TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I play for Live Gold is because A) I already had a 360 for years (and no PS3), and B) after moving in August, I could no longer play with my 360-owning friends without it. And C) I really want Youtube on my bigscreen in HD (which the Wii doesn't have).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I use Xbox LIVE because I have an Xbox 360. If I had a PS3, I wouldn't have a 360. In fact, when I bought my first 360 in 2009 I was actually walking into the store to buy a PS3... However, I was offered a deal on a MS-refurbed 360 that came with 2 controllers, 2 headsets, and 2 games for more than $100 less than the barebones PS3 at the time. Wasn't concerned in the least with Xbox Live since I wasn't interested in playing online. About a year later a buddy talked me into getting Live so we could play through Borderlands and I've had it ever since.

PS3 was just too expensive for the experience it offered a few years ago and I haven't given it another thought since. I'm sure Sony has improved some things, but first impressions are hard to erase...

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I use Xbox LIVE because I have an Xbox 360. If I had a PS3, I wouldn't have a 360. In fact, when I bought my first 360 in 2009 I was actually walking into the store to buy a PS3... However, I was offered a deal on a MS-refurbed 360 that came with 2 controllers, 2 headsets, and 2 games for more than $100 less than the barebones PS3 at the time. Wasn't concerned in the least with Xbox Live since I wasn't interested in playing online. About a year later a buddy talked me into getting Live so we could play through Borderlands and I've had it ever since.

PS3 was just too expensive for the experience it offered a few years ago and I haven't given it another thought since. I'm sure Sony has improved some things, but first impressions are hard to erase...
You can own both. I too first bought a 360, then bought a PS3 about a year ago. The PS3 has dropped in price compared to years ago. The PS3 is amazing for all things media, and some nice exclusive games too. It's nice owning the best of both worlds.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can own both. I too first bought a 360, then bought a PS3 about a year ago. The PS3 has dropped in price compared to years ago. The PS3 is amazing for all things media, and some nice exclusive games too. It's nice owning the best of both worlds.
Exclusive titles will never sell me a system. I don't care enough about any specific game to make a decision based on which system one is released on. There are enough games on Xbox to keep me busy, especially since I'm not a game-snob.

The price has certainly dropped, but as a husband and father, I have better things to spend a few hundred dollars on at the moment. I'll probably still be playing Xbox 360 for 3 or more years into the next gen. Probably one of the few people here who look at gaming as a hobby rather than a lifestyle... I'd never bash anyone for playing one system over another though, unless they play Nintendo systems... Nintendo gamers are trash...

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Exclusive titles will never sell me a system. I don't care enough about any specific game to make a decision based on which system one is released on. There are enough games on Xbox to keep me busy, especially since I'm not a game-snob.

The price has certainly dropped, but as a husband and father, I have better things to spend a few hundred dollars on at the moment. I'll probably still be playing Xbox 360 for 3 or more years into the next gen. Probably one of the few people here who look at gaming as a hobby rather than a lifestyle... I'd never bash anyone for playing one system over another though, unless they play Nintendo systems... Nintendo gamers are trash...
"I'm not a racist... I'd never bash someone because of their race, unless they're black."

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yeah, just like me. I would never bash someone for playing a console. Do what makes you happy and what will give you the most enjoyment, unless they're PS3 or 360 or PC gamers, then they can eat a bag of dicks.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you pay yearly, you get the best value. I mean, it's only like 60 bucks a year, and sometimes you can find a discount. My friend had his for only 35 bucks a year for 3 years straight. I much prefer the online services that you get with it, such as the party system, two account online, etc. Those two things alone make me love xbox live more. Plus all my friends have it and we play online a lot. Well, we used to, but now I've gotten a full time job, idk how that situation is, but that's another story.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you pay yearly, you get the best value. I mean, it's only like 60 bucks a year, and sometimes you can find a discount. My friend had his for only 35 bucks a year for 3 years straight. I much prefer the online services that you get with it, such as the party system, two account online, etc. Those two things alone make me love xbox live more. Plus all my friends have it and we play online a lot. Well, we used to, but now I've gotten a full time job, idk how that situation is, but that's another story.

But that's the thing, all those features are just minimal and don't warrant $60 a year. Does it really take $60 to give you party chat? No. Is it fair that you have to pay for online on the Xbox in order to use online services that you already have such as Netflix? Absolutely not.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'm not a racist... I'd never bash someone because of their race, unless they're black."

comparing racism to having a taste in video games is just wrong. His opinion that nintendo games are trash is not equal to thinking that black people are trash.

But that's the thing, all those features are just minimal and don't warrant $60 a year. Does it really take $60 to give you party chat? No. Is it fair that you have to pay for online on the Xbox in order to use online services that you already have such as Netflix? Absolutely not.

It may not be worth it to you. That's fine. It's worth it to the millions on xbox though, who pay for it. What alternative means do you have to watch netflix on your TV? I personally would have to move my laptop near my tv, plug in the VCA cable (or whatever the pins cable is as my laptop does not have hdmi) every time, and that is a pain. I would never pay 60 bucks a year on top of the netflix subscription just for netflix though. It's the combination of all the services that makes it for me. Oh, and recovering your profile. I like that. I don't think that's available on psn, but I haven't really tried. Plus cloud storage is awesome.

EDIT: You can justify my pirating of the DS with the cost of xbox live. lmao

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I definitely agree with the last part. Outside services you already pay for like Netflix should be part of a silver account.
comparing racism to having a taste in video games is just wrong. His opinion that nintendo games are trash is not equal to thinking that black people are trash.
I was making an exaggerated example to prove a point about how silly his statement is. He said "I would never judge someone for what system they play on," and then proceeds to contradict himself by saying that he would judge someone for what system they play on. His opinion is his opinion, and he has every right to it, but claiming that he DOESN'T judge people based on a preference before proceeding to judge people based on a preference in the exact same post is just flat-out asinine.

Reactions: izzydeank

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He wasn't judging Nintendo games, he was judging people who play Nintendo games.

It may not be worth it to you. That's fine. It's worth it to the millions on xbox though, who pay for it. What alternative means do you have to watch netflix on your TV? I personally would have to move my laptop near my tv, plug in the VCA cable (or whatever the pins cable is as my laptop does not have hdmi) every time, and that is a pain. I would never pay 60 bucks a year on top of the netflix subscription just for netflix though. It's the combination of all the services that makes it for me. Oh, and recovering your profile. I like that. I don't think that's available on psn, but I haven't really tried. Plus cloud storage is awesome.

EDIT: You can justify my pirating of the DS with the cost of xbox live. lmao

Profile recovery is available on PSN, being able to sign multiple accounts in as well (me and my friend did it with Call of Duty), and Cloud Storage is also available on PSN.

And in this day and age, let's be honest, pretty much everything plays Netflix. iOS device, phones, consoles... anything really.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netflix on the 360 isn't even that great. Afaik, netflix on the PS3 actually works in 1080p. Not gonna lie, the PS3 beats the 360 when it comes to media hands down, but imo gaming will always be superior on the 360.

EDIT: Since we are entering that topic, the 360 is nothing to defend, it really is a scam. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games on it and I honestly don't mind paying the money for a yearly subscription of LIVE, but to pay $60 yearly and getting ads in your face? That's straight up robbery.

Same with Wii U, but I'm glad I have a PS3 and Wii U.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Profile recovery is available on PSN, being able to sign multiple accounts in as well (me and my friend did it with Call of Duty), and Cloud Storage is also available on PSN.

And in this day and age, let's be honest, pretty much everything plays Netflix. iOS device, phones, consoles... anything really.

To be fair cloud storage is only for PS+ subscribers.

Also almost everything "may play Netflix" but it's no excuse to have to pay to use it (outside of its own fees).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
He wasn't judging Nintendo games, he was judging people who play Nintendo games.

It's pretty easy to do on the big screen, too. Lots of HDTVs are starting to come with Netflix, Hulu, and even Youtube applications built in.

Also, personally, I can play those things on my big screen using a $3 HDMI-to-microUSB cord and a $25 bluetooth handheld keyboard/touchpad remote on my Android tablet. It's even loads better since it doesn't heat up my room to a billion degrees like my 360 phat, the remote is nicer, and the youtube app is more bugfree and feature-filled.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Other than my computer and xbox, nothing else plays netflix. Are you saying I should purchase another console to just watch netflix? Mulitple accounts and profile recovery were added recently-ish, like the past few years, right? Because the last time I checked (a few years ago) that wasn't possible.

Weren't you adamant against piracy, but you dislike xbox live services? That's kinda funny.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Other than my computer and xbox, nothing else plays netflix. Are you saying I should purchase another console to just watch netflix? Mulitple accounts and profile recovery were added recently-ish, like the past few years, right? Because the last time I checked (a few years ago) that wasn't possible.

Weren't you adamant against piracy, but you dislike xbox live services? That's kinda funny.

Xbox Live =/= Piracy. Two totally different things. What are you getting at?

And no, I'm not saying you should get a console. I'm saying Microsoft shouldn't be robbing people of services that they already pay for.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox Live =/= Piracy. Two totally different things. What are you getting at?

And no, I'm not saying you should get a console. I'm saying Microsoft shouldn't be robbing people of services that they already pay for.

I wasn't saying it was the same thing. It's just funny that you're against paying for xbox live, which is a paid service, just because there are other means around it that don't cost money.

Since when does being against piracy mean that you have to like every paid product and policy a company implements?

That's more than kinda funny. That's hilarious. :P

It's the choosing of where to draw a line. Clearly getting games for free is one thing, but getting a paid service totally crosses a line of 'too much'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: