NDS Cart Swapping patch?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Roboman, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Roboman
    OP

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    Cart swapping has never worked on 3ds. When running software in ds mode, as soon as a cart is removed the console seems to disable access to the cart slot until reboot. With the recent progress patching TWL firm, how (in)feasable do you guys think un-disabling cart swapping would be?

Its pretty annoying to have to reboot my 3ds every time I want to move some files onto my flash card. And I need some other way to dump my nds games.

Shadowxp13 likes this.
  2. I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    For the DS game dumping, if I'm not mistaken woodumper works as a dsi-ware. @Apache Thunder ?

3. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    iirc DSiWare doesn't have the ability to read from Slot1, at least last time I checked his project. Meaning woodumper would run, but couldn't access slot1 to actually dump from.

4. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Wasn't there something about retrying it until it init'd?

5. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I have been able to convert WoodDumper to DSiWare and run it in DSi mode. Card init works properly in DSi mode and wooddumper was able to init the slot without having to eject the cart first. Unfortunately wooddumper was compiled on old devkitarm, so wifi is broken and thus no way to actually use WoodDumper. WoodDumper slot2 version could work, but there's the issue with getting it to access SD which with normal DLDI drivers isn't yet possible.

I_AM_L_FORCE likes this.
  6. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Couldn't you store it in RAM?

7. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    There's not enough ram to store 99% of any DS game while in DSi/DS mode. DSi I think has 16MB or so ram and NTR mode only has 2MB. Besides. What will you do with the rom once it's in ram? It's got nowhere to go and it will be gone when you exit back to CTR mode.

8. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    I have no clue what I'm talking about by the way. Couldn't you store it in TWLnand? Do we have access to that?

9. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    TWLN partition is not accessible in NTR mode and just like with SD, you'd need speciallized DLDI drivers to get wooddumper slot2 version to be able to access NAND. Source code for latest wooddumper is not public otherwise we could have had it recompiled on newer devkitarm. There is source out there, but it's really old. :(

10. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Ah that blows. Is source for TWLsavefiler available?

11. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    TWLSaveFiler? TuxSH made that and yes it's public. But it uses certain service commands to do what it does. Not sure you can rom dump DS carts while in CTR mode from a Home Menu app.

12. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    It can read data from DS carts can't it? Or is it only certain partitions?

13. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    I haven't had a problem cart swapping with my R4i. I ran Drunken Coder's Homebrew menu and ejected the cart and put the games on and it continued to function.

14. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Cart access works differently in CTR mode when using Arm11 and the OS Nitnendo provides. Everything is done through services and what not. There is no "direct" hardware access for most stuff that Process9 on Arm9 handles. In CTR mode Arm9 handles crypto for slot-1 cards and Arm11 may have some access to it. Not sure. But Home Menu apps normally can't access slot-1 directly for dumping NTR cards. I don't think there's any service commands for it, so you'd need arm9 homebrew instead.

On what console are you doing this on? DS/DS lite did not power off slot when a cart is ejected like the DSi and 3DS does.

15. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Ah, so something like Uncart?

16. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    n3DS

17. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Unless you have a n3ds hardmodded in a particular way, that shouldn't be possible

18. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I think you either modded the slot so that the power off detection contact was bypassed or the slot happened to be defective/malfunctioned in a way that allowed you to do that. 99% of all 3DS and n3DS consoles power off the slot if you eject the cart and it can't be powered back on when in NTR/TWL mode. (under normal circumstances)

19. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    I didn't modify the cart slot. I'll attempt it on my o3DS and see what happens.

20. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    How does modding the cart slot work?