Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-7
Post #126
There is one, i didn't have patience to find the other trough

Seems as though he just read the NAND? After reading it he attempted to boot into the 3DS' Menu and it wouldn't boot up.
yeah i thought that guy just got unlucky with soldering or something? who knows, but we can't say for certain that writing to the flash too much bricks your 3ds. (unless their is enough evidence)
vini9157, can you find the other one? when you have the patience :) i tried to see but i couldn't find it, maybe i missed it

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
likely just a solder fuck up. people really shouldn't open their electronics and solder shit if they don't have the skills.

not that this is a hard solder job... especially on a 3DS XL. i did it half asleep at 2 am at night almost in the dark...

that rewriting the nand would damage it is of course ridiculous, it is rewritten by the 3DS itself continuously throughout using it!

the toshiba nand is likely rated for usage in the order of millions of rewrite cycles...

vini9157

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah i thought that guy just got unlucky with soldering or something? who knows, but we can't say for certain that writing to the flash too much bricks your 3ds. (unless their is enough evidence)
vini9157, can you find the other one? when you have the patience :) i tried to see but i couldn't find it, maybe i missed it

sy but its 14 pages

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
sy but its 14 pages
don't worry :)
likely just a solder fuck up. people really shouldn't open their electronics and solder shit if they don't have the skills.
not that this is a hard solder job... especially on a 3DS XL. i did it half asleep at 2 am at night almost in the dark...
that rewriting the nand would damage it is of course ridiculous, it is rewritten by the 3DS itself continuously throughout using it!
the toshiba nand is likely rated for usage in the order of millions of rewrite cycles...
yeah like, i was under the impression accessing nand is what you are limited to do if something/most things are bricked. like ps3, you need to use a flasher. kindle, you need to use a flasher, i guess it is the same for many things, you just need to have access to the nand, and as long as you do that you are fine.

if we were dumping/writing the kernel from gateway (imagine), then yes, if it fails and it bricks, you are stuck.
but since we actually have access to the hardware, we are fine. (unless there is proof we are not)

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, the actual running kernel is just in-memory bits, ultimately loaded from the nand in the first place, so it's hard to brick that way too. only real way to brick the 3ds once you have a 3ds flash with valid nand dumps as back is to somehow screw up the actual bootloader I suppose. not sure if that is even possible.

elMagnate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Does anyone feel the kindness of doing a Tutorial in the next weeks? I don't really want to fuck up my 3DS XL, and I know I can.

jeepguy_1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of wiring a micro USB port into one of the corners currently used for a strap. Then using some epoxy to hold it in place.
47589-0001.JPG

Then I would use a micro USB sync cable to connect it to an SD adapter, to my PC. Any thoughts?
Multi_functional_Portable_Mini_Digital_Micro_USB.jpg

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Exactly what's being done to my 3DS XL except I'm having a mini USB port installed which will connect to a USB SD card adapter via a spliced mini USB cable.

jeepguy_1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is it that windows always wants to format my 3dsxl as it does not recognize its format? its just that no one else seems to come across this, ive atempted this over a couple of weeks now and still no luck, ive even change sd card readers and went out and brought more appropriate wire and redid and rechecked.... one thing i have noticed is under windows disk management it does say drive H unknown 950MBs...

Does soldering the points to the built in SD port work? I haven't seen any details on this method.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

remember software routines have some sort of anti-brick routines. (crc checks, if true one write, next page, if false, skip and mirror faulty page).

Compared to writing a huge block of data at once 1:1, that fails suddenly can corrupt the whole crc'd page (n:1), thus bricked that area onwards (bad crc).

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
remember software routines have some sort of anti-brick routines. (crc checks, if true one write, next page, if false, skip and mirror faulty page).

Compared to writing a huge block of data at once 1:1, that fails suddenly can corrupt the whole crc'd page (n:1), thus bricked that area onwards (bad crc).

what about that would make it brick the 3ds anyway? as long as your bootloader is fine, you can reflash your valid dump...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the point is, if there is a bad block, even with a valid dump, you will just keep trying to write to that, and screwing up the whole thing as no remapping takes place. Where as with software (3ds updating), the bad block would be remapped to the reserved area and all would be fine. Least that's how I read it.

Same used to happen with the 360, before the software that flashed a hacked nand image was updated to handle it automatically, you had to remap bad blocks manually before flashing. If you didn't and the block was in a critical area=brick.

You still have to remap bad blocks in the image now,when you are writing via hardware flasher, although the software that prepares the image remaps the blocks for you these days.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I think the point is, if there is a bad block, even with a valid dump, you will just keep trying to write to that, and screwing up the whole thing as no remapping takes place. Where as with software (3ds updating), the bad block would be remapped to the reserved area and all would be fine. Least that's how I read it.

Same used to happen with the 360, before the software that flashed a hacked nand image was updated to handle it automatically, you had to remap bad blocks manually before flashing. If you didn't and the block was in a critical area=brick.

You still have to remap bad blocks in the image now,when you are writing via hardware flasher, although the software that prepares the image remaps the blocks for you these days.

Exactly! and the moment you rewrite any NAND memory,(n address: 1 block -> n pages). To reach that page you have an address, that's crc'ed as whole block, then later as unique crc page. A valid crc means the existing data inside is either valid, or the physical block is ready to be written.

When a bad process (skips crc handling, electrical irrecoverable wear of cells, any other) mess up the current crc (block, page), you must try to read the block content first if possible, if not possible means the segment is dead hence, must be re-assigned, so when dereferencing the actual block, it's somewhere else. (unused area that's not available to user mode storage).

Now, as for the 3DS, the target NAND (SPI-mode micro controller), is the only one taking all these labors alone, as SD USB adaptors (with their own rules) vary, hence checkings could be from very nice, to a shoot in the dark. (didn't an user here reported his SD USB didn't write NAND, but could read?)

So yes, writing directly right now, depends entirely on the 3DS's NAND micro controller. A small fucked up bit, and a poorly handled "healthy" recovery sector, dirty line (bad solder), small electrical noise, etc could brick your NAND.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
ah this really makes sense, thanks :)
although, are we sure this is how the 3ds does it? crc-ing the blocks etc? or is that done for basically every device?

So yes, writing directly right now, depends entirely on the 3DS's NAND micro controller. A small fucked up bit, and a poorly handled "healthy" recovery sector, dirty line (bad solder), small electrical noise, etc could brick your NAND.
but permanently brick? or just that you cannot flash back the dump it 'needs' until you fix the blocks etc, which we are not able to do yet.

so this will only happen if you make a dump, and after that, one of your blocks goes bad, right?
how often does a block go bad? can it ever become 'good' again?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To my knowledge, an emmc nand is having it's own controller cpu on board, just like a sd card is having one. If a block became bad, that controller will map it to another location of the internal flash memory area. For the host, the whole memory area still shows up as one continous storage block without bad blocks. The total size of the storage area can become a little smaller, but usually some spare blocks are set aside to replace defective ones. A normal nand chip like the one used in the wii behaves differently. There it's the firmware that should keep track of the defective blocks and avoid them.
Pc harddisks nowadays use the same technique. I remember the first xt harddisk that had a list with all the defective sectors. You had to enter those in the low level format software settings. Nowadays, a harddisk appears as a perfect device as bad sectors are also automatically remapped to other areas of the disk surface.
So basically, you shouldn't worry about your backup not fitting anymore due to new bad blocks on the eMMC nand. There won't be any.

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, an emmc nand is having it's own controller cpu on board, just like a sd card is having one. If a block became bad, that controller will map it to another location of the internal flash memory area.
yup. same with new 4gb xbox'es. all remapping handled by controller. you can't see any bad blocks in your dump.

in other words: if you dump NAND chip with programmer and same NAND using emmc controller - they will look differently. size will be different also. emmc controller hides space reserved and used for bad blocks remapping and outputs data "virtually" as perfect, it's not RAW dumps.

forgot to mention that controller also protects NAND chip as well and won't let you brick it during bad writing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up