Moonlight Wii U

Moonlight Wii U is a port of Moonlight Embedded, which is an open source client for Sunshine and NVIDIA GameStream. Moonlight allows you to stream your full collection of games and applications from your PC to other devices to play them remotely.

It's using the hardware-accelerated h264 library of the Wii U which results in pretty fast decoding.
Using my LAN Adapter 720p@60fps runs almost flawlessly.

Here's a little demo (and april fools) video:

Quick Start

ℹ️ A Wii U LAN Adapter is recommended!
  • Grab the latest version from the releases page and extract it to the root of your SD Card.
  • Enter the IP of your Sunshine/GFE server in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
  • Ensure your Sunshine/GFE server and Wii U are on the same network.
  • If using GFE, turn on Shield Streaming in the GFE settings.
  • Pair Moonlight Wii U with the server.
  • Accept the pairing confirmation on your PC.
  • Connect to the server with Moonlight Wii U.
  • Play games!
Configuration
You can configure all of the documented settings in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
Note that a lot of option are commented out by default, to edit them you need to remove the # in front of them.

Supported controllers
  • Gamepad (can be disabled with the disable_gamepad option).
  • Up to 4 Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii Classic Controllers (Pro).
    The Gamepad needs to be disabled to use the 4th controller.

Troubleshooting

Input doesn't work when using Sunshine

Verify that you've installed Nefarius Virtual Gamepad and restarted your PC after the installation.

The stream disconnects frequently/immediately

Depending on your network connection you need to adjust the configuration to find a stable bitrate and resolution.Try something like this to get started:
Code:
width = 854
height = 480
fps = 30
Code:
bitrate = 1500
Then slowly increase the bitrate until the stream is no longer stable.

Can't find app Steam

Moonlight Wii U tries to start the app "Steam" by default, but sunshine does not have a default Application called "Steam".
You can either rename the app in the moonlight.conf to
Code:
app = Steam Big Picture
which is a default option in sunshine or add a new application called "Steam" in the sunshine configuration.

Releases: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu/releases
Source code: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu

Special thanks to agilly1989, rw and QuarkTheAwesome.

Last edited by GaryOderNichts,

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WTF you going on about? I've been a PC tech probably longer than you've been alive.
I got my PC IP from me typing it in as I have it set manually for the last 15 years.
I use AdGuard which is an app for Windows, Android, IOS, and Chrome addon. Its an ad blocker, firewall, etc. I've disabled it as it also blocks ports and crap like that. I'll enable it as soon as I can pair/sync the WiiU to the PC.
:rofl: OMG, I wasn't intend to offend you :rofl2::rofl2: , I just would like to help you.....in this case did you unlock your Windows the related online functions and check them in Turn Windows future On and Off?

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
:rofl: OMG, I wasn't intend to offend you :rofl2::rofl2: , I just would like to help you.....in this case did you unlock your Windows the related online functions and check them in Turn Windows future On and Off?
Stop. I guess your a kid and guessing. You obviously dont have any idea what your talking about.
Years ago I went through all this with the nvidia support and they were about as good as you. no idea what they are going on about.
They also said the obvious. Start, stop, reboot, reinstall, blah blah blah. All the typical things you do BEFORE asking for help.
I've been trying for about 5 hours before I commented.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stop. I guess your a kid and guessing. You obviously dont have any idea what your talking about.
Years ago I went through all this with the nvidia support and they were about as good as you. no idea what they are going on about.
They also said the obvious. Start, stop, reboot, reinstall, blah blah blah. All the typical things you do BEFORE asking for help.
I've been trying for about 5 hours before I commented.
@NakedFaerie really I would like to help you, I have done my personal Server inside the house and to settle the personal line sometimes could be an hell....I know what I'm talking about. Otherwise how can I let it work; sometimes it doesn't matter how long and nice you could be nice with the PC, the PC and informatics are always to learn never will be done, it's also for me . No body it has the true on them hands. Ok, in this case I stop my self .

Last edited by CrisMod,

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe try using sunshine or open-stream if GFE doesn't work.
Also no need to start an argument here.
Sunshine gives an error "Error: Failed to create D3D11 device [0x80070057]"
Open-stream, thats screen sharing not for moonlight game streaming I think.

[2021:04:10:21:50:16]: Error: Failed to create D3D11 device [0x80070057]
[2021:04:10:21:50:17]: Error: Failed to create D3D11 device [0x80070057]
[2021:04:10:21:50:17]: Fatal: Couldn't find any encoder

Last edited by NakedFaerie,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
@NakedFaerie if you think they not helping just igrone them.

but @CrisMod is a person who understands more than 99.9% of people how the Wii U works. if you dont want help from him, you will most likley look in the void in the Wii U Scene.

Reactions: CrisMod

KyleTheUltimate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to invert A and B as well as X and Y within Moonlight for Wii U? I keep trying to change the controls in Steam's Big Picture mode, but games keep reading the Gamepad as an Xbox controller but with a Nintendo layout, as in, Xbox's B is Nintendo's B when it should be A. So games don't control properly.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
@NakedFaerie if you think they not helping just igrone them.

but @CrisMod is a person who understands more than 99.9% of people how the Wii U works. if you dont want help from him, you will most likley look in the void in the Wii U Scene.
If you read my problem you will see its NOT a WiiU problem its a PC problem so irrelevant.
I got moonlight on iPad, Android Phone, WiiU, Vita and ALL cant pair. The pairing dialog box never pops up so its not platform related, its PC GFE related.

Last edited by NakedFaerie,

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
OMG !!!
A while ago I created a post asking if it would be possible to use any streaming app on Wii U, be it Playstation Remote Play, Playstation Now, Steam Link, Geforce Now, xCloud, anything, but I was told that Wii U was slow too much for something like that.

I can't believe this happened, I can't believe this is really possible, the modders here are just amazing.

I can't wait to test this out.
Basically yeah, Gary has said he's open to the idea of a Playstation Remote Play port but hasn't got a PS4 :P

In all honesty I'd probably get more use out of a Remote Play port.
I would love to see the PS Remote Play on the Wii U, yeah... I have a Smartphone (but to be honest, I almost never use it for remote play, I use it more on my PC to be able to play in the bedroom since the PS4 is on the TV in the living room), but being able to play PS4 or PS5 games on the Wii U GamePad seems insane, especially if I can keep up a good speed.

Last edited by Moon164,

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Basically yeah, Gary has said he's open to the idea of a Playstation Remote Play port but hasn't got a PS4 :P

In all honesty I'd probably get more use out of a Remote Play port.
I would love to see the PS Remote Play on the Wii U, yeah... I have a Smartphone (but to be honest, I almost never use it for remote play, I use it more on my PC to be able to play in the bedroom since the PS4 is on the TV in the living room), but being able to play PS4 or PS5 games on the Wii U GamePad seems insane, especially if I can keep up a good speed.

Reactions: CrisMod and ploggy

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this with touch-support? It's something that was anticipated for so many years
OMG !!!
A while ago I created a post asking if it would be possible to use any streaming app on Wii U, be it Playstation Remote Play, Playstation Now, Steam Link, Geforce Now, xCloud, something, but I was told that Wii U was slow too much for something like that.

I can't believe this happened, I can't believe this is really possible, the modders here are just amazing.

I can't wait to test this out.

I was looking for that thread because I knew you would immediately be excited for it https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiutablet-use-the-gamepad-as-pc-drawing-tablet.388012/page-2 like I said before it's a hell of a long time coming

Reactions: Moon164

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Moon164 mate I think not loong time ago we were talking about to Stream on Wii U that was a pain, for the lack of the hardware tecnology...
Especially me that I'm a person obsessed about the INPUT LAG, for me half second and more of input lag it's really unplayable, especially if you play with fighters games or online games......

I told approximately this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One period my cousin ask the same thing, and I tried to go more deep about, and after a lot of sourcing I arrived to these conclusions
To have this implementation for Wii U the developer need to implement this futures for the console and optimise it, as much as he can to work perfectly. So, from my testing, the developer will face these problems (with all the implementation of final user, to minimize the bottlenecks and use at least the Cat 7 Ethernet Quality):
  • The streaming from the PS4 to Wii U it will work in this way: PS4 --- > Ethernet High Quality Router --- > Base Wii U Console --- > 5GHZ N (Class) Wifi Wii U PAD
  • The streaming from PS4 to Android Phone: PS4 --- > Ethernet High Quality Router --- > WiFi AC 5GHZ Discrete Android Phone
  • The streaming from PS4 to PSVita: PS4 --- > 2.4 GHz WIFI Direct to PSVita (it needs the Router, but It will use it at the beginning, just for the settings because the PSVita it's WiFi N 2.4 GHz biderectional antenna and can connect in WiFi Direct to the console). The 2.4 GHz Wifi and the N, it's not the best for streaming in real time because the 5 GHz it's fastest but shortes as range, but here we have the WiFi Direct that helps it.
So as you can noticed, the Wii U will have more hardwares in between to stream the video image, and what happens, you should know the Input Lag right?! So, the input lag exist from the Console to the TV example (imperceptible) the Projector or some old IPS Monitor (even if less percettable in front of Projector side) suffer so much about Input Lag; the Input Lag it's the moment when you press one button and react to the imagine. So, if you need to play example with Final Fantasy or some other game like The Last of US, that almost of the time it's not requires so fast rections from the situations displaied on the screen; more and less you are fine. But the problems comes if you need to play with some fast FPS game or fighter like Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat 11. So, when you connect the PS4 (Pro has better specs under WIFi as well) to the Android phone and a nice high costing router ander AC Wifi you will have close or over of 1 second the input lag, I tested in front of my professionl Monitor to stream the same image to my Android Phone Huawei Mate Pro 20. And even from Menu you can experienced of this annoyng input lag.
Now, to have the best resaults, I have isolated the Router and created the special Door where my Phone the Router and PS4 can catch the maximum performance as they can; so the resaults are still not really sutisfied about. Yes, at the beginning you can say it's cool, but when you play more it's a bit pain this in-put lag. Because, what the hardware are processing it's not in real time of what the streaming it's showing.

So, PSVita with the worst hardware specs can processing better in front of the other better specs hardwares because it's Wifi Direct to the Console (similar to Wii U console and Wii U PAD); but the Wii U under this point it's better because it has better specs WIFI communication with the base, and it doesn’t need to processing the packaging that the base console will send to the PAD (because the Wii U PAD it's totally SLAVE hardware that display what the console processing). PSVita can take advantage from WiFi Direct, but it's not really perfect, because it's still needs to processing the packages sent from the console. And another minus of this situation is, for absurd the games displayed. Which means the Playstation games are set to be displayed to the big screen, with space and certain of numbers of pixel, translated have means that the games in PSVIta or in Wii U, the DPI of the screen, to consult the Menu or words in the games will be soooooo small and not readable because an imagine from 1080p or big inch TV it's displayed and shrink into to 5 to 6 inch monitor. So the optimizations to watch the games in such small monitors you will fill dizzy (I can tell you because we already tested. The games of Wii U are already settled to be displayed into the small screen and the Wii or Game Cube can be displayed well because they are small resolution that it's needs to be fit into an Higher resolution 480P screen or the PAD. So, will not be a Higher resolution shrink into a less resolution and smaller display (as PS4/PSVita it makes).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me to see the GeForce Experience that can send all the data infos to the Wii U in real time, it's really impressed job I'm really excited about this and what Gary port, and I believe Nvidia makes really great job to make such processing of data streaming in Real Time (by network with the router in between), where Moonlight can replicate with such perform on Wii U .
This will open a lot of scenario, because your PAD can control the PC and play with a lot of Arcade porting....and it's really amazing this.
These past month I was looking somenting to connect the PAD directly to the PC, but as I found in other projects it's really difficult to implement such thing to break the 5Ghz Wifi from the PAD.
So, if can be implemented the stremaing in Real Time (and not like the PS4 solution to Android Phones because of the input lag) like PS4/5 to PSVita as Nvidia makes with Geforce Experience to Nvidia Shield (or the open project Moonlight), this will be the APOTHEOSIS of modding for Wii U!!!!

Last edited by CrisMod,
Reactions: yuyuyup

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Impressive.

The Wii U really could've been the best console ever had it stuck around for a second revision ala DS>DSL as the idea and concept were great but let down by bad marketing.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just used it to do the dumbest thing imaginable: Playing Wii U games on my PC and streaming that to play them on my Wii U

Edit: Also for the next release can we please have an option to rebind controls and being able to control the mouse (either with the touchscreen or holding the + button and then using the right analog stick + ZR/ZL)

It's a bit tedious having to exit moonlight and then having to use my phone to change between games (not all my games are on steam)

For everything else this app is marvelous, thanks for the port!

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just used it to do the dumbest thing imaginable: Playing Wii U games on my PC and streaming that to play them on my Wii U

https://twitter.com/AxlSt00pid/status/1381276514428321794

Edit: Also for the next release can we please have an option to rebind controls and being able to control the mouse (either with the touchscreen or holding the + button and then using the right analog stick + ZR/ZL)

It's a bit tedious having to exit moonlight and then having to use my phone to change between games (not all my games are on steam)

For everything else this app is marvelous, thanks for the port!
Frankenstein Story :rofl:

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16