Hacking My Rant On Gateway

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A9LH guide has gotten to near one click. Once you are on 9.2 for a new 3ds you can just boot safearm9installer then it will install.
The old 3ds still need the downgrade to 2.1 though.

That's what I mean. ONCE you are on 9.2.
I am on 4.5 (thet does mean o3ds) so I need to downgrade, do some otp stuff, upgrade, inject, copy, delete and so on..... hardly 1-click. The PSP is 1-click, the wii with Modmii is nearly 1-click

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

gateway is not a plug and play flashcard. You need a entry point for it, the same as any other cfw. Sky3DS is kind of plug and play.. you just need to use their tool and then you can play your 'backups' on the latest firmware version!
I'd also like to point out Gateway's 4.5 downgrader caused a incomplete downgrade which gave me errors during my install of arm9loaderhax (injecting FBI into H&S)
also their time machine according to other people is just sysUpdater with their logo on it.

Copying a 3ds game to a sd-card and tapping your screen for 3 times (for profile 'mset') is bloody 'near' plug-and-play.

I love to mod my devices (nearly all of them are) but I see no advantage of CFW on 3DS when doing all I want with the Gateway.
Gateway which is -against all odds- still releasing fixes when Ninty upgrades their FW again. For a flashcard company very rare as I have a bunch of ds flashcards eating dust as the (Chinese) company just vanished/dropped support.

DaBlackDeath

.::[ lone wolf ]::.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like my Gateway Card, even I paid 45€ for it. I've also had a SKY3DS Card - no 3 !!! of them, Sky3DS red button then blue button then orange button. What a waste of money for Sky3DS.
The Gateway Card is good for testing some games or even modded games. Its faster to copy a .3DS to SD Card than install a cia. Cheatmenu is also nice and can be used on O3DS with games like SSB or MH where NTR CFW cannot be used due to less memory of O3DS.
So yes, Gateway and ALL those other cardes like Sky3DS or whatever are way overpriced but very useful for some of us. But this debate was - is - and will be. It's the same with the A9LH vs MenuHax. Some users are happy with the system they have. If they want to stay at MenuHax - why forcing them to upgrade to A9LH ? If I like my Gateway - why trying to tell me everytime it's a bad card ?
Why ? Let the users decide what they want to use or not.

omg, so much text and supposedly many mistakes of spelling and grammar because of my bad english

Reactions: RyDog

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Copying a 3ds game to a sd-card and tapping your screen for 3 times (for profile 'mset') is bloody 'near' plug-and-play.

Luma supports the MSET exploit.
Using Freeshop is even easier than using .3ds files.
When it comes down to ease and simplicity of use, Gateway and free alternatives are pretty much on par. Gateway inches out ahead if you play a lot of romhacks or translations but on the whole there isn't as much difference as you make it seem.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The situation is pretty simple. If you already have a Gateway, you probably want to keep using your .3ds files that you already have, and probably want to keep using the SD card in the Gateway. I have a 32GB card in my Gateway and 64GB in my console itself - I want to be able to use both.

If you've never had a Gateway, there's obviously no reason to get one anymore, and you don't have any .3ds files anyway.

Here's the thing - it's not an either-or choice. I use BOTH Luma and Gateway. Win-win.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I never said I hated them. I just think there are free and/or better alternatives.

This is true, however your totally missing the point and don't seem to understand why people purchased a Gateway in the past. I can't imagine many people are going out and mass buying Gateway flashcards now.

Pasta CFW was released on May 17, 2015 - Now tell me, what options did people really have before then? G.....y

That's your answer.

You have been spoiled, the 3DS scene now has multiple free hacks, CFW's and tools to choose from. This has only really been a thing for the last year and a half, Gateway is over 3 years old.

Many people had invested in a Gateway before free alternatives were available, if someone still wants to use a Gateway then fair play, it's still supported.

If you we're hacking a 3DS today it's not the route most would take.

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The situation is pretty simple. If you already have a Gateway, you probably want to keep using your .3ds files that you already have, and probably want to keep using the SD card in the Gateway. I have a 32GB card in my Gateway and 64GB in my console itself - I want to be able to use both.

If you've never had a Gateway, there's obviously no reason to get one anymore, and you don't have any .3ds files anyway.

Here's the thing - it's not an either-or choice. I use BOTH Luma and Gateway. Win-win.
OMFG finally someone gets it!
more people need to think like this

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually was thinking about buying a Gateway when 10.7 was the latest firmware. I thought it was going to work. I didn't know about CFW and all that, yet. I'm so glad I bought a Sky3DS instead.

Sent from my Iphone 7 Plus with 256 GB (Jet Black).

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT: Butthurt gateway owners. One single point helped me decide. Gateway needs private headers to go online, correct? Otherwise you take a very high risk of a ban. CIAs do not need a header. What's the point of having a piracy tool (with todays free hax available) if you have to PAY for the games to go online? Gateway was once great, but is now severely obsoleted by CFW for everything but cheats.

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
ITT: Butthurt gateway owners. One single point helped me decide. Gateway needs private headers to go online, correct? Otherwise you take a very high risk of a ban. CIAs do not need a header. What's the point of having a piracy tool (with todays free hax available) if you have to PAY for the games to go online? Gateway was once great, but is now severely obsoleted by CFW for everything but cheats.

what do you mean with PAY? Privae Headers? No, you can dump then yourself and inject into the .3ds.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
"Palantine" CFW was available by the end of 2015 if memory serves.
Though that was a shoddy and incomplete work, and a Gateway was still far and away the superior option.

IIRC at the beginning of 2015 you had Palantine, PBT and TRICK. I used this on my 3ds when you had to stay below 7.xx emunands due to cfw not supporting the keyXslot. The only one that did was RXTools and back then it was mantained by roxas75, closed source and you could only use legit cias, because he would not lift the signature patches until they RE'd his job.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? Butthurt how? Most of them bought it when Gateway was the only actual solution to playing backups.

The only thing I see is Gateway Owners who are slightly annoyed someone is ranting on the product when said person hasn't even owned one, or knows the history of the scene.

No one is pushing Gateway3DS here, because their is hardly any good reason to own one, when free CFW solutions exist, and for cheats, while NTR may not be great, it works to an extent.

Edit: So I mean, what's the point of this thread anyways? I mean to stop people from buying Gateway3DS? I mean, I already feel the community here already does a good job of telling people not to bother with one, with the free alternatives of today.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You mean your own games that you PAYED for?
big wow you can get a £2 game, if you cant afford that you have more important problems than your 3ds being banned

but again nobody is even arguing the toss about gw being the best,they are just saying they have it so they will still use it, and it still has a few handy features....other than that go completely 100% free cfw, it doesnt make much difference either way, its not like GW users cant hitch a ride on the luma train whenever they want anyway

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
what do you mean with PAY? Privae Headers? No, you can dump then yourself and inject into the .3ds.

He probably means that as he has no retail 3ds games, he can't dump them. Thus if he wants to play online, he has to pay to someone for a private header dump only he can use.

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
You mean your own games that you PAYED for?
On the one side yes..on the other side:
If you have a least one orginal game (and you should..really there is no point to have not least one orig game...).
Yo can dump the private header and use it on al other games.
The risk of a bann is higher, but who cares. like the above said.. there more importtant problems than that.

He probably means that as he has no retail 3ds games, he can't dump them. Thus if he wants to play online, he has to pay to someone for a private header dump only he can use.
maybe..

Last edited by nedron92,

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? Butthurt how? Most of them bought it when Gateway was the only actual solution to playing backups.

The only thing I see is Gateway Owners who are slightly annoyed someone is ranting on the product when said person hasn't even owned one, or knows the history of the scene.

No one is pushing Gateway3DS here, because their is hardly any good reason to own one, when free CFW solutions exist, and for cheats, while NTR may not be great, it works to an extent.

Edit: So I mean, what's the point of this thread anyways? I mean to stop people from buying Gateway3DS? I mean, I already feel the community here already does a good job of telling people not to bother with one, with the free alternatives of today.
Butthurt that someone has a negative (albeit misguided) opinion of gateway. Just because he doesnt own it doesnt make him any less entitled to an opinion.

big wow you can get a £2 game, if you cant afford that you have more important problems than your 3ds being banned

but again nobody is even arguing the toss about gw being the best,they are just saying they have it so they will still use it, and it still has a few handy features....other than that go completely 100% free cfw, it doesnt make much difference either way, its not like GW users cant hitch a ride on the luma train whenever they want anyway
What 3ds games are that cheap? Sorry, but I don't count bargain bin games that no one cares about.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Butthurt that someone has a negative (albeit misguided) opinion of gateway. Just because he doesnt own it doesnt make him any less entitled to an opinion.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What 3ds games are that cheap? Sorry, but I don't count bargain bin games that no one cares about.
you say you want a private header....well the game doesnt matter does it? there are a few pointlessly crap dirtch cheap bargain bin games perfect for getting a private header from

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you say you want a private header....well the game doesnt matter does it? there are a few pointlessly crap dirtch cheap bargain bin games perfect for getting a private header from
I actually didn't realise you could use a single private header for more games. Thanks for the info! That aside, as previously stated, the risk of ban is higher. Not good in my book.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch