Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
_47456552_mcmillen_ap_226b.jpg
QUOTE said:
A school board in the US state of Mississippi has cancelled a high school prom after a female student asked to attend with her girlfriend.
The board said it would not host the event due to "distractions to the educational process".
Student Constance McMillen, 18, said the move was in retaliation for her request to bring her girlfriend to the event and wear a tuxedo.
The school had circulated a memo prohibiting same-sex dates.
Ms McMillen, 18, approached school officials shortly before the memo was issued.
Ultimatum
According to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which is backing Ms McMillen's case, the school board told her that she and her partner would not be allowed to arrive at the event together nor would she be allowed to wear a tuxedo, AP reported.
Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton also reserved the right to ask Ms McMillen and her girlfriend to leave if it made any other students feel uncomfortable, the ACLU said.
The ACLU had given the Itawamba County school district until Wednesday to reverse the school's ban on same-sex couples attending proms.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the board said it hoped that "private citizens will organise an event for the juniors and seniors" instead.
Ms McMillen said cancelling the prom was an act of "retaliation".
"A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this," she told local media.
She also said that when she asked a teacher about the school's ban on same-sex dates at the prom, she was told she had to remember where she was.
Source

Just sad...
Stupid Dixie morons.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
What ever happened to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I'm not homosexual
(Not that it matters whether I am or not), but I think it's fucking ridiculous for heterosexual people to have a shitstorm over lesbian/gay couples and anything and everything they do.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry for those lesbian couple. This school is a monster and we should riot over this school until they change their mind about homosexual couple.
smile.gif

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They canceled the prom because the girls fat and no one wants to see a fat lesbian. But really who gives a shit about your political views. You have to be a moron to post this on gbatemp. That'd be like me posting for people to join the fight against gay marriage. Not really the place to proselytize, is it? Don't assume that everyone shares your veiws either. Some of us just don't care whether or not the lesbian goes to the prom. boo hoo

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*snip

On Topic: I don't see anything wrong about that... Seriously, what's it gonna do if you see a Same-Sex couple at prom. It is in no way related to school since it is probably after school.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that sucks. I really don't see why the WHOLE PROM had to be canceled, just because of a lesbian couple. In the least, just ban them from the prom altogether. Damn, she ASKED if it was okay, and even then canceled the whole thing. What is happening to the schools these days?

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ok with it but only if they touch each other in front of me and they can't be too hard on the eyes. If they can't fit that criteria they have to right to be lesbians.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DarkWay said:
The Pink Cat Boy said:
*sighs* One would think in 2010 bull shit like this would be long gone.

unfortunately it'll be around for decades to come as people just don't learn
I know, I live in Pro-Gay State and still deal with this kinda crap.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Pink Cat Boy said:
DarkWay said:
The Pink Cat Boy said:
*sighs* One would think in 2010 bull shit like this would be long gone.

unfortunately it'll be around for decades to come as people just don't learn
I know, I live in Pro-Gay State and still deal with this kinda crap.

Discrimination is something that has been around for a LONG time, there's no easy way to rid the world of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1