• Replies 63

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am probably a bias when it comes to PSN, but I will explain my personal story on how PSN operated for myself. I am sure everyone has a unique experience with all services. I have had the system since it came out, and I wasn't really impressed with simple things to begin with. Account creation and updates were just two hurdles that seemed to take forever. Even the Wii had speedier account creation and updates imo. I am sure PSN has changed with time, as have all services, but originally downloading applications from PSN were a hassle, and once again took very long for me. When I use Xbox Live, I can download a 3 GB game, in about 15 minutes off of XBL. Back in the day I remember it took me around 2 hours to download a demo of MGS4. Tiny things like that just irked me the wrong way. Also the community was tiny, and still is in regards to the bubble I live in. None of my friends own or operate a Playstation 3 anymore. They either got a PC for gaming or an Xbox 360. This killed my interest a lot in the community. Having no one but strangers to play with, I became less interested in it as an online service. The updates aren't regulated in a kind fashion. Xbox has seasonal updates that aren't very spotty or inconvenient. I find I am constantly updating my PS3. I will admit that somethings done on the PS3 are even better than the Xbox. Many apps were first on the PS3, and worked wonderfully from the get go. I think sony has tried very hard to make the PS3 unique as far as online services go. But the experience I have had with online sessions, lag, lack of community, network difficulties, and clunky software has spoiled it for me.
That was a very comprehensive answer, thank you. As long as you have your reasons to choose one service over another (and I mean actual, real life reasons) then it's entirely understandable and I can see how PSN updates could be annoying (also erratic due to combating CFW...) so you have a point. As for lengthy downloads, one has to keep in mind that PS3 games are on the big side, so yeah, they do take a while.

All in all, what you say makes sense, but a lot has changed and the PS3 isn't updated nearly as often as it used to (my friend has one and plays on PSN nearly all the time, so I take his word for it, plus I play at his place myself so hey :P) so do give it another go when you get the chance. My PSN adventure mostly takes place via the PSVita and I have to say that all the typically portable features like Near, Activity Logs on the game's title screen (specifically this. I don't need to open any new application to check which of my friends did what lately in a given game - all the activities including trophies are accessible by just clicking the Home button - very handy!) and all the tiny tidbits really do put the bar way up there - top-notch service.

Reactions: Vinnymac

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lot of poor people on here.....:P
Personally I'm not an online gamer but my 2 lads are, and for those types of games Live thumps PSN, offering far less lag (do you PS3 types know your machine caps your speed?), and a much larger community for these types of games. The lads also spend lots of time taking advantage of cross game chat too - sure us older folks don't care for that but my 10yo...? £70 per year for 4 of us is pocket money, and I also get some pretty good deals on Gold for myself, both in DOTW and the Sales & Specials Plus app...
*Is also a PSN Plus user, for both my PS3 & Vita*
PS3 is a fantastic machine for its exclusives (I've pre downloaded Ni No Kuni and will be hammering that tmoz!), but it's the 360 for everything else.
.....I'm assuming Sony's work on in-game advertising during online play passed by without a topic on here last year?? It might not come to fruition, but if it does, £70 a year to avoid my lads cussing and ripping about another 30 second tampon advert in between bouts of their beloved CoD is money well spent! ;)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am probably a bias when it comes to PSN, but I will explain my personal story on how PSN operated for myself. I am sure everyone has a unique experience with all services.

No, everyone has the exact same experience. PSN has no advantages over Live, and Live has no advantages over PSN. In terms of content, both offer a superior experience then the WFC infrastructure on the Wii, however neither is better. I have used all the online services and Live and PSN are exactly the same in nearly every area.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Wait wait WAIT! Hold the fuck up. Are you telling me that Microsoft can allow access to Netflix for silver members? Are you telling me that Microsoft has intentionally locked out an app, that not only did they not write, but the vast majority of data doesn't even touch their servers?

I mean I knew that Netflix was an app that was locked out until you had a Gold membership, but FUCK, I thought it was just a part of the architecture of the whole thing. I thought that it was impossible for it to be otherwise. Now I know better. Now I don't feel so bad that my 360 red ringed right before my Gold sub ran out. That's goddamn ridiculous.

Reactions: Foxi4

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait wait WAIT! Hold the fuck up. Are you telling me that Microsoft can allow access to Netflix for silver members? Are you telling me that Microsoft has intentionally locked out an app, that not only did they not write, but the vast majority of data doesn't even touch their servers?
There are plenty of apps that can be run with just a silver membership.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I hate paying for XBLA, but then again, Netflix is pretty integral for my parents...(Even if we have 5 other things that play Hulu/NF, we still gotta make sure that Xbox can use it too...)

I guess this 3 days will be pretty useful to the five people in the world that take advantage of it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I mean I knew that Netflix was an app that was locked out until you had a Gold membership, but FUCK, I thought it was just a part of the architecture of the whole thing. I thought that it was impossible for it to be otherwise. Now I know better. Now I don't feel so bad that my 360 red ringed right before my Gold sub ran out. That's goddamn ridiculous.

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. And people actually support Microsoft and their practices but bash every other company, while Microsoft is literally scamming you out of money??

It's because of bullshit like this that I don't feel bad for selling my Xbox to my friend at all. He always begs me to get an Xbox because it's better and all that shit, but he's just being stupid. When it comes to Netflix, I'm happy with my PS3 and my WiiU. Both offer me fantastic online service to watch Netflix for just 8 bucks a month, and I get to watch it in HD and everything. What the fuck is Microsoft thinking?

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's stupid to pay for Gold to use the Netflix (Hulu+, Amazon Instant Video, cable/FiOS) app.

OR you can always use the Xbox as a Media Center extender and use Netflix there. lol

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight, if I pay for Xbox Live Gold, and if I pay for Netflix to use on my console, I get to watch the entire first season House of Cards free for three days? Sign me up! To think that Wii U and PS3 owners have been missing out on this steal of a deal.... real shame in this day and age.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pay for Xbox Live. Mostly because of the discounts on games offered weekly, and because I regularly find 12 month cards cheap. Also, the few friends I do play online with have Xbox, not PS3.

In my area, at least, I will give a slight speed advantage to Xbox when downloading. Both my 360 and PS3 are on wired connections, latest firmware installed. Say I have similar download sizes, the Xbox will always finish first.

If I play a game, I may have lag with either. Generally, the PS3 gets more lag. Generally. Usually, it depends on the game.

However, if I feel the mood to play with trash-talking tweens who swear more than DMX but sound more like Mickey Mouse, well.... Xbox has that hands down.

Reactions: Gahars

Bluetank

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Attaching a credit card to my Xbox360 to pay for LIVE was a bad mistake, I found it was nearly impossible to take it off. Lucky I had one of those 48 hours LIVE passes hidden in one of my games and as soon as I entered it on my account I could finally take my card off on Xbox.com without it giving me an error. Turning off auto-renewal never worked for me, just keep giving me errors when I tried and Xbox support kept saying they would take it off but they never did.

I probably should've gotten LIVE cards but I did not expect it to be that bad with a card. I am single player mostly but features on BKN&B made me get it, after I was done with it so I wanted to stop paying for it.

Requiring LIVE for something like IE I can understand since they provide it but for access for a third party app that doesn't even run off their network is just greedy.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oooh, was a bad day at the office for me yesterday etc etc hehe.... Apologies - if the tables were turned and this was Xbox 'girls' doing a similar rant, trust me I'd have a go at them too in defense of the PS3 - the whole 'ours is better than yours' just gets on my tits big time... but we've been at it since the Nintendo vs Sega days haven't we ehh...
That said, the original point of the topic I completely agree with most of you on anyway - I'm Gold of course so don't know for sure but I'm guessing other apps like BBCi etc are Gold only? Ridiculous, typical M$!

I now humbly log off to play my downloaded PS3 title Ni No Kuni at long last....... wait, seems to be problem there lol!

Then the cap must be above my internet cap of 80mbps because that's what my cap is and that's what my PS3 shows :lol: .And I'm 90% sure most people don't need faster internet speeds than that. :P

Actually yes I was bitching there, but the cap is there (sort of). Download cap of 2.5Mb/sec from the store, trust me it's there. Not sure about online (do you really need more than 2.5Mb/sec for online gaming plus chat?) but it might be....

You do have to wonder if Sony, who aren't exactly in rude health these days, are looking at Xbox Live Gold and feeling a tiny bit jealous though - millions pay for Live each month, and say we're talking £30/$50 per year per person as a rough figure due to all the different rates etc, that's a whole lot of money in Microsoft's pocket...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You do have to wonder if Sony, who aren't exactly in rude health these days, are looking at Xbox Live Gold and feeling a tiny bit jealous though - millions pay for Live each month, and say we're talking £30/$50 per year per person as a rough figure due to all the different rates etc, that's a whole lot of money in Microsoft's pocket...
That's why they made PS+. It's basically a PSN promo with a cost (though IMO better freebies than what live has to offer in contrast). :)

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why they made PS+. It's basically a PSN promo with a cost (though IMO better freebies than what live has to offer in contrast). :)
PS+ isn't anywhere close to Xbox Live Gold. Yes, both offer discounts on games, but any "free" games given through PS+ expire when your subscription runs out.

If PS+ went toward reducing the lag and giving better service, I'd have kept it. It was a decent value, and the discounts were nicer than the "Free" games.

But, Sony lost me after that whole hacking thing. Never felt the same with them since. Just my experience, though. Yours will vary. At least they finally have Paypal as an option on PSN. That may get me back to buying there again.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well! Brought a 360 when the PS3 was shit. Now the 360 refuses to die. I guess I can live with the £30 a year. I will admit that if the old girl ever fell over I might be considering jumping ship.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Netflix on the 360 isn't even that great. Afaik, netflix on the PS3 actually works in 1080p. Not gonna lie, the PS3 beats the 360 when it comes to media hands down, but imo gaming will always be superior on the 360.

EDIT: Since we are entering that topic, the 360 is nothing to defend, it really is a scam. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games on it and I honestly don't mind paying the money for a yearly subscription of LIVE, but to pay $60 yearly and getting ads in your face? That's straight up robbery.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol