Hacking Mod-chips- I need to know more.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT:

I've decided to make this thread a Mod-Chip Q&A (Question and Answer) thread. I've asked a lot of questions through here that might help a lot of people, but people might also want to ask some more.

Below is the original post I made.

Basically, I have a launch Wii and it's on 3.2E (i'm in England) still. I would like a chip that can play DVD's (so I can put Wii games on them and the like), be able to play games from anywhere in the world and for me not to have to solder it in, i.e. the Wii-Clip. So what would best suite all that?

What I have at the moment is:
DVD-R discs
Standard Dell DVD drive (do I need one capable of dual-layer?)

So...can anyone answer that? Pwease?

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
I'm the same as you, I just installed mine last week. What I installed was a wii-clip + wiikey from ozmodchips. It only cost £35 with the shipping and the tri-wing and took a week to get here. I've gotten some of my games onto Verbatim DVD+R's, but my computer is dying and keeps crashing when I try to burn games now, so I tried a DVD-RW. It worked, but didn't read, unsurprisingly. I used the DVD-RW to burn the newest update though, so it could read my retail Brawl and it worked fine.

So in conclusion, wiiclip + wiikey is what you need, dual layer if you want to do dual layer games without ripping stuff out (e.g. brawl removes vidyas).

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
MizuhoChan said:
I'm the same as you, I just installed mine last week. What I installed was a wii-clip + wiikey from ozmodchips. It only cost £35 with the shipping and the tri-wing and took a week to get here. I've gotten some of my games onto Verbatim DVD+R's, but my computer is dying and keeps crashing when I try to burn games now, so I tried a DVD-RW. It worked, but didn't read, unsurprisingly. I used the DVD-RW to burn the newest update though, so it could read my retail Brawl and it worked fine.

So in conclusion, wiiclip + wiikey is what you need, dual layer if you want to do dual layer games without ripping stuff out (e.g. brawl removes vidyas).
Thanks, I just went on OzModChips and the price of Wii-Clip V3 with everything comes to £31.6344p...

But the Wii can still read normal games, right? Games that are bought from a shop? You don't have to put them all on discs, do you?

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You could also get the Key-Clip, it's a Wii-Clip with an ATMega chip built in so you can program it with the dumped Wiikey code.
Deal Extreme sells them for £13 shipped, but they seem to be on backorder since yesterday.

You can run original games with a modchip.

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, thanks everyone. But I still have some more questions.

Does the WiiKey give region-free support? Also, I'd just like to ask how easy it is to install the Wii-Clip. Many thanks.

djcraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing a mod-chip can be hard or easy depdending on the person.. If your doing soldering, you have to be very precise and have a lot of patience.. However, I will agree if you use a wiiclip then as long as you keep your screws in order and where they go its very straight forward..

I saw this one guy use masking-tape that he put the screws on and drew a line from the screw pointing to a diagram to where it goes if you fear you'll lose one.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Modchips. Okay.

First of all - yes the most of mochips enables regionfree compability, however:
1. Updates from other regions can brick your wii. However, it's small problem, because you can easily patch or remove update.
2. NTSC TV mode is not supported on PAL consoles or otherwise. It's not a problem too, since you have 3.2 firmware you can use something called Freeloader (you can DL it too) to automaticaly boot the game to work on your TV. Plus, you can patch TV mode to sometimes work. Also, you can use homebrew app called Gecko OS.

If you have launch wii, then you could have problems with Dual layer/DVD RW discs. Then, if you could, borrow a Super Smash Bros. Brawl (there was Super Smash Bros. Brothers
laugh.gif
at my typing) and try if it will work. If not - you could send your wii to Nintendo since it's unmodded to fix this problem. I found however that simply cleaning laser MAY fix it.

Istalling a modchip isn't a pain in the ass. If you want to buy a Wii Clip, then installation will be rather easy.

Wii is not an Gamecube and will rather read all brands of DVD-/+Rs. But it's recommended to buy better quality discs like Verbatims, TDKs, Sonys or so. The best burning program is IMGburn BTW, but some people like Nero better.

If you have more questions ask.

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks skawo96. That's helped a lot. I do have a copy of Brawl and it works absolutely fine, so I have no need to send it back. The discs I have now are 4.7GB DVD-R single-layer Kodak discs, which I think are fine.

At the moment i'm just trying to persuade my mum to get one. She doesn't know the joys of it all...

Oh, one other question. All the 'the pins need to be uncut'- what does this mean? Are the pins in my Wii uncut because it's a launch Wii?

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I watched one on YouTube and then I saw a guide, and they looked completely different. The person on YouTube (I think it was waninkoko) seemed to use a really long way of doing it. But yes, I would like a guide, thanks.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
Well, I watched one on YouTube and then I saw a guide, and they looked completely different. The person on YouTube (I think it was waninkoko) seemed to use a really long way of doing it. But yes, I would like a guide, thanks.
Just wait awhile I have to find it (so I have to got past 20 pages of 3.3 topics, so it will be long)

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Edit:Double post, sorry. Too late.

FOUND IT! How I don't know, but... My old guide:

Here is how to open wii;
First remove these two:
s5003876cn8.jpg

Next get your smallest screwdriver and remove these screws:
clipboard01ag1.jpg

now remove the black thingy and you will see a white thingy:
clipboard02qv1.jpg

now remove these screws that are in red Os. You will need a triwing or something that will fit in.
When you end, next turn your console down and remove clock battery:
clipboard03qx4.jpg

...and these screws:
clipboard04gx1.jpg

(Some of them are behing a white thingys. Remove them with flat screwdriver)
Next remove these screws:
clipboard14iw3.jpg

(they are behind white things. remember: these are the Y ones.
Next CAREFULLY remove the clap with power button and VERY CAREFULLY remove this cable:
clipboard06pg4.jpg

Next remove these thingys and remove screws:
clipboard07cu7.jpg

Next you must remove the box of wii. Do this carefully and slowly. Now you can see the metal thingy that covers DVD. Remember how it is on DVD and remove it:
clipboard08xn0.jpg

Remove these screws
clipboard09eg5.jpg

AND VERY CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY lift the drive.
Remove this cable from socket.
clipboard10fy3.jpg

And we have it
evil.gif
There you can try to clip the chip
smile.gif

clipboard11mc1.jpg

Ps. Used someone's photo's to this guide. I found them, but maybe somene don't want them there - if so tell me, I can remove them.

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that- I'll use that!

Also, using the WiiKey, could I just burn the disc using whatever and then put it straight in the Wii, or would I have to Trucha Sign it first?

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
Thanks for that- I'll use that!

Also, using the WiiKey, could I just burn the disc using whatever and then put it straight in the Wii, or would I have to Trucha Sign it first?
Using IMGburn at 4x you almost always do not need to do anything with game...unless it show 001 error/update. If so: tell me, I'll tell you what to do.

Also remember to put Wiikey configure disk first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: someone is saying ultimate nes remix didn't had less games, it makes my brain hurts