Hacking Need help and info on which flashcard to get R4i or dstwo

Marcus McFry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, now before I say what I was wanting to say. I have read the card charts from here and what the cards do and don't. I just got my 3ds xl, games & all and I am aware that the 3ds is not hacked and won't play roms, The dstwo I am interested in because it does quite a bit, one I like is that it bypasses updates (i think), I wanted to play my old ds games on it without the bulk of carrying around all the cartridges. I don't really need snes/gba emulator as I can play those elsewhere. here is several questions i have:

If the 3ds is eventually hacked to play 3ds games, will it be implemented in an update to the dstwo or will a new card be created just for that?

In the meantime if I were to get a dstwo or r4i gold or regular r4i & still want to play my 3ds games, does the 3ds require forced updates to play 3ds games (like psp had with their games)? cause I read that updates make some flashcards unusable.

Does the r4i gold & dstwo playable and updated with every 3ds update or depending on the firmware the cards are rendered useless?

So I just want to play my ds games & be able to play my 3ds games for the time being. Would it be wise to invest in the dstwo or get the r4i gold, don't need a lot of stuff as stated but the "boot, updates without new hardware" on the dstwo intrigues me but i really don't know what that means lol. Sorry if I sound all over the place, not trying to disrespect and waste anyones time. I have searched through the internet to try and find the answers but didn't find it. Thanks in advance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - newegg.com is out of crystal balls and time machines at the moment, so unfortunately I can't look into the future and tell you.
(Seriously, come on.)

2 - Yes, new 3DS games need new 3DS updates. That's why the DSTwo is being pushed so heavily, since the only way to avoid updating a 3DS... is to use it as a DS, in which case you might as well just get a DS instead.

3 - DSTwo has never been blocked. R4i Gold has a few times needed new hardware (which means you need to buy a new one).

Reactions: nukeboy95

Marcus McFry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for the reply. I thought I'd ask of support for 3ds in the future cause I'm new to the 3ds/nds scene but I have seen many flashcards out there, some updated (dsone card updated to dstwo comes to mind) and thought I'd ask cause sometimes they offer newer cards with more support however idk if the newer cards are any more different than the older ones :\ so yeah I didn't think it'd hurt to ask.

So I'm assuming that people would want to bypass the updates (with the dstwo) due to if the 3ds gets fully hacked the hack would most likely be found in the older firmware. Like the psp/vita scene correct?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
We're not entirely sure on that. For example one of the (relatively)-recent Wii hacks (smash stack) works on any firmware version, and so actually works in the Wii U's backwards-compatibility mode to run some Wii homebrew, so there's been a focus on try to make things firmware-independent, at least for a time.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
thank you for the reply. I thought I'd ask of support for 3ds in the future cause I'm new to the 3ds/nds scene but I have seen many flashcards out there, some updated (dsone card updated to dstwo comes to mind) and thought I'd ask cause sometimes they offer newer cards with more support however idk if the newer cards are any more different than the older ones :\ so yeah I didn't think it'd hurt to ask.

the DSOne was a original DS cart, made many many years ago and was never expected to get updates to allow it to work on the 3DS, but it got up to 4.5.0-10 which isnt bad

the DSTwo was the specific DSi/3DS flashcard due to the improved hardware and allow for Slot emulation since the DSi/3DS have no Slot 2
so considering the DSTwo is likely to see the 3DS to the end of its life still allowing for DS mode and Slot 2 emulation its not a bad card

Marcus McFry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the DSOne was a original DS cart, made many many years ago and was never expected to get updates to allow it to work on the 3DS, but it got up to 4.5.0-10 which isnt bad

the DSTwo was the specific DSi/3DS flashcard due to the improved hardware and allow for Slot emulation since the DSi/3DS have no Slot 2
so considering the DSTwo is likely to see the 3DS to the end of its life still allowing for DS mode and Slot 2 emulation its not a bad card

I'm now more inclined to invest in the dstwo then rather then put money on the R4i gold and eventually have to get the dstwo in the long run for use on the 3ds. I'm assuming that card works on the 3dsxl as well? Thank you so much for that information, Cheers :)

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I'm now more inclined to invest in the dstwo then rather then put money on the R4i gold and eventually have to get the dstwo in the long run for use on the 3ds. I'm assuming that card works on the 3dsxl as well? Thank you so much for that information, Cheers :)

there's no difference to it running on a XL, works the same on both

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o