Modern architecture looks very inconsistent and odd

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I've been noticing that various countries and cities have really shitty-looking buildings for some reason, most of which are modernised and they just don't look like they belong there as they're completely different.

Some examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just two examples which are more than enough. These photos were taken in Andorra (a small country between Spain and France) by people who posted 'em on Twitter and typically, the architecture you'd see there would be houses, buildings and such made of rock and wood rather than metal dullness and glass.

I took these photos in Andorra last year:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

For some this might be considered nitpicking but it feels like when a country opts for this it just starts to lose its essence, its originality, its uniqueness and becomes no different than anywhere else.

Here are a couple of photos from other countries but with similar designs:

[​IMG]
    UK, The Shard

[​IMG]
    CA, Lindhorst - Royal Ontario Museum

[​IMG]
    US, Army’s Corps of Engineers Federal Centre South Building in Seattle
    It's just so frustrating to see beautiful old buildings and houses being destroyed and in their place they place these... things.

'Don, Xiphiidae and fenixcumber like this.

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    those guys in the straw huts must've thought the same when the first log cabins came around

3. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    I actually like the UK Shard, it looks unique between the old buildings in Southwark

That Ontario Museum is hideous though, who the hell approved that design?

Last edited by insidexdeath, Jul 1, 2017
  4. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    (Royal Ontario Museum)
    No...... Just, No....
    The building on the left looks classy and nice. The building on the right is cool, but out of place and kind of stupid looking

Tomato Hentai and fenixcumber like this.
  5. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    As things get new replacing the old style changes because of it, sometimes good but also sad

6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    It's like an out of space monster is eating the building on the left.

7. omegasoul6

omegasoul6 ಠ_ಠ

Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto
    Oh hey a building I've actually seen.

Yeah the new ROM building is ugly as sin, I don't know anyone who likes it.

8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    That Ontario Musem looks amazing in my opinion. I love that clash between old and hyper modern. It's sexy!

Tomato Hentai and V0ltr0n like this.
  9. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I agree. It looks badass! I guess it's just up to personal taste. If you lived in the middle of America and all you see is boring houses and buildings that look like they were mass produced, you'd appreciate the random odd looking buildings. But that's coming from the perspective of someone that lives in a country where you literally have to look at addresses when finding someone's home, cause they are all exactly alike. At least in the city.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For the record London has always (or at least post Great Plague) been about stupid follies so it is playing to tradition there, it is just that today some of those follies have become historical buildings. Amusingly if you read Victorian books then they in turn had a bit of a fetish for either older (gothic or ancient greek being two popular ones) or colonial buildings.

On the mountaintop cafe then steel sheet construction is probably where I would go if I can't quarry stone and am above the treeline.

'Don likes this.
  11. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    My thoughts too. All the other ones seem out of place because they're modern in the middle of old stuff, but this one is completely made on purpose to create a clash and that's awesome.

'Don likes this.
  12. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Is this only in terms of having random modernized buildings surrounded by rustic/classical architecture or is it just modern architecture in general? Because I totally agree that modern architecture clashes horribly with classic architecture but modern architecture surrounded by modern/semi-modern architecture is fine.

'Don likes this.
  13. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Actually I sometimes like the New stuff (like the one in your second pic) but than again I as well like it better to see the "real" place and how it originally was supposed to be for a long time (but as some said, we would still need to live in straw huts or even caves like this)

When I travel around the world I am always sad if I can't find any places that remain from the past but lucky there are usually places with old towns or open air museums with old buildings.

It is actually sad that most new buildings are not ment to remain.
    In 1000 years they won't find any ruins that show how we lived unlike lots of places we found from old times.

I noticed lots of "new" buildings that need to get destroyed/rebuild only after a very short time because the stuff we build is just a piece of junk :(

Saiyan Lusitano, 'Don and Seliph like this.
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Old cemeteries. Almost always a good bet for finding old architecture, fairly well maintained, nobody tends to mess with them (barring the odd necromancer it makes for peaceful neighbours so redevelopment tends not to happen) and usually in everywhere with any kind of history.

Xiphiidae and DinohScene like this.
  15. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm also not really a fan of modern architecture.
    Especially not when it's in an old part of a city.

But, like always, architects in the 1920's where also bold and designed "modern architecture" by the 1800's standard that was still widely implemented back then.

'Don likes this.
  16. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    Most "modern" art is bullshit. Similar to architecture, if you look at those modern paintings which has no art whatsoever, you can tell it just shows how messed up of a mind the artist has. The artists/architectures were and always are good at expressing their feelings or themselves, so their art depends on their mentality. And today, their mentality is full of shit.

Saiyan Lusitano, 'Don and Xiphiidae like this.
  17. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    I can't speak for other buildings, but fed. center south in seattle was designed that way because it let in the most amount of light and kept warmth in. Also, all of the roof is made of solar panels.

18. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Might sound weird but I actually do this sometimes XD
    At least in Japan I went to most graveyards that I have seen, and here in Germany I have seen a few as well even though not as much as it feels kind of depressing.

But there are mainly statues and gravestones and not really proper buildings ... ^^

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

20. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    The Bundeswehrmuseum in Dresden
    https://goo.gl/images/y2BNvv

I mean, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

So true, its just sad. Modern architecture can be good but lets be honest, architecture went downhill after WWII.

Last edited by 'Don, Jul 3, 2017