Help with CLK solder for NAND flashing hardmod

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xshion, Mar 24, 2017.

1. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    I need to hardmod my O3DS due to a brick (blue screen BOOTROM error), and opened the whole thing apart alredy. Watched some videos for how to solder the points but one thing is still obscure and its the CLK solder in the back of the board, the one inside a very small hole.

Here, from the hardmod thread, Im talking about the yellow point on the right picture:
    [​IMG]

How to I do it? Is there any tips, videos or pictures to help a solder newbie to do that one? I read that, from those three points close in the left picture, any of them will do the trick, but I didnt want to take the card slot off.

Thanks in advance.

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  3. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    couldn't be easier, you feed your stripped end of insulated wire through the hole in the board, and then just solder over it to secure the connection, see picture below

3ds-wire.jpg

xshion likes this.
  4. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    @testerfan
    So you need the solder to touch the copper inner circle of the hole? Wew, thats easier than I though. I was thinking that I'd need the solder would need to go INSIDE the hole and solder it to the other side, so I just need it to touch the point and solder the wire to fixate it?

Noticed one problem now, my wire is a bit too thick for the hole, only one filament would go inside... is that enough?

Last edited by xshion, Mar 24, 2017
  5. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    you need to look for a thin insulated wire like on the picture that you can feed through the hole, if you have a thick wire and try to solder it over the hole - it would be very easy to pull out the copper contact off the motherboard

xshion likes this.
  6. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Disaster incoming, obviously you don't know how to solder, so this will be an impossible task for you. You will damage your console.

7. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    The thing is, as of now I have no console. Its either leave it bricked forever or try do something. Failure will leave me on the very same place.

8. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Go practice on some old PCB boards you don't need, it may seem easy but if you screw up cause "that looks easy" then.... , well it's just shame.
    As vb said "Disaster incoming", also just got look for some crappy USB leads, should have thin wire in them.

9. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    It was one of the first places I checked, USB cable is also too thick for that hole, but I will check a headphone wire. But yeah, will practice a bit before doing that one.

Last edited by xshion, Mar 25, 2017
  10. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    You need 30 awg wire.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Understandable, or the other option is send it off to be repaired for a fee.

11. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    My only problem with this option is that I live in Brazil. Not only is hard to find people to do that around my state as even if I send the console to them, they make the mod and send back, our postal system is terrible and I could even lose the thing or have it damaged unless I pay the abusive prices for the best services like Sedex/Fedex (those services are really expensive here).

vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    message @mvmiranda or @V3N0MBR and check if either are local enough to arrange dropping the console off if your worried about it going missing in the post

13. xshion
    OP

xshion Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil
    Wow thats great, Brazilian modders! Will definately check with them, thanks!

14. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo