Gaming My DS Lite will not charge or turn on, how to fix?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATemp!

Ok, simple as: My DS Lite doesn't charge or turn on at ALL.
I try to turn it on but i doesnt turn on.
I try to charge and the Orange LED charging light comes on but for like a second then turns off.

More Detailed Details:
I was playing Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story on my Acekard 2i. I left it in sleep mode and left it charging.
Without remembering that i left it playing Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story I ejected my AK2i to add some stuff to the MicroSD card.
When i put my AK2i back in my ds was turned off. I then turned it on and the bottom screen flashed white then turned off.
I did this thousands of times. I took out the battery and nothing. I then noticed a piece of paper in the Slot 1. I stuck a screwdriver (i know) and got it out.
But when I powered my ds on it wouldnt turn on.

So my question is:
How can I fix my DS Lite or is it helpless?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i researched and everywhere it says its a fuse problem but idk how to fix it. any ideas?
also my ds lite top screen sometimes flashed white and i would move the screen iand i would get the picture back
it was annoying to deal with but what to expect from a 4 yr old ds lite?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK....................................................... Still dont know how to fix it. Whats solder and whats a soldering iron?

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
OK....................................................... Still dont know how to fix it. Whats solder and whats a soldering iron?
If you're planning on attempting to repair the issue yourself it would be wise to do some thorough research before attempting anything. Or you could send off your Nintendo DS Lite to Nintendo for the repairs to be done by professionals.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I advice you to not attempt and fix this if you haven't used an soldering iron before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you.
What you will need for this is some patience.

The problem with going in there and try to repair the fuses is that they are placed in tight spots with other components surrounding them. If you are equipped with a soldering iron that's too hot or to big or both, then there is risk of making things worse.

It is an easy fix for a person with the know how and the right tools.

So if you got some old defective electronics like a vcr, old computer, anything with smd components that you can practice on, would be great for you.

Like the others wrote, make some research, watch many youtube videos about soldering and if you decide to buy an sodering iron then ask the store clerks for some help in choosing the right iron.

Good luck!

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't know about XPro, but the reason i fix my own things is not about being stubborn and wanting to save me some money, it's more about learning about the products i buy and being able to service them myself.
The feeling of repairing your own things is really satisfying.

Well i have to be honest, in the beginning when i just owned a simple non regulable soldering iron and my skills was equal to 0, I didn't always end up fixing things it was the contrary.
You just got to prepare yourself that sometimes you're going to screw things up even more, but if you put your mind and time into it, you'll see it'll be fine :)

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem as you. My Nintendo DS lite had a fuse and I didn't know anything about soldering until I researched it. Since I didn't know any other places that would sell soldering guns, I went to Radioshack and bought a 30watt 120V soldering gun bundled with some materials for cheap (I heard 15watt should be enough for repairing the fuse, but I couldn't find any lower than 30watts). After looking at videos of how to fix the fuse, I just bridged the tiny little thing with the melting silver carefully and made sure I didn't let the tip touch or get too close to the component too long (since 30watts was 2x hotter). I ended up fixing it, but I'd advise to replace the fuse rather than bridge it because if you just bridge it and something like what happened to your DS happens again, your fuse wouldn't be the one that's blown. It'll be all the other components, and that would just make you work harder to fixing every other component...and you wouldn't want that :\ Unless you find it really annoying to buy a fuse and replace it (like me), just bridge it and make sure you don't do something like that again.

Also, you mentioned that your top screen was having trouble with displaying correctly. That would mean that the ribbon cable on that screen that connects to the bottom of the DS is starting to wear off (kind of like ripping apart little by little due to amount of opening and closing the lid). BEFORE your DS even stopped turning on and charging entirely, you mentioned that your DS flashed a white screen on the bottom when you tried turning it on. This means that your top screen has finally called it quits. The Nintendo DS does NOT turn on without the top screen being connected and working. Even if you fix the fuse, that will only be the 1st problem you fixed. The 2nd would be to replace the top screen, and GOSH that step is even harder than just bridging the fuse. You can search videos on it, and I REALLY advise you to watch carefully how the top screen is replaced, else you'll rip apart your new top screen by accident (like I did) while replacing and become really frustrated.

The alternative would be to buy a cheap DS on eBay instead. Other than that, good luck fixing.

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I mean as long as the fuse fgets fixed I'm good. dealing with the top screen problem was very annoying but I could deal with it.
I'll probably just buy another DS Lite off Amazon (I don't trust eBay). And then later if I fell like it I'll risk bridging the fuses.
And thanks! If anyone still has any other ideas please post.

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go to one of my local stores but seeing as my town is extremely small I dont see that happening.
Anyone know if Walmart offers DS repairs? :)

nickwild6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this looks like a darn good deal for you...someone else here told me about these people and recomends them 100% and for about $6 extra they will even give you a new case if yours is beat up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-DS...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a71797eaf

I totally recommend their service if you need an internal repair. I sent my DS Lite in to them when the Slot 1 stopped recognizing cartridges.
And they sell refurbs for $69.99 with free ship within the US also. I've used both their repair service and bought two refurbs from them, I love the crystal clear one. I understand if you don't trust eBay but this particular seller has a great record. I would trust them over a random cheapo from Amazon.

p.s. The refurbs use brand new cases and screens, not sure they always come with new batteries but the last couple I got did have official Nintendo batteries. They just didn't last as long as a brand new one from Nintendo's official repair shop website. I'd say about 10-11 hours when a brand new battery is about 14.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo