Hardware My system seems to be corrupted?

OMDavidsonDesign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping I've posted this in the correct place but please point me in the right direction if otherwise,

So, I just bought a second hand New 3DS XL, firmware version 11.5.0-38E and I've soldered up the hardmod following instructions in the forum.

Everything has gone well, I have everything I need, I'm a decent solderer, and I've double checked all the connections with a multi-meter.

however... this is where it goes wrong...
I'm using the Anker SD card reader suggested on the guide and I get a bootrom error screen as expected, only its a slightly different error to what I've seen in tutorials:

00F800FF
DFDFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000005 00000000

But I continued anyway, plugged the Anker reader into my PC and the message to format the drive pops up, again as expected. I click exit but then another message pops up to say I can't access the drive because it doesn't contain a valid file system... is that normal? is it corrupt?

If I ignore that error and dump the NAND.img using Win32DiskImager it seems to dump successfully, but when I try to flash the new NAND.bin back onto the system it fails because of an "I/O error"

The dumped NAND.img however does seem to be corrupt... so not sure what's going on there

I'm getting really frustrated as I don't understand the problem... the DS functions normally when it's not plugged in so the device isn't bricked, but its not a happy bunny!

One final thing, in the tutorial on 3ds.guide there are instructions such as "copy examplefile.something to the root of your SD card" ...when it says that, is it talking about the hardmodded 3DS? or do I need to plug in the microSD card from inside the DS to my PC separately?

Avellea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure that the small plastic piece didn't fall out of the SD card reader, or it is in the right position. That happened to mine and I got the I/O error. If it does, just take some tape and wrap it tightly around the SD card reader.
When it is talking about the root of the SD card, take the SD card out of the 3DS you are hacking, and put the file on the root of THAT SD card. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte