Hacking Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Modding

Chariciard

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So, every single thing about mh3u custom quests is completely dead? I searched for days and every single link related to Zindea is dead and Gogouts's table isn't public, did the community just let this die so easily? What a huge disappointment honestly, it would've been so fun having CQs for 3U

lateus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hi guys. my friends and I just started playing MH3U again on 3DS and they asked me to mod the game to rebalance a few things (like the one available for XX/GU), starting with some weapons. I found the structure of weapon data, but I can't find the related files (only the models and textures, not the Attack, Affinity, Sharpness, etc). I'm using Kuriimo2 to explore the .cia.
Any advice? Thanks in advance!
1669620211747.png

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm a bit late to this scene but Is anyone here still modding this game? Specifically Custom Quests? I've been sad that I couldn't find any kind of quest editor so I've been tinkering around with the DLC quests in a hex editor and I've made a good bit of progress on how to do stuff like changing the locales of the quests, the monsters, the quest rewards, etc. Coolest thing I've managed to do is having 5 Gigginox roam the tundra at once, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put a monster where it shouldn't be, like the Gobul in the Sandy Plains, Diablos at the Volcano, or an Abyssal Lagiacrus in the Flooded Forest like shown in Gogouts's videos, they just don't spawn... Anyone have any knowledge on how this is done? Or maybe a link to Zindea's editor like I've heard about?

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know I'm a bit late to this scene but Is anyone here still modding this game? Specifically Custom Quests? I've been sad that I couldn't find any kind of quest editor so I've been tinkering around with the DLC quests in a hex editor and I've made a good bit of progress on how to do stuff like changing the locales of the quests, the monsters, the quest rewards, etc. Coolest thing I've managed to do is having 5 Gigginox roam the tundra at once, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put a monster where it shouldn't be, like the Gobul in the Sandy Plains, Diablos at the Volcano, or an Abyssal Lagiacrus in the Flooded Forest like shown in Gogouts's videos, they just don't spawn... Anyone have any knowledge on how this is done? Or maybe a link to Zindea's editor like I've heard about?
Please inform me on how you've gone about hex editing the quests.

Truthfully, there is NOTHING on this game, and if you do know something, please provide your findings.

I also, am lost looking for the mysterious Zindea editor and Gogouts locked behind a language barrier.

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please inform me on how you've gone about hex editing the quests.

Truthfully, there is NOTHING on this game, and if you do know something, please provide your findings.

I also, am lost looking for the mysterious Zindea editor and Gogouts locked behind a language barrier.
Well, I forgot entirely where but I obtained the hex codes of the values that represent the monsters (I think it might've been from one of the trainers linked earlier in this thread) and I opened up Quest 1 using the HxD hex editor and found the quest for "Clashing Fists!" Which I know has a Brachydios and it's hex value is 4A so I looked for that value and tried changing it to one of another one of a different monster. The rest came from very tedious testing opening up the game and loading up the quest again after changing a value and so on.

I probably could like make a small little tutorial but I am really bad at describing stuff lol. But I will if anyone cares enough, or I could just send my notes that I've made so far or something, not sure how to go about it.

Last edited by Flubabubber,

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I forgot entirely where but I obtained the hex codes of the values that represent the monsters (I think it might've been from one of the trainers linked earlier in this thread) and I opened up Quest 1 using the HxD hex editor and found the quest for "Clashing Fists!" Which I know has a Brachydios and it's hex value is 4A so I looked for that value and tried changing it to one of another one of a different monster. The rest came from very tedious testing opening up the game and loading up the quest again after changing a value and so on.

I probably could like make a small little tutorial but I am really bad at describing stuff lol. But I will if anyone cares enough, or I could just send my notes that I've made so far or something, not sure how to go about it.
Thanks for responding!

A list of the hex values for each monster if you have them and your notes on which values adjust what, (like what did you change to add 5 Gigginox instead of 1).
I know you're editing the DLC quests but can this be done with regular quests too?
Are you editing the .quest file or the .quest_BTL file?
Because once I can wrap my head around it, I'll start experimenting as well, and if push comes to shove and I make more headway than you care for, I can handle the tutorial part. I just need the basics to start.

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for responding!

A list of the hex values for each monster if you have them and your notes on which values adjust what, (like what did you change to add 5 Gigginox instead of 1).
I know you're editing the DLC quests but can this be done with regular quests too?
Because once I can wrap my head around it, I'll start experimenting as well, and if push comes to shove and I make more headway than you care for, I can handle the tutorial part. I just need the basics to start.
I'm actually not sure if I'm allowed to attach files? As I thought new members can't until they post a certain amount of messages but I'll attempt soon.

and your notes on which values adjust what, (like what did you change to add 5 Gigginox instead of 1).

Big ooff on that part, when I started writing all this down I did it very sloppily and very poorly written and some things I didn't even write down as I was too lazy and didn't know how to describe it with how badly and awkward I write but if you give me a bit I can try to clean up the notes and try my best to organize and make them readable to the human eye lol.

I've tried going through MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE [AHDP08]\content\nativeCafe\quest and tried editing the same quest in both the eu and us folders but the quest didn't seem to be actually changing so I'm not sure if the game is loading the Non-DLC quests from different source files that are probably more encrypted or not. So at the moment I only know how to edit the DLC quests sadly.

I'm editing the DLC quests that are all divided within the two files "quest1" and "quest2" in the same location as the game's save file (Cemu_2.0-47\mlc01\usr\save\00050000\10117200\user\80000001) and those don't seem to have the same file extensions as the normal game quests or any extensions at all actually. But do you know what the quest BTL file is for if you don't mind me asking? I know this might not be relevant but from my time with messing with Pikmin 2's files I thought BTL files were for animations of some sort but I know this is a different game system and they might have a different purpose here, unless you don't know either and are just asking then my bad.

Yeah that would be pretty cool if you don't mind, i guess the problem would be me trying to relay this small bit of information in a way someone can understand as I'm pretty bad when it comes to this kind of thing so I'm sorry about that, you might get frustrated with me. I'll start trying to get all this jotted down and stuff and get back to you when I have it ready if you don't mind waiting possibly a few days or more.

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh what about in "the game's root"\arc\quest\US\quest00, does that file do anything? It seems to reference back to the several detail files in the separate "root"\quest folder.

All I can gather is that .quest files seem to be the written quest details, and .supp are likely supply items?
The BTL are definitely something different here, but I also can't discern what they are for yet.

Also... I'm hopping and begging there isn't a difference in the game's structure between 3DS and WiiU because I happen to be using 3DS haha.

And don't worry, take your time. I just don't want to see any effort wasted. We want be the last of people wondering about Custom Quests and modding in MH3U...

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh what about in "the game's root"\arc\quest\US\quest00, does that file do anything? It seems to reference back to the several detail files in the separate "root"\quest folder.

Thanks for the suggestion! So I think the Wii U and the 3ds version do actually have a slightly different file structure as I found the files you mentioned but they were instead in MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE [0005000010117200]\MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE [AHDP08]\content\nativeCafe\arc\quest\US/EU, so I guess not really that much different at all looking at it again lol so I think the quest files should still be the same (hopefully)

I could be wrong as I'm not a programmer but glancing over quest00 and quest01 using the hex editor it seems like they are just listing the quests and their identifiers or something, no standard details to really edit at all like the DLC quests, unless the .arc files are too encrypted for the hex editor to really view them like that? I don't really know how it works perhaps there's a program to extract the .arc files? I've looked around for a bit but all the tools I'm finding don't work on these .arc files so I'm gonna hope that the resource files for the normal quests are elsewhere...

Zindea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, havent checked my GBATemp for a while since Im only on discord now. If there are any questions regarding MH3U modding please ask me there.

Account name: Zindea

Most tools are still on my pc regarding quest editing and other mods. Can send the links and sources to anyone who wants. Im not really active in the Wii U modding scene anymore

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the suggestion! So I think the Wii U and the 3ds version do actually have a slightly different file structure as I found the files you mentioned but they were instead in MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE [0005000010117200]\MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE [AHDP08]\content\nativeCafe\arc\quest\US/EU, so I guess not really that much different at all looking at it again lol so I think the quest files should still be the same (hopefully)

I could be wrong as I'm not a programmer but glancing over quest00 and quest01 using the hex editor it seems like they are just listing the quests and their identifiers or something, no standard details to really edit at all like the DLC quests, unless the .arc files are too encrypted for the hex editor to really view them like that? I don't really know how it works perhaps there's a program to extract the .arc files? I've looked around for a bit but all the tools I'm finding don't work on these .arc files so I'm gonna hope that the resource files for the normal quests are elsewhere...
Okay I've stumbled on many findings; first:

Yeah, I've gotten access to Zindea's quest editor, albeit an older version. And I guess Zindea is BACK here, so message them on discord to get more of the tools; (potentially up to date versions). Discord account name: Zindea.

For anyone else reading this and wants the tools I've found (that were made by Zindea); I'll provide a link as soon as this site lets me... (I think have to make one more post).
I'll continue to host it so that they aren't lost or stuck in discord purgatory.
I'll add any more tools I find to that location.

To use them, you simply have to place both .exe's into the same folder as your DLC quest files (quest0001, etc.)
The "Zindea Monster Editor" adjusts the monster data for the different DLC quests.
The "MH3U Custom Quest Editor" adjusts other values such as quest name, description, rewards, etc.
Works better for Wii U files, but they did add 3DS functionality to the monster data editor.

Again, this is allegedly an older version and it's missing some later features, it's also quite limited in general.

I don't want to continue to bother Zindea with a modding scene that they aren't interested in anymore; and rather I think we should assemble a new quest editor at some point, based on what we can gather from Zindea's work.

What I would love to suggest you do, Flubabubber, with your limited knowledge of hex editing the DLC quest files, reverse engineer what each of the modifiable variables are, and take as many notes as possible, ideally so we can break down which each value in each line adjusts, and keep that information public for other, potentially more talented, people to take a crack at it with.

As for the main quest files, I used Karameru (which is included with Kuriimu) to open the quest00.arc file. I don't know if it will work with a WiiU version since this is intended for 3DS.

openingQuestArcFile.png

They are further encrypted, but once I extracted these files they repeat the data from the US/EU quest data folders.

MerchantsMission.png

I'm assuming that it would still be impossible to modify the quest data from here? Because it seems to only list the readable quest details, it doesn't look like the actual parameters of the quest in code.

All of this has probably already been processed by other people who have done this process, but I just think it's smart to list it all here so that future modders don't waste their time.

All things have pointed to the quest parameters are in the main MH3U executable, which is lame but expected.

I'm trying to get a hold of the french quest editor. At least we can edit DLC quests!
Post automatically merged:

Alright I got my hands on Gougouts Quest editor as well. But it seems to only work with Cemu/WiiU files.

I'll keep it in my library of tools for now. Will share soon. Though, it sends your antivirus into a frenzy, thinking it's a virus. I'm 99% sure it's safe. It's from his post on an old French MH forum.

Last edited by pikminjake,

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to continue to bother Zindea with a modding scene that they aren't interested in anymore; and rather I think we should assemble a new quest editor at some point, based on what we can gather from Zindea's work.

Yeah I saw Zindea's message and got excited and wanted to message them on Discord for the tool but I honestly didn't want to be a bother, especially with me not knowing how else to message someone I don't know on there without having to first send a friend request and I thought that might be a bit obnoxious to them so I've held off on messaging them for now. But it's great to see that they're still around and well!

I'm assuming that it would still be impossible to modify the quest data from here? Because it seems to only list the readable quest details, it doesn't look like the actual parameters of the quest in code.

It's possible! That's exactly how the DLC quests look with the hex editor so I'd assume it's the exact same and can be modified as is, although the problem would be if it's possible to re-pack the files back into quest00 or quest01 with the program so the game can load from the modified quests, unless the program already does that with how it looks. I couldn't get that program to work with the Wii U's version of those .arc files tho sadly so maybe it's not possible for the Wii U but admittedly I barely tried and got frustrated and gave up so I might have another go at it, but seeing as that program was made with the 3ds version in mind it may not be possible but maybe there's something else out there. I am very happy with being able to edit the Wii U DLC quests at least.

Alright I got my hands on Gougouts Quest editor as well. But it seems to only work with Cemu/WiiU files.

I'll keep it in my library of tools for now. Will share soon. Though, it sends your antivirus into a frenzy, thinking it's a virus. I'm 99% sure it's safe. It's from his post on an old French MH forum.

That's amazing! You've got me pretty excited here, please share these tools when you get the chance! It seems you can post links on this site once you have made 5 messages. I really hope Gougouts' editor let's us do the crazy stuff we saw in their videos. The biggest limitation with editing these quests in my opinion is how you can't put the monsters in other areas they're not normally in, it would be great if the editor has that functionality. It's ashame it only works with the WiiU tho...

I'll start going through my notes again if you really think they'd be useful still. I stopped when I saw Zindea's message as I honestly thought the information would be useless now since we'd have Zindea's actual quest editor.

Last edited by Flubabubber,

Entenboot

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 397827

All of this has probably already been processed by other people who have done this process, but I just think it's smart to list it all here so that future modders don't waste their time.

All things have pointed to the quest parameters are in the main MH3U executable, which is lame but expected.
The quest parameters are actually in this file, they are just hidden among the text. So for example, this highlighted value corresponds to the location of the quest:
HXD.png

Which changes the map from the Tower to the Misty Peaks.

Goldian.png

(As a side note, I don't know how to make monsters spawn in areas that they aren't supposed to be in normally, Goldian/Silverlos just happen to have leftover data for the Misty Peaks and Arena from Portable 3rd.)

I've actually been able to figure out a good chunk of the quest structure and values for monsters/items etc. about a year ago with the help of Zindea's Editor, but I'll have to dig for the notes first. I'll post a list when I find them, maybe try and update it with a more complete list of values and just make it all a nice textfile. Though if Flubabubber beats me to it, I wouldn't complain.

Last edited by Entenboot,

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've actually been able to figure out a good chunk of the quest structure and values for monsters/items etc. about a year ago with the help of Zindea's Editor, but I'll have to dig for the notes first. I'll post a list when I find them, maybe try and update it with a more complete list of values and just make it all a nice textfile. Though if Flubabubber beats me to it, I wouldn't complain.
PLEASE share asap, because not even Zindea had that stuff figured out, only the DLC quests.

I'll attach the links after the next reply.

Gougouts actually doesn't seem to be as handy as Zindea's; speaking of, they are actually quite eager to continue to provide notes on this subject so don't be afraid to send them messages via discord.

Flubabubber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes please post the notes! I've been sluggish on writing down my notes on what values do what so It'd be nice if I get to be lazy and have someone else do it who can also explain things better. I'll help add to the notes if by chance there's anything new that I know!

pikminjake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the sake of future people looking for the modding tools, here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1p5TVjhP0MgwYDuBWUWxjOf8Js0ErVYtU?usp=drive_link
It includes Zindea's older Quest Editor, their most recent updated version of the editor, Gougout's Editor, and Zindea's MH3U Modding Tools. As well as Citra mod pack to allegedly allow for 60FPS and fix the Charm Table nonsense that 3U has.

The modtools here were designed for use on WiiU MH3U, however it is possible to use Zindea's quest editors for 3DS event quest files.

Must be placed in the same folder as your event quest files i.e. "quest1", "quest2" etc.

Gougouts Editor is immediately flagged as a virus. I'm 99% sure it's perfectly safe, though it is all in French. It uses Cheat Engine.

Furthermore, a list of Citra cheatcodes that improve the game experience:
MH3U Codes:

No Dithering:
280CC8F6 0000000F

60FPS:
086261C0 42700000

30FPS:
086261C0 41F00000

No Bloom:
002A894C 1A00027D

-50def
208f2fc0 00000001
208ec7b8 00000001

Last edited by pikminjake,

Entenboot

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So as it turns out a few of my notes are lost to time, but I did manage to piece most of it back together from what I had left.
Items aren't included for now, though, since I don't wanna wait another week just to finish that.

I tried to make it as easy to read as possible, but there is only so much formatting you can do in a text file.
I also included a bookmarks file that you can use with the stock Silver Rathalos Quest to serve as a kind of visual aid and hopefully make it a lot easier to understand.

Edit: AAAND I already found a couple mistakes. When I'm done with the item list, I'll throw in some corrections as well.

Edit Edit: There's an item list on page one of the thread. Huh.

Attachments

• MH3U Notes.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by Entenboot,

SilverLugia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch Axe: Mizar's Asterism (works)
Attack Jewel 3 x3

View attachment 109864

----------------------
Head: Sword Saint Earring
Head: Barrage Earring
Earplug Jewel 3 x3
View attachment 109866

----------------------
Chest: Chakra
Expert Jewel 3 x3
View attachment 109868

----------------------
Arm: Chakra
Draw Jewel 2 x3
View attachment 109869

----------------------
Waist: Chakra
Destroyer Jwl 3 x3
View attachment 109870

----------------------
Legs: Sailor Socks (Torso up)
Bombardier Jwl 1 x3
View attachment 109871
I'm actually not quite sure if it's really Sailor Socks, it could be 00001AD0 row, due it has the same lvl 9 and no slots...
Omg THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to find the hex values for those earrings for ages >_<
If anyone wants to know, they're as follows:

0178 = Sword Saint Earring
0179 = Barrage Earring

Also, I found every other equipment value
here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol