Microsoft's Project Scorpio to use FreeSync and HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States

After the spec reveal of Microsoft's upcoming console, Project Scorpio, more hardware information about it has been revealed. According to Eurogamer, Scorpio will be utilizing AMD's FreeSync, as well as HDMI 2.1. FreeSync is technology that allows for the removal of screen-tearing as well as reducing stuttering from unstable framerates. The console will implement the newer variation, FreeSync 2, which has support for HDR. The other inclusion, HDMI 2.1 uses VRR, variable refresh rate, another method of making games look as if they have a much smoother performance. You can read the in-depth and detailed report below.

:arrow: Source

jsa, NoNAND, gnmmarechal and 2 others like this.

2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Now finding a supported TV with freesync may be challenging, but the future may be different. GSync is currently adding quite a price increase in monitors so freesync and ARR are welcome additions regardless of the Xbox one being focused as a TV console

3. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Suddenly feel emasculated by my Acer Predactor X34 with Gsync.

4. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I dont buy pre-built PC's Microsoft sorry

5. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Gambia, The
    If you got such a monitor for a certain reason, I guess you won't necessarily need a Scorpio.

6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm just wondering now if Scorpio will give us more $599 USD memes.

gnmmarechal and Dr.Hacknik like this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The Scorpio is heavily customised and features hardware implementations of normally software-based solutions, like DX12 for instance. The number of DirectX instructions was reduced from thousands to about a dozen, it's nothing like a "pre-built PC".

TarkinMX, gamefan5, netovsk and 2 others like this.
  8. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    Cool, so what games they got? none? yeah goodluck.

Clouded Sun and Bladexdsl like this.
  9. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Freesync monitor isn't really expensive

10. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    All Xbone titles and I believe backported 360 titles as well.

TarkinMX, netovsk and chartube12 like this.
  11. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    lol....

gnmmarechal and Hayleia like this.
  12. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    When i bought my 4k tv i didn't know there are two different hdr and 4k codings used. Didnt know until a few weeks ago. Now my slim is useless for 4k. My tv has the 4k and hdr by doby, both known together has doby vision. The manufacturer says they are working on an update to add hdr 10 and the other 4k coding xbox, ps4 pro and others use. But it is a slow process. Mainly because once doby certifies a device for doby vision, it is against thier tos for the device to be able to use hdr 10 and the mainstream 4k

Last edited by chartube12, Apr 11, 2017
  13. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I hope this'll encourage NVIDIA to add freesync support for my 1070

TarkinMX, Clouded Sun and lampdemon like this.
  14. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    ... I don't think you get what Freesync/Gsync are...

Pluupy and kumikochan like this.
  15. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    Most technically illiterate thing I read all day, that topped the article on Andromeda 1.5 patch bullshit about how it was "thwarting piracy" lol.

All consoles are prebuilt PC's, with feature limiting custom software.

There should be a law selling any hardware with an OS pre-installed unless specifically requested.

Free that market right up.

Last edited by jimbo13, Apr 11, 2017
  16. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

Oct 27, 2014
    United States
    If people wanted to install their own OS onto a pc, they would have gotten (built) a pc and not a console. Consoles are for the lazy majority of the gaming community that don't want to go through the hassle of building their own pc and setting it up.

TarkinMX likes this.
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It depends on what definition of the abbreviation we're talking about - the contemporary "PC" or the grossly outdated "personal computer" which is pretty vague. Technically speaking even a calculator is a "PC", it's personal and it computes. In your smugness you forgot to mention that the term "PC" has come to mean "IBM Compatible x86 personal computer", which consoles most certainly are not. It's been like this since the 90's when IBM Compatibles pretty much obliterated every other computer brand besides Apple Mac's, and today's Mac's are IBM Compatibles anyways. I'm more than well-versed in the subject, your attempt at a "gotcha" doesn't really impress me. As far as the "pre-built PC" argument is concerned, the XBO and the PS4 are no more "pre-built PC's" than the 360 is a Mac, so the argument is stupid. They're all custom-tailored machines. It would be nice if you didn't assume someone's level of expertise on the basis of an obscure term that's been out of popular use for over two decades, it makes you look ignorant.

air2004, TarkinMX, gamefan5 and 3 others like this.
  18. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    The Jaguar x86-64 processor in the XBone is a standard PC architecture.

Sorry I speak the Queens English, not console fanboi.

Computer,
    An electronic device which is capable of receiving information (data) in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions (program) to produce a result in the form of information or signals.

Claiming consoles aren't a computer with custom feature limiting software was the only "Gotcha".

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    There's more to "PC architecture" than the CPU. I don't know about Appbox One (which is probably close to standard "PC" architecture because Windows won't run on anything else), but PS4 is definitely not PC architecture, even though it has a similar CPU.

This was more commonplace back in the day when you had all sorts of x86 systems that ran MS-DOS but weren't compatible on the hardware level.

Some examples:
    All of these had Intel x86-architecture CPUs and MS-DOS, but were not compatible on the hardware level with the original IBM PC.

20. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I don't think you understand that freesync and gsync are competing standards that do the same thing, and that freesync monitors are significantly cheaper than gsync monitors. Or perhaps you don't understand that NVIDIA refuses to implement freesync into their drivers because they like the fees they get from gsync monitors.

Or perhaps you simply don't understand market forces causing companies to adopt standards against their will. It's ok, no-one understands everything.