Hacking My WiiKey Installation - Success!

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned in another thread, I was a little worried about a guy who wanted my Wii with all accessories and to keep it overnight to mod. So I then found another guy local, but he had problems with Cyclowiz (what a crappy chip) and was too worried to install mine. I found he went to my Chiropractor, so I met him up there and he was nice enough to let me borrow his tri-wing driver.

Earlier in the day, I went to RadioShack, picked up a 15w soldering iron, small silver bearing solder, a slightly smaller tip (which I can't get freakin installed), some 30awg wire, and had to find flux at Home Depot. I had never soldered before, so I started by soldering the smallest, closest together points on the back of an old Matrox video card - with success! These actually were a bit prettier than my final result on the Wii (but probably more strong). See my original thread with a pic and discussion.

Taking the case apart wasn't a big problem. I used the instructions here which aren't bad, but forgot to mention the big EMI shield that needs to be removed. Also, they should mention (I read this elsewhere while reading about taking a laptop apart) to use a muffin tin to separate screws in order. This helped a lot!

After soldering a few more points as a test, I started on the WiiKey. In retrospect, I would have been a lot better off soldering to the board first, but I wanted to start the real job on the easier part. I also meant to secure it in a spot off of the board. I found a perfect little spot and cut wire that should have been long enough, but I should have left more for slack, as it didn't end up fitting - oh well. Also, the fact that the WiiKey kept sliding around was a real pain.

WiiKey soldered

When putting it on the board, I wished I had used longer wire, so it would be a bit easier to work with. I could have secured it there, and then cut it to length for the WiiKey. It would definitely have been best to start with the smaller points first, as the other wires were getting in the way a bit, and I didn't want to bend them too much. Too bad I didn't plan a little better.

drive soldered

My issue after all was done was that there was a good bit of bare wire from tinning, etc. I didn't want it to short out, so I devised a system to put small bits of electrical tape under and over each wire. I started with a small piece under the first, then put the wire down and put another piece on top, then another wire down and another piece - creating layers. Because of this, I won't have to worry about shorts. This required some dexterity. Check out the pic below.

shielded with tape

I then put a larger piece of tape across the whole back of the WiiKey, so I could repeat the same process there. As I mentioned, my wires were unfortunately not long enough to put the chip where I wanted, so I taped it down in the location where it would have been quick-soldered. I wish that electrical tape was better in holding things down, but it worked!

So I followed the directions in reverse to put it back together. For the most part everything was fine. Putting it back together is more of a pain than taking it apart though, I'd say. Also, it must be secured tighter than it was originally, as the top gamecube covers don't click in place when closed. Maybe I should loosen some screws?

I had spent some time burning some TDK Lightscribe media, complete with burned labels, and all at 4x. I tested them and got the media code, along with all of my other media codes for other disks, as I posted about here. It turned out they were CMC Magnetics, which had me worried from the start. They always have and (apparently) always will, make crap media.

The Wii partially loaded them. It took forever to load, made a lot of loud noises trying to read them, and gave DRE's all over the place. I grabbed some Playo media which was DVD-R, Mitsubishi Chemical, media code MCC 03RG20, burned the WiiKey setup disk, and it worked properly. I later burned NFS: Carbon on this media, and it worked perfectly. Mitsubishi's cars are horrible (I had one which broke two transmissions within a short period, and I know others - they're complete junk), but apparently, they make some good stuff, as long as it doesn't have any moving parts!

Let's hope my other 20 Lightscribe DVD+R discs (luckily Mitsu) work properly.

All in all, it wasn't so bad. It's a big disappointment that all my lightscribe discs aren't working though
unsure.gif
. And the soldering could have been a bit better, but with my shielding, I'm sure it'll be fine for a long time.

Any questions/comments, etc? Be nice!
wink.gif

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Congrats!!!

Maybe your Lightscribe DVD+R's didn't work since they weren't -R but +R...

I had taken time to burn some Verbatim x16 AZO+ DVD-R's before I had even orderd the Wiikey, I burnt them at x6 using Nero with an external (USB) LITE-ON 16xDVDRW SOHW-1673S drive. Got the Wiikey installed in my PAL Wii by a local modder yesterday and so far I haven't had one DRE. Had a short problem with Elebits NTSC-U, but just powered down the Wii, turned it back on and it worked.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe your Lightscribe DVD+R's didn't work since they weren't -R but +R...

That might be the case. I will be testing my other lightscribe +R media which is close to the same as the -R media (per the media codes), so that will be a good indicator if it is really the media code or type that matters more.

So do you guys think it is more a function of the WiiKey having an issue reading them or the drive? Probably the drive... right? I wonder because it would be great if an update addressed this!

teapea

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nice job - soldering looks fine considering you've never done much before.

if i were you though if you wires were too short, i'd have cut and extended them. it's dead easy to splice a bit more wire in with a soldering iron - and then wrap the join in insulation tape.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wires are far too long and they should really be soldered into the pad sideways instead of straight up, gnd (the red 1 on its own) is a dry joint i would reflow it...

fix them and ull have a perfect solder job
smile.gif

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you are putting a roof on your DVD board with all those tape 'shingles'. As long as it works and keeps working it's a good install. Thanks for sharing pics.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
wires are far too long and they should really be soldered into the pad sideways instead of straight up, gnd (the red 1 on its own) is a dry joint i would reflow it...

fix them and ull have a perfect solder job
smile.gif

I think the one that you're talking about was actually ok, and then I tried to add some extra solder on top which caused it to look like that. So the part underneath should be ok, I assume.

I'm only going to take it apart if I have a problem. It should probably be ok.

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, i was reading that your gamecube area covers dont click into place when you close them? i had tha problem when i was taking apart and puting the wii together.... that little black piece of plastic, make sure that its put into place properly
smile.gif
theres little knobbies that slide under the white plastic part of the wii case near the gamecube ports, if its not in there and slid under it the black sheet sticks up a little bit causing those lids to not close properly. easy fix
wink.gif
hope that helps

otherwise great job
wink.gif

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i put no tape on my wiikey...

its just solderd, hopefully thats good enough.

Better safe than sorry!

i soldered it on pretty good.

i think im safe
wink.gif

melting your faceplate is not... LOL
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Louse76 @ Mar 22 2007, 07:09 PM)
Any other thoughts? How do you like my photography? Ha!

The depth of field is so low when in super macro mode like that!

nice soldering job, nice a neat, not big blobs of solder everywhere
biggrin.gif

o, and nice photography..."super macro mode"... did you take them with the Canon S2 IS (i have one and it has "super macro mode"

mallfouf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good job Louse76

I installed my wiikey last night, but i soldered it directly onto the dvd drive. It did require some more precise work to make sure the solder doesn't connect to the various points on the drive, since they're so close to each others, but i'm glad to say i did it. I am planning on doing another sometimes over the weekend, and i'll plan on taking some pics and share them with you guys.
You are right, putting the wii back together is much more work than taking it apart.
happy.gif

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind words and criticisms. And thanks for the tips - especially including the one about the gamecube doors not closing completely. I'll have to check into that.

As far as the camera, it's a classic Olympus C-5050. It is one of the best cameras that Olympus ever produced. It has a wonderful f1.8 lens and has great image quality (those pics were really without even trying). Plus, the super macro mode is great, as I can get so close that my lens was touching the board, and it would still focus! I should have tried photographing through my lupe, I really could have gotten some detail - though my job wasn't THAT good, haha!

The thing I'm most proud of are my "shingles" haha!

mallfouf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Allright, i have soldered my wiikey onto my wii, and took a snapshot of the final product. I tried to keep everything clean, and as simple as possible.

Here's a snapshot:

IMG_1040_cr.jpg

Here are my steps.

1. Melt the led that's on the board with some heat. The goal is not to remove the led from the board, but to make it easier to respond to the heat and combine with the led i add. That's my trick to make everything responsive to the heat applied.

2. Put some led on the point right above C2 so the chip sticks to the board and not move. You have to align it right from the beginning, and if you don't you can heat up the led a bit, and move the chip to fit the right position while the led is liquefied.

3. Same procedure for the point under C2.

4. For the rest of the points, i would start from the top of the crescent, and go down. The trick here is to put a small amount of lead on the chip's point, and with the tip of your solder iron, melt it a bit more to try to connect it to the point on the dvd board. That's a very tricky procedure and strongly recommend practicing. It's a paint brush motion with finesses and patience.

Lastly, i noticed something related to the Triwing screws. When you're putting the wii back together, all the Triwing screws go into the lower half of the system, and the Phillips screws go into the higher half. Keeping that in mind makes the process much easier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next