I can get into wood, then run dscovered. I see all the games with covers, but I am unable to load them. Originally I got this error:

Unable to find akloader.nds
Please make sure akmenu4.nds is renamed to akmenu.nds in the root of your card.

I did what it said renaming the file to akmenu.nds and now it attempts to load the game but goes right back into dscovered. If I turn off the ds and turn it back on then the game loads directly as I go into the r4 card (no wood menu). After this happens I cannot get back into the wood menu without recopying files from the wood 155 directory to the sd.

I think I'm close but I'm not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated since this ds is xmas present for my daughter.

Thanks!

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aww... could you try putting wood as akmenu.nds? actually I have not used original dscovered driver, I already forgot the detail...

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you mean the wood loader? I renamed the wood r4.nds to akmenu.nds and tried it. When I run a rom inside dscovered it now returns back into wood showing the rom list. Then if I try to go back into dscovered from within wood it gives a blue error message on the bottom screen saying FAT error.

Is there a newer version or alternate loader I should try? I see no nds file in the wood 155 directory structure.

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've rebuilt a couple of different sd cards from scratch of different sizes as tests. With my current 2gb card I'm getting into dscovered after running it within wood and when I select a game it says loading on the top screen, then both screens go white for a few seconds then the top screen turns solid blue and I see the memory card and folders without text on the bottom screen like I see on initial wood bootup. Any button press locks it up.

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My daughter cannot read yet, so I want her ds that I am giving her for xmas to be able to select games based on cover image.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another option:
1. install MoonShell 2.06 as primary kernel
2. put wood r4.nds as /moonshl2/extlink/nds.woodr4.nds

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have any luck doing the above. When I try MoonShell 2.06 the card never loads like it doesn't like the kernel. I tried running moonshell 2.06 and 2.10 from inside wood, then running dscovered but that did the same thing I see running directly under wood.

Can you give me more instructions?

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you boot up DScovered, go to the settings menu and check "loader_r4wood.nds" (You can see a screen of it from the 2nd video you posted at 2:28). Now, going back to your Wood R4 firmware, go to settings and look for something like "Autorun" and set it to "Enabled" (assuming the woodr4 firmware you have is up to date) (Sorry. I was thinking about Acekard <.<). Now try booting up a game again from DScovered and see if it'll work.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You will probably need to set it up similar to how it is set up for MAIO....the one that Mantis41 sort of used to pay mind to. IIRC the r4i gold team has it so that you can't just boot straight to another homebrew and you MUST go through woodR4. The set up in MAIO for the R4i Gold somewhat goes around that and you would be able to at least seemingly boot to DSCovered when you turn on the DS.

As for the actual issue with loading games...I can't remember anything about the loader_wood.nds, nor do I have my DS to test around files. You should first make sure that you selected using the loader_wood.nds in DSCovered (since I don't think it tells you the akmenu.nds thing if you have it selected...and what it does say might help me remember xD).

PsHayes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using loader_wood already in dscovered settings. I can't seem to get my r4i to boot directly into anything but wood 155 right now. Even if I rename the other kernel file to the same filename it doesn't seem to load. Hopefully there is some way I can modify dscovered to work via wood if that's my only option for booting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The...