• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 2,165
  • Replies 21
  • Likes 3
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I've been noticing that various countries and cities have really shitty-looking buildings for some reason, most of which are modernised and they just don't look like they belong there as they're completely different.

Some examples.

DDWPV03WsAEtx0X.jpg

20170630181110334__1498856991_66125-1-jpg

Just two examples which are more than enough. These photos were taken in Andorra (a small country between Spain and France) by people who posted 'em on Twitter and typically, the architecture you'd see there would be houses, buildings and such made of rock and wood rather than metal dullness and glass.

I took these photos in Andorra last year:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

For some this might be considered nitpicking but it feels like when a country opts for this it just starts to lose its essence, its originality, its uniqueness and becomes no different than anywhere else.

Here are a couple of photos from other countries but with similar designs:

jasonhawkes-4658.jpg

UK, The Shard

cristal-toronto.jpg

CA, Lindhorst - Royal Ontario Museum

the-federal-center-south-building-1202-in-seattle-is-a-super-sustainable-home-for-the-us-army-corps-of-engineers.jpg

US, Army’s Corps of Engineers Federal Centre South Building in Seattle
It's just so frustrating to see beautiful old buildings and houses being destroyed and in their place they place these... things.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That Ontario Musem looks amazing in my opinion. I love that clash between old and hyper modern. It's sexy!

I agree. It looks badass! I guess it's just up to personal taste. If you lived in the middle of America and all you see is boring houses and buildings that look like they were mass produced, you'd appreciate the random odd looking buildings. But that's coming from the perspective of someone that lives in a country where you literally have to look at addresses when finding someone's home, cause they are all exactly alike. At least in the city.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record London has always (or at least post Great Plague) been about stupid follies so it is playing to tradition there, it is just that today some of those follies have become historical buildings. Amusingly if you read Victorian books then they in turn had a bit of a fetish for either older (gothic or ancient greek being two popular ones) or colonial buildings.

On the mountaintop cafe then steel sheet construction is probably where I would go if I can't quarry stone and am above the treeline.

Reactions: Aerocool

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That Ontario Musem looks amazing in my opinion. I love that clash between old and hyper modern. It's sexy!
My thoughts too. All the other ones seem out of place because they're modern in the middle of old stuff, but this one is completely made on purpose to create a clash and that's awesome.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Is this only in terms of having random modernized buildings surrounded by rustic/classical architecture or is it just modern architecture in general? Because I totally agree that modern architecture clashes horribly with classic architecture but modern architecture surrounded by modern/semi-modern architecture is fine.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually I sometimes like the New stuff (like the one in your second pic) but than again I as well like it better to see the "real" place and how it originally was supposed to be for a long time (but as some said, we would still need to live in straw huts or even caves like this)

When I travel around the world I am always sad if I can't find any places that remain from the past but lucky there are usually places with old towns or open air museums with old buildings.

It is actually sad that most new buildings are not ment to remain.
In 1000 years they won't find any ruins that show how we lived unlike lots of places we found from old times.

I noticed lots of "new" buildings that need to get destroyed/rebuild only after a very short time because the stuff we build is just a piece of junk :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I travel around the world I am always sad if I can't find any places that remain from the past but lucky there are usually places with old towns or open air museums with old buildings

Old cemeteries. Almost always a good bet for finding old architecture, fairly well maintained, nobody tends to mess with them (barring the odd necromancer it makes for peaceful neighbours so redevelopment tends not to happen) and usually in everywhere with any kind of history.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm also not really a fan of modern architecture.
Especially not when it's in an old part of a city.

But, like always, architects in the 1920's where also bold and designed "modern architecture" by the 1800's standard that was still widely implemented back then.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Most "modern" art is bullshit. Similar to architecture, if you look at those modern paintings which has no art whatsoever, you can tell it just shows how messed up of a mind the artist has. The artists/architectures were and always are good at expressing their feelings or themselves, so their art depends on their mentality. And today, their mentality is full of shit.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for other buildings, but fed. center south in seattle was designed that way because it let in the most amount of light and kept warmth in. Also, all of the roof is made of solar panels.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Old cemeteries. Almost always a good bet for finding old architecture, fairly well maintained, nobody tends to mess with them (barring the odd necromancer it makes for peaceful neighbours so redevelopment tends not to happen) and usually in everywhere with any kind of history.

Might sound weird but I actually do this sometimes XD
At least in Japan I went to most graveyards that I have seen, and here in Germany I have seen a few as well even though not as much as it feels kind of depressing.

But there are mainly statues and gravestones and not really proper buildings ... ^^

Aerocool

Man in a Box
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Bundeswehrmuseum in Dresden
https://goo.gl/images/y2BNvv

I mean, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

It's just so frustrating to see beautiful old buildings and houses being destroyed and in their place they place these... things.
So true, its just sad. Modern architecture can be good but lets be honest, architecture went downhill after WWII.

Last edited by Aerocool,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-