Hacking Migrate from exFAT to FAT32.

zxzxq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
My console is on version 16.0.0 and Atmosphere 1.5.0, I use emunand.
My SD card is in exFAT and I have read that this can cause problems in the long run, my question is how can I change it to FAT32 without losing the game save files which is the most important thing.
I was thinking of making a backup of the emuMMC partition on my computer and in the same way making a backup of all the files on my SD, but FAT32 only accepts files up to 4GB, so what can I do?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A rather significant portion of Nintendo Switch games use files that are over 4gb in size and thus can't be loaded onto a fat32 drive, are you using game cartridges or digital downloads for your games? You could possibly compress or split the files into chunks smaller then 4GB, but then they would not be readable by the Switch as it isn't set up to recognized compressed or multipart files.

What are these long run problems that exFAT supposedly cause? I'm suspecting that list may be referring to when exFAT first came out and was not supported as well.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
A rather significant portion of Nintendo Switch games use files that are over 4gb in size and thus can't be loaded onto a fat32 drive, are you using game cartridges or digital downloads for your games? You could possibly compress or split the files into chunks smaller then 4GB, but then they would not be readable by the Switch as it isn't set up to recognized compressed or multipart files.

What are these long run problems that exFAT supposedly cause? I'm suspecting that list may be referring to when exFAT first came out and was not supported as well.
I think switch pack games into chunk files less than 4gb in size, even if you not on fat32. exfat can be corrupted by homebrew apps. I once foiled my SD with retroarch, had to format it.

Last edited by Reploid,
  • Love
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card is in exFAT and I have read that this can cause problems in the long run, my question is how can I change it to FAT32 without losing the game save files which is the most important thing.
I was thinking of making a backup of the emuMMC partition on my computer and in the same way making a backup of all the files on my SD, but FAT32 only accepts files up to 4GB, so what can I do?
Correct. It’s the way Ninty implemented the exfat drivers. They do their best to ensure you are not writing to the SDCard when the Sytem shuts down. Homebrew and CFW on the SDCard? not so much. Exfat doesn’t have a backup allocation table so once you’re screwed…you’re really screwed and you lose data. This is bad(tm). For this reason the more stable FAT32 drivers are preferred. All modern software (Atmosphere, Hekate and almost all homebrew) are aware of the 4G limitation and automatically split files into 4G chunks so size limitations don’t enter the picture. It is highly recommended that you switch to FAT32 before you have exfat file system corruption.

If you have an emuMMC partition it is not associated with your exfat partition in any way. Do not format your hidden partition or you will lose your game saves.

You should make a backup of your hidden partition using Hekate before doing anything.

What you'll need:

Steps:

1. You'll have to first boot into Hekate, and then go to the Tools tab.
  2. After that choose Backup eMMC and then turn on SD emuMMC RAW Partition.
  3. Pick SD emuMMC RAW GPP.
  4. Once done, press Close, and go back to the Tools tab.
  5. Pick Backup eMMC and then, and then turn on SD emuMMC RAW Partition.
  6. Pick SD emuMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1.
  7. Once the backup is done, plug your SD card into your PC and go to your /backup/xxxxxxxx/ folder and move all rawnand.bin.xx, BOOT0, and BOOT1 files to a safe place on your PC

A major portion of this was taken directly from: https://rentry.org/EmuNANDNewSDcard

You can simply copy paste the data from you current SDCard using a regular Windows PC.

Format the only partition you can see to FAT32.

Copy your data back from your PC to your new FAT32 partition and job done.

Last edited by binkinator,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, should I use GUIFormat to remove all viewable data, then copy it back to SD?

Yes, but please make sure you back everything up first.

It’s also recommended to use 64k block size but if you use 32k (the default in GUIFormat, I believe) it won’t kill you.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, ok, I'll do it.
In case something goes wrong, how do I recover everything through backup?
To recover…

delete the new /atmosphere/ and /bootloader/ directories you are about to make and then…

move/rename /atmosphere.bk to /atmosphere/
move/rename /bootloader.bk to /bootloader/

reboot

:-)

• Love

zxzxq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello again, I did the procedure and when opening hekate I got this error

Failed to mount SD card. (FatFS Error 13).
Make sure that a FAT partition exists..

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again, I did the procedure and when opening hekate I got this error

Failed to mount SD card. (FatFS Error 13).
Make sure that a FAT partition exists..

seems the format didn’t work. No worries. Nothing wrong w/ your Switch. Just need to format the one partition with fat32 again. If it fails again, please take some screenshots on your PC of what you are doing so we can figure out what’s going on.

reign226

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Posted this yesterday but seems to have disappeared. I'm on exFAT and after migrating to FAT32 (64KB cluster), experience longer (80%) boot times, game loading times also appear to be measurably slower, bearable but very annoying considering I've gotten used to the faster load times on exFAT.

I did a sd card bench in hekate and its getting 90MB/s sequential read, 10 MB/s 4kiB random and around 3000 IOPS, which is par the course for my U3/A1 class SDXC card.

Is this a configuration problem, or is FAT32 just known to be slower?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posted this yesterday but seems to have disappeared. I'm on exFAT and after migrating to FAT32 (64KB cluster), experience longer (80%) boot times, game loading times also appear to be measurably slower, bearable but very annoying considering I've gotten used to the faster load times on exFAT.

I did a sd card bench in hekate and its getting 90MB/s sequential read, 10 MB/s 4kiB random and around 3000 IOPS, which is par the course for my U3/A1 class SDXC card.

Try 32kb cluster

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your saves are not there, it's in either sysnand or emunand. To switch to FAT32 is very easy. Make a backup of your files on exFAT ( simply copy everything ). Use hekate to format your sd to FAT32 keeping the location of your emunand ( takes just a few seconds ). Copy back your backup and it will just work. The whole process will just take some minutes.
Post automatically merged:

There is no difference in performance, just size of individual file and on a Switch tremendous risk of pain using exFAT with homebrew.

reign226

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I've tried both 32k and 64k cluster. It remains that in my case at least there is a perceptible performance drop on FAT32. I don't know if its a bug or some other problem, I will try with another SD Card. It remains that the card benches properly in hekate so I don't think its a card or hardware issue.

In terms of individual file actually there is no difference because by default all large files have been split to <4GB regardless of file system.

I'll do some timing test when i get home.

siralbani

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Correct. It’s the way Ninty implemented the exfat drivers. They do their best to ensure you are not writing to the SDCard when the Sytem shuts down. Homebrew and CFW on the SDCard? not so much. Exfat doesn’t have a backup allocation table so once you’re screwed…you’re really screwed and you lose data. This is bad(tm). For this reason the more stable FAT32 drivers are preferred. All modern software (Atmosphere, Hekate and almost all homebrew) are aware of the 4G limitation and automatically split files into 4G chunks so size limitations don’t enter the picture. It is highly recommended that you switch to FAT32 before you have exfat file system corruption.

If you have an emuMMC partition it is not associated with your exfat partition in any way. Do not format your hidden partition or you will lose your game saves.

You should make a backup of your hidden partition using Hekate before doing anything.

You can simply copy paste the data from you current SDCard using a regular Windows PC.

Format the only partition you can see to FAT32.

Copy your data back from your PC to your new FAT32 partition and job done.
I tried to make that backup but it shows "Fialed to find a partition...".
What to do?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
FAT32 is just slower but it's better than HOS randomly corrupting your filesystem. There is nothing you can do.
HOS doesn't corrupt the filesystem. Don't be silly. Certain apps do, and neither HOS or games do that.
I have exFAT for about since the release of the console and never had an issue.
Stop or change your habit of force stopping apps and use apps developed by competent developers or specific for the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!