[Looking for help] Cloud Storage / NAS issues

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Heyah !

So it's a weird question, I hope I'm at the right place.
I'm pretty much looking for help / feeback after some bad experiences.

Pretty much, I'm somebody who moves a lot (Hey, I've concerts and everything right ?) and uses multiple PC. After some time, I've had in mind the idea to build a PC that would be working with Unraid and that way have a server to put all my files in. For storage, for security but also to be able to enjoy everything in one place.
I did it, spent too much money on it imo, but everything was working almost well. I started to had some issues about files not running well etc (I had a dream idea where I could just throw everything there, install games etc and call it a day), and started to had a feeling that maybe it was not the best idea to do that setup.

Yesterday, after some holidays. No way to have Unraid to work. Based on what i've seen, the mainboard died. 4 months. That's quite painful if you ask me. And I really lost hope and motivation on that one.

And I realize that maybe I was needing something else. I was looking to buy some VPN services, when I saw that NordVPN was giving a Cloud solution... For 1TB. So I was like "maybe it's the thing I need ? It could fit better my needs ?"

After some researches, i've found IceDrive which interest me a lot. I'd like to buy something like 3TB for a lifetime period, and have a better setup what I've. The idea would be to sell the server i've (at least the part) to get some money back and afford this.

But is it really better ? I don't have a lot of big files, so 3TB would be more than enough and would be able to sync with ALL my PCs.
Thanks for the help o/

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I searched once for one time pay cloud, too. There is for example also pcloud and some others which offers such plans. But be aware of low cost plans, because this companys are going to quit the plan. E.g. they scan the data and if some digital right infringement are found they quit it.

For data storing a solution would be e.g. a WD cloud, its a NAS but fully set up to work as Cloud and can be accessed from everywhere. The connection goes over Western Digital, if your at home the.connection is direct. But its really only a cloud, you cant do anything other with it as some services like PLEX running on them.

Or if you want custom one there exists Nextcloud to be set up on a Raspberry, but you need to care about anything on your own. Also how to enter it. E.g. you will need on a home IPv4 network a VPN to a external server to access it from outside if your provider connention is IPv6. If everything at your home and your Provider is running on IPv6 you can theoretically access it directly from outside by forwarding the connection.

If you compare the costs. With a one time payment solution you may upgrade it sometime later. Because data storing is growing. If buying a home cloud you maybe need to upgrade it too by bigger drive or model. And maybe need of vpn service if set up your own cloud.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your answer,

I'll reject everything based on something hosted myself basically. I'm way too mad at my NAS that cost me a lot, that didn't fullify what I wanted, is not the best electricity wise, with the fact I can't run it H24 to bead 4 months after. I just had to leave my place for 3 weeks, it was turned off and I had some importants file to get and no way because of the situation.

I'm looking for other solutions for the Cloud. I've seen NordVPN solution, but yeah I'm just lost at this point. I don't know why is it so HARD to have something that should be so simple.

Thanks a lot

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to use what I'm doing with my little OneDrive but in a more optimized way :
  • I've some important files that I use every day locally, but on this folder that way it gets synch'd between all my PCs. Having something local is also important. I'll take an example of saves on emulators, if they're not available as offline files, well it'll not work well haha.
  • I've some files that are only in the cloud, which I don't care or are more dependant to a specific PC, like some pictures or sprite stuff
  • I'd like to have everything sharing the same directory path to be easier for me. For example if one of my programs needs to call one of these files (like Github desktop) it'd be fast to find them and easy to synchronize.
  • I like that setup but the free OneDrive is so small in size and i'm not sure if it's the best privacy wise
Thanks o/

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could look into getting a NAS instead, something like a synology NAS. You could also look into use a pi as openmediavault nas.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As said before, nothing implying hosting myself. I went for a 1200€+ NAS that resulted in dying 4 months after and not being able to run H24, it's a nope

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I used Unraid for that setup, and it doesn't match what I need. I move a lot, and I turn it off when I'm not in need of it.
Last time, I had to move 3 weeks away from my place for my job in a sudden way. So it stayed off 3 weeks. When I wanted to enjoy some game and stuff, I was screwed because it was off. And then I came back, boom, mainboard died. 4 months.

I can't deal with a NAS / Homeserver pretty much.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Unraid for that setup, and it doesn't match what I need. I move a lot, and I turn it off when I'm not in need of it.
Last time, I had to move 3 weeks away from my place for my job in a sudden way. So it stayed off 3 weeks. When I wanted to enjoy some game and stuff, I was screwed because it was off. And then I came back, boom, mainboard died. 4 months.

I can't deal with a NAS / Homeserver pretty much.

Well raid isn't a backup, you still need a data backup even if you are using a raid setup, I been using a Synology DS1520+ with a 5 drives raid 6 setup, with a external drive as my data backup being mirror on to it, since you had unraid you should had made multiple copy of the data.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I do think we're getting too far from the idea of start. I have an Unraid server (the OS,; but with a RAID setup and some backups, I'm not worried for my files atm) from a custom build that died after 4 months. I can't allow it to run H24, when I need my files H24 in different places, so it doesn't match what I need in the end. I'm just planning to sell it.

However, my LITTLE cloud setup that I use a lot (to save my emulator's saves for example) is something I use every day since almost 6 years and is really my mvp. And I want something that is a little bigger than 5Gb and more private.

Thanks for the answers o/

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can probably look up one of those file storage site like 1fichier or mega and pay for a subscription for a year subscription, there is really no life time subscription as each company wants to make money.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking at these solutions. I've found some lifetime ones (pcloud, icedrive) which are quite "popular" but as said, this can just close at any time :/

I'm curious if there're some nice setup (not too expensive like hosted servers since I can't find good deals, but not free / too cheap, a good average) which allows to have the cloud setup + privacy haha

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking at these solutions. I've found some lifetime ones (pcloud, icedrive) which are quite "popular" but as said, this can just close at any time :/

I'm curious if there're some nice setup (not too expensive like hosted servers since I can't find good deals, but not free / too cheap, a good average) which allows to have the cloud setup + privacy haha

I had a "lifetime" backup service once, they shut down 1 year after I bought it, fortunately I got enough 'value' from it that I wasn't too bothered.

I also would trust anything unencrypted on services like Onedrive or Google Drive.

As for your unraid system, shouldn't the motherboard be within warranty? I personally have an Unraid setup with Wireguard VPN enabled for remote access.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah people brought me the issue of this kind of services closing down right fast, that's quite annoying to see that they're not trustable.

I do agree. I use OneDrive since on my windows since day 1 and it works well, but i'm looking for new solutions now yes haha. But something trustable and viable :/

The issue is not the warranty or just to have a new one. I realize that it doesn't match my needs at all. So I'll replace it and just sell everything after cleaning and getting back all my files.

Thanks a lot for your answers o/

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really interesting to hear !
Could I disturb you with some noobs questions about the features of it ?

If I could answer them. I'm not a techie type of guy tho.
Haad it for over a year now.
It did catch 1 intruder, which was great!

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh it's more to know if it works like OneDrive with using a real folder as a base, and if you can pause the sync on the tool (that way I can spam on the emulators without having issues that it's getting written to fast)

That's pretty much it haha

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does work like that One Drive. I have that also, but only for minor things to put on it. Which I also "Turn Off" the sync.
I also only use the free version of onedrive.
They upgraded me to 17 gigs [lol], but I don't need any more for it.
Post automatically merged:

ASUS [as in pc] also has a WebDrive. That has my most valued "Stuff" on it. lol

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-