Monster Hunter 4 will be released in Spring 2013!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol @ lousy combat. i figure people who say those prefer button-mashers?

If reading is not your forte, my whole point (which I clearly illustrated) is that you can make a game with exciting, in depth, precise combat but still have it be incredible challenging. Two examples I gave were Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma. Both of which are Capcom games.

I'd rather play a game with combat that is challenging because of the monsters you fight, not the controls you fight.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

If reading is not your forte, my whole point (which I clearly illustrated) is that you can make a game with exciting, in depth, precise combat but still have it be incredible challenging. Two examples I gave were Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma. Both of which are Capcom games.

I'd rather play a game with combat that is challenging because of the monsters you fight, not the controls you fight.
The controls are just fine in Tri G from what I've heard and seen.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not the controls, it's the nature of every weapon being slow and unwieldy and it lacking basic things like effective cameras and lock on systems. Even stupid things like having to sit through a long animation whenever you use an item is just having bad mechanics to make a challenging game instead of good mechanics to make a challenging game.

D

Deleted_171835

It's not the controls, it's the nature of every weapon being slow and unwieldy and it lacking basic things like effective cameras and lock on systems. Even stupid things like having to sit through a long animation whenever you use an item is just having bad mechanics to make a challenging game instead of good mechanics to make a challenging game.
Apparently the game controls really well without a second stick (Tri G) with on-screen D-Pad, lock-on and a revised camera.

http://www.destructo...ed-211681.phtml

Tri G has lock-on and a more streamlined camera.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope they make the game less boring than the others.

I tried one of the PSP ones and Tri for Wii, and they just kind of throw you into the game with no instructions and make you do slow-paced quests.
You can actually skip all of those if you go into the Guild hall and just start on the low ranked dragon killing quests.
It's a shame that so many people think you need to do those gathering quests.
They really should make it obvious that you can just get right into the good stuff.
I don't remember if I knew that. I think that's what I was doing wrong.

Also, I should have refrased my post. I like the series, and would definitely buy it on the 3DS. I made it sound like I was hating, but yes. They do need to make it more obvious and give a tutorial or something.

The controls aren't too obvious.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Never found Monster Hunter terribly interesting. I have Freedom Unite and I'll play it now and then but it's still nothing amazing like everyone makes it out to be. The franchise just feels like it relies too much on appealing to kleptomaniacs. Personally I'd just play an open world RPG instead with more to do, more variety, and better story instead.

I failed to see why it suddenly became popular here. Well, I know why, but I'll avoid the shitstorm my revelation will bring.

It is an extremely simplified clone of elder scrolls w/o guilds, a story and magic. Monster Hunter equals kindergarten scrolls... Your thoughts something like that?
Skyrim is Kindergarten Scrolls. Gonna have to get over that one.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster hunter like elder scrolls?
Does "go to a generic town, get a quest with no real storyline, go to generic-looking battlefield and kill monsters." Sound anything like elder scrolls?
Monster hunter never could stand up to the epic adventure offered by elder scrolls.
The only thing that makes monster hunter great is the multiplayer, which is why I want them to bring it out of Japan for 3ds.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If this will be localize, then 3DS sales would definitely skyrocket. :)

I doubt it. The game seems to be popular here(GBATemp), but not sure the rest of the gaming world cares quite so much?

Anyway, I think it will be localised. I guess Capcom believe that they can capitalize on a localized monster hunter game for the 3DS, but perhaps they don't feel there's a big enough market for two monster hunter games. That being the case, I'm guessing they're waiting for the newer one to release outside of Japan.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
As a person who loves MH, I must admit that MH isn't much of a big deal outside Japan.

I really hope this game has region UNLOCKED online combat. It's a main series, after all.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are waiting for English localization better just give up hope and get a JPN 3DS if you really want to play MH...looking at how things are going it will take ages before we see MH being localized...
Regardless of what people will tell you, time is not equal to money. It'll take a long time before I break and spend $300 just for that game.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

oh no, i definitely read those parts. i just laughed that people who can't make their character swing their sword fast enough would call it "lousy". not that i'm singling you out, no. i don't even know if you play the game.

the way i see it, it takes skill to read a monster's pattern, get close enough, dodge, run, whip out that huge folding bowgun, aim, shoot, fold, run, dodge roll, et cetera. if that's lousy combat, well... i guess it's not for everybody. some people like to just jump, slash, slash, slash, bam! arcade controls. simple, effective,

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"Long" animations and unwieldy weapons is the point of Monster Hunter.
See, for me the appeal of Monster Hunter is the realism (I use the term loosely) of the game.

I love the feeling of running long distances searching for my prey, then stalking them and finally attacking. Having to track them down if they run away. It's called Monster Hunter, not Monster Fighter.
The game is slow, yes, and that's why I like it. If I wanted more actiony fighting, I'd play a hack and slash like Devil May Cry.

I also like that the weapons aren't too realistic and the large ones are difficult to use. In real life, if I had a sword the size of my body, I wouldn't be spinning it around my fingers as if it were a butterknife.
It makes every hit count. It also makes you plan how and when you're going to make your next strike right there in the midst of battle, constantly having to adjust your strategy.

Camera seems fine to me. Well except for when you're being smooshed against a wall or something, but that's a problem most games STILL have (it's 2012 game devs, come on!).

I've played Monster Hunter for hundreds of hours and I still get tense fighting difficult monsters and finally a great sense of accomplishment when I finally down it.

I'm not trying to convert you; I'm just explaining why I like it.

Oddly enough, as big of a fan as I am (plan on cosplaying it next year), I hated it the first time I played Freedom 2.
I think it was mainly the camera. Now that I'm used to "the claw" - as well as having played the Wii one using two analog sticks - I'd say the claw is better than two sticks because it allows one to control three things at once rather than two.

Well anyway, that's it!

chemistryfreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
More details regarding MH4:
-The game will not have water segments (water was one of MH3G big features)
-There will be some new elements surrounding Felynes. You'll once again be able to take two Felynes out with you on hunts.
-The game will have new weapons, but these are being kept secret for now. It will also have new armor designs.
-The game's story with the greatest number of NPCs in series history.
-Monsters will make use of the land formations.
-Under certain conditions, you'll be able to grab on to the monsters. (I'm not sure if this means you'll be able to ride the monsters or just latch on to them for attacking.)
-You'll be able to make use of hight differences in the stages to perform jump attacks.
-The game will have a free camera.
-Rather than a fixed base camp like past Monster Hunter games, your base camp will now move -- somewhat like a caravan.

Source: http://andriasang.co...s7/mh4_details/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol