Hacking My System menu 4.0 install guide

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
kongsnutz said:
chr0m said:
Can someone briefly explain what causes a banner brick?
I've done some searching but still not quite clear.

A banner brick is caused by a badly created WAD Channel.......usually because the banner used in that channel is of the wrong size/specs and so when it installs it screws up some things.

If you are using an Officialy released WAD from VC/Wiiware and it's either in your countrys region (U)(E)(J) or has been patched with freethewads program, you should never have any problems........just don't be silly when looking for wads on the net, read posts about them before installing or ask in that forum/download site before grabbing.

But how does installing a USA wad on a PAL machine cause it?
I had loads of USA wads on my Australian Wii in the past and never got a banner brick.

Fellipepb07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! something strage is happening with my wii!
I used this totrial and now, everytimei change the disc game while my wii is on.
The wii doesn recognize it!
Before using the ios downgrader everything was fine!
Do you know what is happening?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chr0m said:
kongsnutz said:
chr0m said:
Can someone briefly explain what causes a banner brick?
I've done some searching but still not quite clear.

A banner brick is caused by a badly created WAD Channel.......usually because the banner used in that channel is of the wrong size/specs and so when it installs it screws up some things.

If you are using an Officialy released WAD from VC/Wiiware and it's either in your countrys region (U)(E)(J) or has been patched with freethewads program, you should never have any problems........just don't be silly when looking for wads on the net, read posts about them before installing or ask in that forum/download site before grabbing.

But how does installing a USA wad on a PAL machine cause it?
In the past I had loads of USA wads on my Australian Wii in the past and never got a banner brick.

Normally it doesn't but the game will not load/work

QUOTE(Fellipepb07 @ Mar 27 2009, 07:06 AM)
Hey! something strage is happening with my wii!
I used this totrial and now, everytimei change the disc game while my wii is on.
The wii doesn recognize it!
Before using the ios downgrader everything was fine!
Do you know what is happening?

Hmm i've never seen that before, the update doesn't touch the disc channel loading or the dvd drive at all, thats a hardware issue.

Not much i can suggest as i believe it's not software effecting this.

Fellipepb07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its very strange...
Maybe its because i've the worst modchip: d2ckey
Man first dvdx doesnt work, now this....

edit:

after testing a littlemore, I discovered that the problem only happens if i launch a game and after this, go back to the wii menu through the "house" menu.

If i turn on the wii, and just keep changing the discs, everything is ok!

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it! cIOS36 v8, IOS60 installed, everything works.

However, I encountered several issues. If anyone could help me through this...

Issues 2 and 3 were problems I had before, but I could still use help.

1) When I ran the update through Nintendo, the progress bar actually froze up at around 80%. I let it sit for an hour, and then gave up, and terrified, I turned it off with the power button. It booted up in 4.0, fully functional. Any dangers from not letting the update complete fully?

2) My Shop Channel is still broken. It was like this before, but I never looked into it, and kongsnutz said he thought the 4.0 update would fix it, hence why I bring it up.
When I click on the Wii Shop Channel, I just get a black screen and I have to force reset my Wii. How can I fix this? I want to go redownload some legal VC games I bought.

3) I installed Smash Bros 64 a long time ago, back when WADs were in their infancy. No banner- it's just a black box on the menu screen- and it shows "???" in the memory management pages under Channels. I don't think I still have the original WAD. What is the best way to remove it? Can I simply delete it, or do I have to worry about it leaving junk files behind somewhere? Should I use AnyTitleDeleter to remove it (I've never used it before, so I wouldn't know what to delete :/ )? I'd like to get rid of it in the best way possible and then install a newer WAD with banner.

4) This is a weird one. A Virtual Console game I LEGALLY BOUGHT, Super Metroid, gives me a vague error stating that it "may not have been moved" when I try to move it to the SD card. I simply can't move it over. Any ideas?

5) Sometimes, when I move VC games to the SD card, when I leave the menu, I get a big black screen with an error message that "The system files are corrupted." It freaked me out the first time, but a quick reboot, and everything's working again. I've seen it at least three times so far. What is this?

Zaiga already asked about this one:

Zaiga said:
Okay, I installed Tetris Party and tried to move it to my SD card, and right after it did, I exited out from the system menu and it said "The system files are corrupted." But when I turned off my Wii and turned it back on, it would still work. As if nothing happened..

EDIT:

6) I get ERROR! (ret = -1022) when installing CERTAIN WAD's. So far, only Earthbound and Kirby 64. Oddly, these work fine on my friend's Wii which I also homebrewed (he's on 3.3 ATM).
Thanks for any help!

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Praxis, all these issues are because the update didn finish properly..........

i'll pm you my email and we can chat btter over MSN about how to resolve this.......the good news is i think it's doable.

@Gamegeek....

Nope not yet

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will not install the update for now. I will wait until an app like that gets developed, as (unless I'm wrong) it would eliminate the risk of banner bricking your Wii.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameGeek said:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will not install the update for now. I will wait until an app like that gets developed, as (unless I'm wrong) it would eliminate the risk of banner bricking your Wii.

It won't eliminate it at all.

read the first post and see why

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Sorry just needed to confirm. For Q1=yes means that after updating the trucha exploit is still retained? (Can play games from disc channel which are scrubbed and wiifri'ed)

And Q4 = yes means Wiiware VC games can now be run from the SDHC card completely eliminating the need for installing any part or whatsoever of it from the Wii's system memory?

Sorry for the repeated questions but I needed to ask just in case anything was missed out

Bloodlust said:
I have some questions. My Wii is a chipped wiikey v1 w/1.9g. JPN set with 3.2J before the trucha bug fix was introduced in a second 3.2J update. If I update :

1) Would games that have been wiiscrubbed + wiifri before still be able to run thru the disc channel?
2) My HBC is the version that still is able to install elf/dol, does it need an update before the 4.0 install?
3) Can't remember what ver my wad installer is probably 1.2/1.3, will I need to update beforehand?
4) Now that it supports SDHC and able to run VC games thru it, does it mean the ones installed on the wii itself can be deleted?
5) What are the IMPORTANT CISOs etc needed to be installed prior to the update?

Thanks....

1. = yes

2. = no

3. = yes use 1.3

4. = Yes can delete em

5. = IOS249 (CIOS) and IOS60.......

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chaseincats said:
what are the cons of upgrading besides no starfall/preloader

loss of dvdx
loss of wads if copied to sd

any more?

you don't lose DVDx

and you don't lose wads after transfer if you follow my guide.

@Bloodlust

Yep can eliminate wad from wii after transfer.

trucha is retained if you run IOSdowngrader after you install 4.0 (not CIOS downgrader)

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to steal this thread, but I wanted to be sure that the people that are having issues running the update directly from Nintendo can easily solve their slow download problem by using Waninkoko's "Firmware Updater 4.0". With Waninkoko's method, you're not downloading anything from Nintendo.

See my super-easy tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143482

rolleyes.gif

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK,, Ive done it... updated according to your guide.. Everything seems to work fine.. can copy wads to SD and play them no problem.. all my game work as normal..

I am at 4.0 now an am wondering if i need to run IOS downgrader in order to install more wads?
Its late and I havent even looked at the sd card to see what the wii transfered the wads as...
Maybe we can just paste our wads onto the SD? Im too much of a noob...lol

Anyway THANKS ALOT KONG!!!!!

Why did that guy in your first posts quote use ios downgrader?

SWEEEEEEET!

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlindDude said:
OK,, Ive done it... updated according to your guide.. Everything seems to work fine.. can copy wads to SD and play them no problem.. all my game work as normal..

I am at 4.0 now an am wondering if i need to run IOS downgrader in order to install more wads?
Its late and I havent even looked at the sd card to see what the wii transfered the wads as...
Maybe we can just paste our wads onto the SD? Im too much of a noob...lol

Anyway THANKS ALOT KONG!!!!!

Why did that guy in your first posts quote use ios downgrader?

SWEEEEEEET!

Hey great news

Dude in first post used downgrader because that was V1 of the guide, no you don't need to run the downgrader

The wads are saves as the content.bin and no these have to be installed the way we are already or by using a new installer to sd directly.......one day

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kongsnutz said:
chaseincats said:
what are the cons of upgrading besides no starfall/preloader

loss of dvdx
loss of wads if copied to sd

any more?

you don't lose DVDx

and you don't lose wads after transfer if you follow my guide.

@Bloodlust

Yep can eliminate wad from wii after transfer.

trucha is retained if you run IOSdowngrader after you install 4.0 (not CIOS downgrader)

alright then so what are the downsides besides loss of starfall/preloader and those sorts of things

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
I'm not trying to steal this thread, but I wanted to be sure that the people that are having issues running the update directly from Nintendo can easily solve their slow download problem by using Waninkoko's "Firmware Updater 4.0". With Waninkoko's method, you're not downloading anything from Nintendo.

See my super-easy tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143482

rolleyes.gif

Firmware Updater 4.0 IS downloading stuff from Nintendo servers... and CiOS installer as well (it download ios36, apply patches and install it as ios249)
how do you think you get System Menu 4.0 and required IOS ? Do you think Waninkoko created them by itself lol ?

Firmware Updater use the exact same method as those Shop/IOS installer except that it downloads System Menu/IOS60 then patches IOS60 back

This one lets you download & patch IOS60 only and let you use the traditional Wii update service to get the remaining stuff... the result is exactly the same unless there i something I miss (blame Waninkoko for his uninformative readme and for not releasing sourcecode so we don't know what this is really doing)

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW,, thanks again...

I cant believe how simple this was... I was SOOOO worried about it but just making sure I had ciosthing v7 or v8, then running the installer,, and then updating,, it all took about 10 minutes.

Major PROPS!!!

And that dude shouldn't be posting his thread in here... Its not like we cant see it on the hacking page.... Jeez. Just another thread to get congested with confusion,, IMO...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i did that in the morning but with vinegar
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hey guys.
    +2
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    anyone here know how to use METEO?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It's very simple.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo is like an AVI-to-GBA converter. Just drag-and-drop your AVI file in, and then convert.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, like those gba carts that have movies and tv episodes in them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But Nintendo's GBA video format is different, being that it uses a custom ROM and chipset for rendering, for like the Shrek and Shark Tale titles. Been undumpable for years and years.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo uses it's own player.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, those roms are dumped currently, right?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although it's kinda pointless to download them anyway since you get the movies in horrible quality
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yep, they are now, but it took a shit ton of RE'ing.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RE = reverse engineering
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, can you remind me what reverse engineering meant pls?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Reverse engineering, to put it simply, is to understand how the software or hardware was made.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol someone tried using my email to log into Nintendo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, is that through trial and error sometimes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, did you enter any sus site?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. He "Entered the Dragon" looking for Bruce
    +1
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    sorry i was away for a while
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    I know how to use meteo
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    but its not working
    Brohann @ Brohann: but its not working