Hacking My System menu 4.0 install guide

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can't load backups through disc channel until someone finds a way to patch ios60 to do it like they patced the loading through disc channel on ios30.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kongsnutz said:
timtlm said:
kongsnutz said:
For anyone that want's to keep trucha after updating using my guide, just run IOS DOWNGRADER and let it do it's thing.

NOT CIOS Downgrader.

IOS downgrader? I know that this is the first part of downgrading your wii back to 3.2, and I know that it doesn't officially downgrade your firmware, but I don't really understand what this does. If I do this, will I lose any other features like being able to play from the sd card?

IOS downgrader, just downloads old IOS files (with the trucha bug) and puts em on the wii........ doesn't actually downgrade the wii.

You won't lose SD loading as IOS60 won't be downgraded.

Ok, after talking with kongsnutz, I used the IOS downgrader (not the cIOS firmware downgrader). After that my custom GH games worked through the disc channel. So, to summarize:
started on 3.2U
WiiKey 1.9s v1
installed cIOS rev8
installed the IOS60 using kongnutz guide
upgraded to 4.0U using wii system menu
ran IOS downgrader

All my backups work through the disc channel including custom GH games and PAL games regionfrii to NTSC. Madworld works without asking for an update, so I still have all the IOS files I need for that game after using IOS downgrader. My wiiware games legal and illegal work from the system menu and the SD menu. I can still install wad files through the wad manager.

So, everything works exactly the same as it did for me before, but now I have the SD card functionality. Yes, I know preloader, starfall, and CIOSCorp don't work on 4.0, but I never had those installed before.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that timtlm, i added that quote to first page........
smile.gif

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wanting to do this but I have kind of botched my wii about 2 weeks ago trying to install preloader when I already had gamma on my wii.

When i start my wii it takes like 10 seconds before the "press A to continue" screen comes up.

If I use this install and then update to 4.0 like the intructions say, do you think it will fix my start/restarting delay?

Thanks

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
kongsnutz said:
Just make sure that you read about the wads first before installing them, make sure they are from your region, if in doubt don't install it.

So wait, I can't play NTSC WiiWare/VC on my PAL Wii anymore?
The PAL versions suck and most don't work with my VGA cable.
I know I won't even be able to launch them now due to no Starfall/Preloader, but I figured I could still use free the wads.
What is this banner brick?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zaiga said:
I tried to move SSB 64 to my SD card, but it said that it could not be moved. Is that normal?

try re-installing IOS60 if not then it's not from your region or it's not region free

BlindDude said:
I am wanting to do this but I have kind of botched my wii about 2 weeks ago trying to install preloader when I already had gamma on my wii.

When i start my wii it takes like 10 seconds before the "press A to continue" screen comes up.

If I use this install and then update to 4.0 like the intructions say, do you think it will fix my start/restarting delay?

Thanks

Yep should do

chr0m said:
QUOTE(kongsnutz @ Mar 27 2009, 01:58 PM)
Just make sure that you read about the wads first before installing them, make sure they are from your region, if in doubt don't install it.

So wait, I can't play NTSC WiiWare/VC on my PAL Wii anymore?
The PAL versions suck and most don't work with my VGA cable.
I know I won't even be able to launch them now due to no Starfall/Preloader, but I figured I could still use free the wads.
What is this banner brick?

Yes use free the wads to region free the......well wads hahahaa that'll will work, i still have some converted wads from NTSC on my Pal 4.0 works fine

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your answer to chr0m's post confuses me,, So, I have a NTSC wii.. Can I use your method Kong?
You say you have a pal.. should I do it?

Thanks

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
kongsnutz said:
Yes use free the wads to region free the......well wads hahahaa that'll will work, i still have some converted wads from NTSC on my Pal 4.0 works fine

So if I free the wads I won't get a banner brick?
In the past I used NTSC Wiiware/VC by simply installing them as they were and using starfall region free to make them work.

If I get a banner brick for whatever reason can I simply boot the autoboot Zelda? I have a wiikey. I suppose I need to have the twilight hack save on my Wii before I get the banner brick?
Is it possible to play TP normally with a hacked save as I still haven't finished it yet
smile.gif

So many questions!

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have some questions. My Wii is a chipped wiikey v1 w/1.9g. JPN set with 3.2J before the trucha bug fix was introduced in a second 3.2J update. If I update :

1) Would games that have been wiiscrubbed + wiifri before still be able to run thru the disc channel?
2) My HBC is the version that still is able to install elf/dol, does it need an update before the 4.0 install?
3) Can't remember what ver my wad installer is probably 1.2/1.3, will I need to update beforehand?
4) Now that it supports SDHC and able to run VC games thru it, does it mean the ones installed on the wii itself can be deleted?
5) What are the IMPORTANT CISOs etc needed to be installed prior to the update?

Thanks....

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I installed Tetris Party and tried to move it to my SD card, and right after it did, I exited out from the system menu and it said "The system files are corrupted." But when I turned off my Wii and turned it back on, it would still work. As if nothing happened..

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i really want to know what happens to the people that use Softmii 2.1.1? i have preloader, cIOScorp and custom themes all that when i upgrade will i still be able to have custom themes? also is there a way to play games in disc channel on 4.0? should i just wait untill they introduce a cioscorp?
is it recommended to upgrade?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlindDude said:
Your answer to chr0m's post confuses me,, So, I have a NTSC wii.. Can I use your method Kong?
You say you have a pal.. should I do it?

Thanks

Yes do it, Only install IOS60 and with the wads just make sure to run em through freethewabs before installing them or they will fail to load

chr0m said:
kongsnutz said:

So if I free the wads I won't get a banner brick?
In the past I used NTSC Wiiware/VC by simply installing them as they were and using starfall region free to make them work.

If I get a banner brick for whatever reason can I simply boot the autoboot Zelda? I have a wiikey. I suppose I need to have the twilight hack save on my Wii before I get the banner brick?
Is it possible to play TP normally with a hacked save as I still haven't finished it yet
smile.gif

So many questions!

If you get a banner brick on 4.0 using a mod-chip you can probably fix it, just make sure that the wads are region free or your region before installing.

Bloodlust said:
I have some questions. My Wii is a chipped wiikey v1 w/1.9g. JPN set with 3.2J before the trucha bug fix was introduced in a second 3.2J update. If I update :

1) Would games that have been wiiscrubbed + wiifri before still be able to run thru the disc channel?
2) My HBC is the version that still is able to install elf/dol, does it need an update before the 4.0 install?
3) Can't remember what ver my wad installer is probably 1.2/1.3, will I need to update beforehand?
4) Now that it supports SDHC and able to run VC games thru it, does it mean the ones installed on the wii itself can be deleted?
5) What are the IMPORTANT CISOs etc needed to be installed prior to the update?

Thanks....

1. = yes

2. = no

3. = yes use 1.3

4. = Yes can delete em

5. = IOS249 (CIOS) and IOS60.......

Posts merged

QUOTE(Zaiga @ Mar 27 2009, 06:18 AM)
Okay, I installed Tetris Party and tried to move it to my SD card, and right after it did, I exited out from the system menu and it said "The system files are corrupted." But when I turned off my Wii and turned it back on, it would still work. As if nothing happened..

Strange....... is all working now?

QUOTE(Lubbo @ Mar 27 2009, 06:19 AM)
i really want to know what happens to the people that use Softmii 2.1.1? i have preloader, cIOScorp and custom themes all that when i upgrade will i still be able to have custom themes? also is there a way to play games in disc channel on 4.0? should i just wait untill they introduce a cioscorp?
is it recommended to upgrade?

No any custom menu's/themes or CIOScorp/Preloader will be uninstalled

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm -realllllllly- sorry for asking what is probably such a stupid n00b question but...

I'm having trouble finding and installing IOS249 rev8. I followed the links in the guide, and downloaded IOS36-64-v1042.wad and it's installer. Is that the same thing as IOS249 rev8? Once again, sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks!

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxle said:
Alright, I'm -realllllllly- sorry for asking what is probably such a stupid n00b question but...

I'm having trouble finding and installing IOS249 rev8. I followed the links in the guide, and downloaded IOS36-64-v1042.wad and it's installer. Is that the same thing as IOS249 rev8? Once again, sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks!

YEP

use waninkoko's rev8 installer with that wad on your sd card......... all good

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can someone briefly explain what causes a banner brick?
I've done some searching but still not quite clear.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chr0m said:
Can someone briefly explain what causes a banner brick?
I've done some searching but still not quite clear.

A banner brick is caused by a badly created WAD Channel.......usually because the banner used in that channel is of the wrong size/specs and so when it installs it screws up some things.

If you are using an Officialy released WAD from VC/Wiiware and it's either in your countrys region (U)(E)(J) or has been patched with freethewads program, you should never have any problems........just don't be silly when looking for wads on the net, read posts about them before installing or ask in that forum/download site before grabbing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sheesh lulz