Hacking My System menu 4.0 install guide

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
I'm not trying to steal this thread, but I wanted to be sure that the people that are having issues running the update directly from Nintendo can easily solve their slow download problem by using Waninkoko's "Firmware Updater 4.0". With Waninkoko's method, you're not downloading anything from Nintendo.

See my super-easy tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143482

rolleyes.gif
Firmware Updater 4.0 IS downloading stuff from Nintendo servers
how do you thing you get System Menu 4.0 and required IOS ? Do you think Waninkoko created them by itself lol ?
I would assume that the Firmware Updater 4.0 is downloading the updates from a Teknoconsolas server somewhere. Waninkoko has patched the IOS's, and these are the ones that get installed. I don't think Nintendo would allow Waninkoko to store his patched IOS's on their servers! LOL!

wacko.gif

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No all it does is download the needed files only from nintendos servers to run 4.0

IOS60, IOS61 and System menu 4.0

(this way you retain any ios you had already hacked on the wii)

the IOS61 and 60 are not patched using his installer, and that is why we do it like in my guide

NOTE: i prefer the full nintendo installer due to new games needing the ios files.

you can always use IOSdowngrader to get trucha back later anyway

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
alright then so what are the downsides besides loss of starfall/preloader and those sorts of things

the main downside is that if you previously installed CIOScorp (or whatever .....ii guides) to run backup from system menu, it won't work anymore on 4.0
the reason is that IOS60 does not have the custom DIP module patched in so backup are not recognised by the disc channel

but it won't last very long I bet

a minor downside is that if you accidentally delete the homebrew Chanel and want to install it back, you won't be able to do it because the TP hack is blocked by the System Menu

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a way to update my Wii without wifi?
I can't find a IOS60-64-....wad for my PAL Wii so far.

Does someone have a direct Download Link from
the Nintendo Servers?

This won't be illegal at all but send it via PM.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kongsnutz said:
No all it does is download the needed files only from nintendos servers to run 4.0

IOS60, IOS61 and System menu 4.0

(this way you retain any ios you had already hacked on the wii)

the IOS61 and 60 are not patched using his installer, and that is why we do it like in my guide

NOTE: i prefer the full nintendo installer due to new games needing the ios files.

you can always use IOSdowngrader to get trucha back later anyway
Okay... So if this is the case, why does Waninkoko's ReadMe file say, "...Thanks to it you can keep some features like Trucha bug that affected first IOS versions..."? Wouldn't this mean that the IOS's are patched??

Just curious...

unsure.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
I would assume that the Firmware Updater 4.0 is downloading the updates from a Teknoconsolas server somewhere. Waninkoko has patched the IOS's, and these are the ones that get installed. I don't think Nintendo would allow Waninkoko to store his patched IOS's on their servers! LOL!

wacko.gif

it download the official IOS and THEN the aplication patches it on the fly... this is an opensource method introduced by patchmii/twiizers and is now used everywhere (CIOS installer, IOS Downgrader, etc)

patched IOS are not stored anywhere, this would be illegal for a website to host them

QUOTE said:
Okay... So if this is the case, why does Waninkoko's ReadMe file say, "...Thanks to it you can keep some features like Trucha bug that affected first IOS versions..."? Wouldn't this mean that the IOS's are patched??

Just curious...

this is a mistake
IOS60 (the one used by System Menu 4.0) is patched (exactly like what IOS downgrader do)
IOS61 is not patched (it's only used by the New Shop Channel, do not require to be patched, nothing indicates that Waninkoko downloads it ayway)
System menu is not patched (afaik)
Shop Channel is not patched (is it even downloaded ?)

you can see this as a selective update

I also prefer the official update ways preceded by a patched IOS60 installation
patched IOS60 won't be overwrite by the official update because the version number did not change

Is there a way to update my Wii without wifi? I can't find a IOS60-64-....wad for my PAL Wii so far.
Does someone have a direct Download Link from the Nintendo Servers? This won't be illegal at all.

there is no WAD on nintendo servers
you will have to download each part and put them into a wad yourself, which is quite risky if you don't know what you're doing
the download link is somewhere on these forums, search for NUS servers

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:
alright then so what are the downsides besides loss of starfall/preloader and those sorts of things

the main downside is that if you previously installed CIOScorp (or whatever .....ii guides) to run backup from system menu, it won't work anymore on 4.0
the reason is that IOS60 does not have the custom DIP module patched in so backuop are not recognised by the disc channel

but it won't last very long I bet

a minor downside is that if you accidentally delete the homebrew Chanel and want to install it back, you won't be able to do it because the TP hack is blocked by the System Menu

Yep........ don't be dumb and think before moving files......................however if you installed ios60 using this guide you can make a copy of HBC on your sd card
if you delete it from wii you can get it back.....take precautions if that makes you feel better.

but yeh that DIP module will be hacked again soon i bet

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:

wacko.gif

it download the official IOS and THEN the aplication patches it on the fly... this is an opensource method introduced by patchmii/twiizers and is now used everywhere (CIOS installer, IOS Downgrader, etc)

patched IOS are not stored anywhere, this would be illegal for a website to host them
SO... What you're saying is that IOS60 and IOS61 ARE patched by Waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.0, correct??

unsure.gif

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IOS61 and IOS60 are not trucha patched using waninkoko's installer, you wont be able to install unofficial wads to SD and play them

NOTE: I'm currently in the live chat if you want my services haha

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kongsnutz said:
The IOS61 and IOS60 are not trucha patched using waninkoko's installer, you wont be able to install unofficial wads to SD and play them
So your patcher is the only thing that will allow unofficial WADs to be copied to the SD card?

unsure.gif

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't make the patcher.......but yes the installer will install IOS60 witha a trucha patch in it and that allows Hacked wads installed using wadmanager to copy to sd and run from there.

can delete from wii console after that too

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
kongsnutz said:

NOTE: I'm currently in the live chat if you want my services haha

are you SURE about that ?
I know the readme does no tell anything but this would not be very logic

patched IOS60 IS required to keep trucha disc working in system menu so I highely doubt waninkoko did not patch it

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jacob

Yup i'm sure it doesn't, i dunno why he wouldn't but yeh it doens't patch trucha into ios60 at all.

tried it on my second Wii just to test and nup still needed ppc_gba's one

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
ok, I see the point

there is an advantage to Waninkoko's one though

it does NOT install IOS16 and more generally only download required stuff to make the new System Menu and Shop channel work, leaving all the other IOS untouched, when the official updat e is modifying a bunch of older IOS

however, nobody knows yet what have been modified in the older IOS, maybe they have been improved (faster DVD access ?), maybe they just have been secured much (to prevent CIOSCORP for example ?)

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts exactly, all it does is install IOS60, IOS61 and system menu 4.0 as they are on the nintendo servers.

Maybe he didn't realise it uses ios60 for menu now........

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiikey 1.9s user here, NTSC-U console. I only had about 5 wiiware wads installed on the system as it was, so i loaded up the HBC and it asked me to update, which i did. Then i ran cISO36rev8 from waninkoko. Then i ran the new upgrade also from waninkoko. Everything went great. After install, HBC worked fine, and wadmanager 1.3 runs fine. I tried my Ocanara channel for cheats and it also works fine.

Now, whenever i copy a channel to the SD Card, it never boots them. I tried to move them at first, and it moves fine, but it never runs when you try to launch it, it keeps on saying FAILED TO LAUNCH. I deleted the gooey wad and re-installed it with wadmanager, and it worked fine on the NAND no problem. I tried copying it this time, and it worked if i had the channel on the NAND and the SD card, which is obviously pointless. So i deleted the channel from NAND and again, i would get the FAILED TO LAUNCH error message trying to play the game from the SD card. Tried 2 different wiiware games, same issue. Everything works fine off of the NAND, but obviously thats not what i wanted out of the firmware 4.0 upgrade.

Any help would be terrific.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
Wiikey 1.9s user here, NTSC-U console. I only had about 5 wiiware wads installed on the system as it was, so i loaded up the HBC and it asked me to update, which i did. Then i ran cISO36rev8 from waninkoko. Then i ran the new upgrade also from waninkoko. Everything went great. After install, HBC worked fine, and wadmanager 1.3 runs fine. I tried my Ocanara channel for cheats and it also works fine.

Now, whenever i copy a channel to the SD Card, it never boots them. I tried to move them at first, and it moves fine, but it never runs when you try to launch it, it keeps on saying FAILED TO LAUNCH. I deleted the gooey wad and re-installed it with wadmanager, and it worked fine on the NAND no problem. I tried copying it this time, and it worked if i had the channel on the NAND and the SD card, which is obviously pointless. So i deleted the channel from NAND and again, i would get the FAILED TO LAUNCH error message trying to play the game from the SD card. Tried 2 different wiiware games, same issue. Everything works fine off of the NAND, but obviously thats not what i wanted out of the firmware 4.0 upgrade.

Any help would be terrific.

We were just talking about this Jacob!!! LOL

@Quepaso

follow and use the installer in my guide on first page and all will be fine,

you only need to install ios60 using the installer

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Regarding to my las tpost and the fact quite all older IOS are also updated by the official update (including the addition of IOS16), I think I would do like this to be more secure:

1/ install cIOSrev8
2/ run IOS60 installer with IOS249 to patch the System menu IOS
2/ run Waninkoko 4.0 installer to get ONLY the new system menu, Shop Channel & IOS61 (for shop channel to work): IOS60 should not be overwrite since I already downloaded the last version

this way you get best of both world: I keep all my old IOS until someone REALLY analyse what has been added in this update and I have a System menu 4.0 with the ability to use fakesigned stuff

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
The point in Waninkoko's installer is,
It does selectively installs ios'es, it doesn't touch 9,12,14,14,15,17,21,22,28,31,33,34,35,36,254 hence keeping the trucha bug in them..

Absolutely it doesn't patch either ios 60 or 61 or the rest of the ios's it installs... so you need to do that afterwards to introduce the trucha bug again...

ps: need confirmation if it does installs stub 30, 50, 51

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeh Jacob, that is a good way and the way i did my second wii.

i however want the new ios files since games will need em later.

maybe i'll add to the guide for 2 ways to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    When it's low on gas he just dumps a gallon of bud wiser inside it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh that be wasting it, I'd drink it and walk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have your homes plumbing system connected to the factory
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That would be cool. I'd get drunk when showering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You did that in elementary
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty you could get the basic idea watching a few episodes
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to buy a battery for my truck last week, freaking $280. I remember when batteries used to be like $50.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa where did you buy it from? Autozone? Autozone has their stuff overpriced, Sams club and walmart is cheaper
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa the 50$ lifetime warranty ones, yall had it good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta buy new windshield wipers pretty soon least they're cheap so many different brands these days
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Costco actually, Its a Diehard battery.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Heard ceramic is the material to go with now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But mine has 5 hamsters in it...Top of the line.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I thought batteries came with 6 hamsters? what did you do to the 6th hamster?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Him being in Ohio probably fried it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hot seller in Ohio https://a.co/d/5M1McyB
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These are selling out quickly, hard to find:
    sprinfieldcookbook-png.458855
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think it would have documents on that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This damn tower fan is leaking oil lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe its made by Diddy Co.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got arrested flipping the switch to hide all evidence
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So that's why every useless gadget has wifi now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet lube sales have plumented...
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I bet lube sales have plumented...