Homebrew NDS Cart Swapping patch?

Roboman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cart swapping has never worked on 3ds. When running software in ds mode, as soon as a cart is removed the console seems to disable access to the cart slot until reboot. With the recent progress patching TWL firm, how (in)feasable do you guys think un-disabling cart swapping would be?

Its pretty annoying to have to reboot my 3ds every time I want to move some files onto my flash card. And I need some other way to dump my nds games.

Reactions: Shadowxp13

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I have been able to convert WoodDumper to DSiWare and run it in DSi mode. Card init works properly in DSi mode and wooddumper was able to init the slot without having to eject the cart first. Unfortunately wooddumper was compiled on old devkitarm, so wifi is broken and thus no way to actually use WoodDumper. WoodDumper slot2 version could work, but there's the issue with getting it to access SD which with normal DLDI drivers isn't yet possible.

Reactions: I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been able to convert WoodDumper to DSiWare and run it in DSi mode. Card init works properly in DSi mode and wooddumper was able to init the slot without having to eject the cart first. Unfortunately wooddumper was compiled on old devkitarm, so wifi is broken and thus no way to actually use WoodDumper. WoodDumper slot2 version could work, but there's the issue with getting it to access SD which with normal DLDI drivers isn't yet possible.
Couldn't you store it in RAM?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There's not enough ram to store 99% of any DS game while in DSi/DS mode. DSi I think has 16MB or so ram and NTR mode only has 2MB. Besides. What will you do with the rom once it's in ram? It's got nowhere to go and it will be gone when you exit back to CTR mode.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's not enough ram to store 99% of any DS game while in DSi/DS mode. DSi I think has 16MB or so ram and NTR mode only has 2MB. Besides. What will you do with the rom once it's in ram? It's got nowhere to go and it will be gone when you exit back to CTR mode.
I have no clue what I'm talking about by the way. Couldn't you store it in TWLnand? Do we have access to that?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
TWLN partition is not accessible in NTR mode and just like with SD, you'd need speciallized DLDI drivers to get wooddumper slot2 version to be able to access NAND. Source code for latest wooddumper is not public otherwise we could have had it recompiled on newer devkitarm. There is source out there, but it's really old. :(

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TWLN partition is not accessible in NTR mode and just like with SD, you'd need speciallized DLDI drivers to get wooddumper slot2 version to be able to access NAND. Source code for latest wooddumper is not public otherwise we could have had it recompiled on newer devkitarm. There is source out there, but it's really old. :(
Ah that blows. Is source for TWLsavefiler available?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Cart access works differently in CTR mode when using Arm11 and the OS Nitnendo provides. Everything is done through services and what not. There is no "direct" hardware access for most stuff that Process9 on Arm9 handles. In CTR mode Arm9 handles crypto for slot-1 cards and Arm11 may have some access to it. Not sure. But Home Menu apps normally can't access slot-1 directly for dumping NTR cards. I don't think there's any service commands for it, so you'd need arm9 homebrew instead.

I haven't had a problem cart swapping with my R4i. I ran Drunken Coder's Homebrew menu and ejected the cart and put the games on and it continued to function.

On what console are you doing this on? DS/DS lite did not power off slot when a cart is ejected like the DSi and 3DS does.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cart access works differently in CTR mode when using Arm11 and the OS Nitnendo provides. Everything is done through services and what not. There is no "direct" hardware access for most stuff that Process9 on Arm9 handles. In CTR mode Arm9 handles crypto for slot-1 cards and Arm11 may have some access to it. Not sure. But Home Menu apps normally can't access slot-1 directly for dumping NTR cards. I don't think there's any service commands for it, so you'd need arm9 homebrew instead.

On what console are you doing this on? DS/DS lite did not power off slot when a cart is ejected like the DSi and 3DS does.
Ah, so something like Uncart?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I think you either modded the slot so that the power off detection contact was bypassed or the slot happened to be defective/malfunctioned in a way that allowed you to do that. 99% of all 3DS and n3DS consoles power off the slot if you eject the cart and it can't be powered back on when in NTR/TWL mode. (under normal circumstances)

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you either modded the slot so that the power off detection contact was bypassed or the slot happened to be defective/malfunctioned in a way that allowed you to do that. 99% of all 3DS and n3DS consoles power off the slot if you eject the cart and it can't be powered back on when in NTR/TWL mode. (under normal circumstances)
How does modding the cart slot work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea