• Views 3,839
  • Replies 42

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The full cod got 8/10 in reviews I've read, so 7/10 is a pretty good score handheld.

Sadly, the gaming community is full of dicks who consider 7/10 to be a disaster.
7/10 isn't THAT bad. To me it is a good score.

Below 5 should be worrying.

I think it is more of the reasoning or comments behind the score whether than the score itself.

I'm going to request this to be closed. This thread was clearly started to create a flame war.
Why do you say that?

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
I think they have a point though. In this day and age could a DS really FPS hope for any better?. 6 player online just doesn't cut it for me. Massive missed opportunity, plus really Nintendo should have had a word to try and encourage such a massive franchise on to 3ds, with enhanced online framework etc. Not the developers fault for doing their job though, no win for them on that platform so yeah calling out N-Space for the decision is a nonsense.

Just skim read the Kotaku article too, isn't it spot on?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
10 points off because the game wasn't made for a different console. That's a very objective review. [/sarcasm]

Reactions: 2 people

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone from ONM actually replied to n-Space's FB post:
Hi guys, I wrote the ONM article. By saying it's "a shame n-Space wasn't ready to make the step up to the 3DS yet" I should have perhaps added the qualifier "in Activision's eyes" because I obviously do understand the industry and understand that in situations like this you make the game you're contracted to make on the format chosen by the publisher.

When I meant "ready" I wasn't referring to your ability, I was referring to the assumption that moving the game to 3DS would require a revamp of the game engine rather than a slightly modified version of the engine used in MW Mobilised and Black Ops DS, and that to get the game ready to launch at the same time as those on other formats - which have the benefit of an existing engine to work from - would be a difficult undertaking for any studio.

The review on the site is taken word-for-word from a review in the next issue of the mag, and as such the review only had a limited word count. I preferred to use those words talking about the game and how it "pushes the hardware to its limits with detailed environments and oodles of in-game speech" and is "a half-decent DS shooter with some fun online multiplayer", positive comments that are being ignored here.

In short, I respect the work you guys put into these games and I love how you continually push the DS to its limits, but my point was that these limits are reached and it's a shame Activision didn't decide the time was right for you guys to make a 3DS version.

I hope that clears things up and I eagerly anticipate n-Space's next title, because I'm actually a great admirer of your team's dedication to pushing the limits of the hardware you work on, something more third-party studios should be doing more often.

Kind regards

Chris Scullion
Games Editor

Official Nintendo Magazine
And for the guys who insulted me in the comments, please understand the whole situation before making knee-jerk reactions and insulting my profession. I liked the game, I was simply frustrated that n-Space weren't given the chance to make it for more powerful hardware and have more space to breathe rather than having to cram everything into a DS game.
And finally, I'd like to make it clear that the last time I reviewed n-Space games I gave COD MW Mobilized 80% and GoldenEye 78%, and we also gave Black Ops DS 75% (Black Ops) so it's rather unfair that we're getting such negative treatment for giving a 70% for the latest because it should be clear we don't have it in for n-Space.

70% isn't a bad score, by the way, far from it, but don't get me started on this Metacritic-obsessed time we live in where people obsess over two digits at the end of a review and completely ignore the hundreds of words that precede it.

P

pasc

OP
Actually two things:
1.) n-space DS Shooter always were fun with another/multiple persons
2.) Their Graphics engine NEVER ceased to amaze me, I mean seeing multiple helis, cars crashing and stuff blowing up ? Epic !
I guess its just their way of giving a "fading" handheld its last good title.

I case of Multiplayer I will however always prefer Metroid because it has the option to include bots and team up with a friend to blast them. If COD had that:

Win... sadly it hasn't got it, for whatever reason.

Yet that new game modes rock "

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly, that is a pretty bad reason to mark down a game; is sticking with legitimate complaints really that difficult?

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Admittedly, that is a pretty bad reason to mark down a game; is sticking with legitimate complaints really that difficult?

Any better score would give the impression it's a fair alternative to the real game.

Any better score would give the impression it's a fair alternative to the real game.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I don't think it deserves any more than a 7/10 regardless of what the review said. Does anyone believe that a Modern Warfare game on a dying handheld is going to be a GOTY? Quit kidding yourselves n-space. You got a generous score as it is. quit your bitching.

Also, first world problems.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it deserves any more than a 7/10 regardless of what the review said. Does anyone believe that a Modern Warfare game on a dying handheld is going to be a GOTY? Quit kidding yourselves n-space. You got a generous score as it is. quit your bitching.

They're not complaining about the score though. They're complaining about the fact that ONM's review was pretty much saying "a very good DS game, but they should've made it for 3DS". And that Kotaku's "Gut Check" feature is completely retarded (the 'reviewers' hating the game regardless of if they played it or not).

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

They're not complaining about the score though. They're complaining about the fact that ONM's review was pretty much saying "a very good DS game, but they should've made it for 3DS". And that Kotaku's "Gut Check" feature is completely retarded (the 'reviewers' hating the game regardless of if they played it or not).
How is 70% hating the game!?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's not, it's just that they got blamed and/or marked down for Activision's decision. The review states that the game "pushes the DS hardware to the limits", while most if not all of their complaints that would prevented it from getting a higher mark was due to hardware limitations.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

It's not, it's just that they got blamed and/or marked down for Activision's decision. The review states that the game "pushes the DS hardware to the limits", while most if not all of their complaints that would prevented it from getting a higher mark was due to hardware limitations.
Well it was a dumb idea for it to not be on 3DS, why shouldn't they state that?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Because that was the whole basis of the review, plus they blamed n-Space for it even though it wasn't their fault.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Because that was the whole basis of the review, plus they blamed n-Space for it even though it wasn't their fault.
They said it's a shame they weren't ready to make the step-up to the 3DS, that's not really blaming them.
Plus DS is a bit too under-powered for games like these, so 70% is a compliment.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm not a fan of CoD at all... especially the DS versions but that's really dumb.

It's not a bad score, but they shouldn't be marked down because they didn't bring it to a newer console/handheld.

I like how they don't hesitate to say "suck it" or anything haha. I like N-Space... I just need my Heroes of Ruin.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Did anyone actually read the ONM review? At the extreme end did they put
It's just a shame n-Space wasn't ready to make the step up to the 3DS yet because the added power could have made this one truly special.
How the hell could you even claim the 70% was due even remotely to the fact they didn't put it on the 3DS?? That makes no sense, that's just trying to blame Nintendo for something they mentioned extremely briefly at the end of the review.

It seems more like they're blaming Nintendo for what Kotaku said, which quite frankly is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Kotaku can suck it though.

^THIS
No one even bothered reading the review. They didn't give it this score due to it not being on the 3DS, they merely said it's a shame that it's not on the 3DS. Heck, maybe they did, who knows? but you can't imprint that from their review.
They did mistaken n-Space for Activision (as in the one who makes the decisions), but everything is legitimate.
And yes, 70 is pretty good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries