my dsi has parental controls put on by the previous owner, what do i do?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have parents like that, what would they think if they see you are on an obscure hacking forum? They can probably access your history, so beware.
Don't get me started on that topic…
========

Unrelated to the parental lock here: I have some question about Chromebooks since these devices got mentioned here. I've read they are pretty popular in the USA, especially as school computers. They don't seem to be widespread here. A few are available, but I've never looked into this (and have no plans to do great research – if anybody can provide an overview in few sentences I would be very grateful)

How limited or not limited are they? Can the end user run arbitrary code by default? Even Android phones allow "side loading apps" after a ton of nonsense warnings. Missing root access by default, locked bootloaders and the like are a big bummer, but in the end many tasks "a real" computer can do can be done with a phone as well – in theory at least… major hassle in practice.
@Nikokaro will certainly triumph (and maybe give a "🤣") over reading this painful acknowledgement from me… but can't deny the truth.

How about a Chromebook? Can you load arbitrary software? A full development environment? Python3 interpreter in a terminal?
How about connecting any piece of hardware (HDD, printer, optical drive, converter for USB→old interfaces, additional networking cards… whatever)?

I'm asking all that questions for future help requests. If anybody asks for help and says they are using a Chromebook I want to know what to expect and not not make a fool of myself by just saying: "Do this: […]" and it is fundamentally impossible.

sno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a used dsi xl at orbit dvd. it wasn't formatted, and there were parental controls left by the previous owner. here's what they blocked: ds download play, picochat, sending pictures to a friend's dsi, sending pictures via flipnote studio, and formatting the system memory. and the secret question was: "what is your mother's maiden name?" i can tell that they gave it to a younger kid. but i just want the parental controls off my dsi.
Too late to return it? Normally units anywhere, unless stated, are supposed to have any sort of locks or restrictions removed.. Unless you intentionally bought it in this condition knowingly. That's all the advice I can give you, not a expert on anything else.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have parents like that, what would they think if they see you are on an obscure hacking forum?
In my opinion, there would be no problem. In fact, they would be happy to find new gimmicks to save money on video games. What they are rightly concerned about are certain violent or immoral messages and especially....... ............................... the early and deviant awakening of sexuality. 🤒

WiFiStackSmash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chromebooks are generally fucking horrible.

Minimum spec netbook with a shitty LCD panel with a cheap plastic shell, running an OS designed for web browsing and not much else. Some of them can run Android apps using a virtualization layer, but they include so little storage that this isn't practical, and Google Play Store allows almost nothing to be installed on them anyway.
========

Unrelated to the parental lock here: I have some question about Chromebooks since these devices got mentioned here. I've read they are pretty popular in the USA, especially as school computers. They don't seem to be widespread here. A few are available, but I've never looked into this (and have no plans to do great research – if anybody can provide an overview in few sentences I would be very grateful)

How limited or not limited are they? Can the end user run arbitrary code by default? Even Android phones allow "side loading apps" after a ton of nonsense warnings. Missing root access by default, locked bootloaders and the like are a big bummer, but in the end many tasks "a real" computer can do can be done with a phone as well – in theory at least… major hassle in practice.
@Nikokaro will certainly triumph (and maybe give a "🤣") over reading this painful acknowledgement from me… but can't deny the truth.

How about a Chromebook? Can you load arbitrary software? A full development environment? Python3 interpreter in a terminal?
How about connecting any piece of hardware (HDD, printer, optical drive, converter for USB→old interfaces, additional networking cards… whatever)?

I'm asking all that questions for future help requests. If anybody asks for help and says they are using a Chromebook I want to know what to expect and not not make a fool of myself by just saying: "Do this: […]" and it is fundamentally impossible.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
========

I have heard that Chromebooks run on a heavily modified version of Gentoo Linux, so I guess all the hardware support you'd expect from Linux would exist there. I think a terminal can be accessed after turning on developer mode, so maybe python would be possible? I myself have never used a Chromebook before, this is just from what I have heard.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just ask the seller for their pin, it's a lot easier than all this crap. If it's not a stolen unit, then they'll gladly give it to you.
Really? Contacting the seller. Wait a day or two. Hope for reply… which is more often than not a (truthful): "I don't remember."
Master key generation literally takes less than a minute: Open settings, tap on "forgot" a few times, enter inquiry number (+date sometimes) in mkey site or local application → :)

I would be far too lazy to start any discussion with every seller who didn't remove that rubbish.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would be far too lazy to start any discussion with every seller who didn't remove that rubbish.
Yeah, that's really the first step I'd take. It's logical to me. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that goes online without seeing it can indeed go online and play something first. Too risky of getting something that's been banned or whatever.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, that's really the first step I'd take. It's logical to me. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that goes online without seeing it can indeed go online and play something first. Too risky of getting something that's been banned or whatever.
With the mkey program you can do your check in a minute. By contacting the seller you can do it after you get a helpful(!) reply.

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ask the seller for their pin, it's a lot easier than all this crap. If it's not a stolen unit, then they'll gladly give it to you.

but i have no contact with them, because they sold it at orbit dvd. i did not directly buy it from them. and i can't go back to orbit dvd because it is in asheville, nc!
Post automatically merged:

This - bought a new 3ds xl a year ago with the same issue - fixed it using this.

i can't access it :(
Screenshot 2023-12-15 8.47.36 AM.png

Last edited by yogirlalyssa,
  • Haha
Reactions: Plazorn

sno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but i have no contact with them, because they sold it at orbit dvd. i did not directly buy it from them. and i can't go back to orbit dvd because it is in asheville, nc!

i can't access it :(View attachment 408870
For the sake of your valuable time, sell it online in its current condition (mention it in description) and bite the loss. I think that's ideal. And when I say sell it, have an adult sell it, make sure you get it posted for the right price like similar devices with the lock on. Don't waste another minute with this.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the sake of your valuable time, sell it online in its current condition (mention it in description) and bite the loss. I think that's ideal. And when I say sell it, have an adult sell it, make sure you get it posted for the right price like similar devices with the lock on. Don't waste another minute with this.
What on Earth??
It takes a single minute and this minute is not wasted. If @yogirlalyssa posted the inquiry number (or is there a privacy issue?) it would be easy to run the script elsewhere and reply the generated master key. (Not sure if the date set on the DSi is important)
No need to sell a device under it's real value. DS consoles are pretty stable in price given a good physical condition.

WiFiStackSmash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What... huh? Why the hell should they try and sell the thing instead of just using the mkey generator themselves?

Sheamine69

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Dear, sweet Alyssa, you are apparently only 13 years old, so parental blocking is also highly appropriate in your case: at least you won't be tempted to peek at hentai images online... :teach:
Hahaha... Just kidding. :rofl2: Despite the block you will be able to play roms and homebrews safely from SD cards or via cartridges or flashcart. If I am wrong, surely someone will pull my ear or kick me out. :unsure:
why are you talking about hentai images to a 13 year old

Dear, sweet Alyssa, you are apparently only 13 years old, so parental blocking is also highly appropriate in your case: at least you won't be tempted to peek at hentai images online... :teach:
Hahaha... Just kidding. :rofl2: Despite the block you will be able to play roms and homebrews safely from SD cards or via cartridges or flashcart. If I am wrong, surely someone will pull my ear or kick me out. :unsure:
why are you talking about hentai images to a 13 year old

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah they gotta reproduce somehow