Microsoft lifts Xbox Live Gold requirement for Netflix for three days

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jan 31, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    for three days only.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3...x-live-gold-requirement-for-netflixs-house-of

2. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Exactly why I don't have Xbox 360.

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    XBL:Gold is just looking more and more ridiculous these days.

GameWinner, nukeboy95 and chartube12 like this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Sorry I had to edit the title because it really got my hopes up then crushed them like high heels on my testicles.

This is why I switched to the PS3 master race.

5. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    For a second I thought we had hope of free multiplayer...then I took arrow to the wallet.

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It's not like Microsoft's servers are even involved in Netflix streaming, right?

I really don't see a reason to pay for Gold in this day and age, that colossus is on clay legs and still stands only because people still insist on paying for the service.

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States

...w...

...whyyy? i dont even

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  8. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That was the point.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Baby steps. Extremely tiny, minuscule baby steps.

nukeboy95 likes this.
  10. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    So wait wait wait a minute.

You are telling me. If i have a 360. And I have a microsoft account (but only silver because playing online is for sloppy milkshakes). But I also have a Netflix account, I can watch netflix ON MY 360, WITHOUT A GOLD ACCOUNT FOR 3 DAYS? FOP YES!

Ok wait what did I miss in there? Something about that doesnt sound right.

EZ-Megaman and nukeboy95 like this.
  11. Vinnymac

Member Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My friends and I enjoy Xbox Live very much actually. The voice chat system is wonderful, and we never have any issues with the quality of the service. I would like to see additions to it though. The fact is, we are paying money and the service should be getting better. I wish it had an actual competitor as far as price point and features. It is odd that after all these years I can only speak with 8 people at a time in a party, or only have 100 gamertags on my friends list. Their are many features I would see changed for gold members, hopefully we will see changes like these in the next edition of the Xbox.

The Netflix experience used to be unique on the Xbox, but now it is just like all the others, and it is buggy. I do not see how that feature is something they should be advertising for free for 3 days. It should honestly be free with Silver accounts, it isn't even a feature really when your gaming console competitors are offering it for free.

Gahars likes this.
  12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    You mean like PSN, offering pretty much the same service except for free (minus the cross-game chat, admittedly...) and free games monthly for your PS3 and PSVita, various discounts in the store and other bonuses (depending on region) if you opt for a Plus subscription?

C'mon.

At least with PlayStation Plus you actually get something in return for your money. XBox Live Gold just feels like a bottomless pit you toss dollars in with no hope for any return at all.

2ndApex, chartube12 and Sakitoshi like this.
  13. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    LMFAO! This is just shameful! 360 owners have to...

- Pay their ISP
    - Pay for Netflix
    - Pay Microsoft to use netflix on their console

Wii/PS3 users only have to

- Pay their ISP
    - Pay for Netflix

Um... yeaaaaahhhh. How sad.

nukeboy95 and jalaneme like this.
  14. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    You'd have to have a PS3 for that though (not that I'm complaining, I have PS+ and it's awesome). For people who only have an X360, it's either buying a Gold account, no online or buying an entirely new console. ...Although I'm not sure if that is what he was talking about.

15. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    If he meant "competition" in the sense of competing similar services then you have Live, PSN, WFC/Nintendo Network, Steam and whatnot... if in the sense of "competing services on the XBox" then no, there is no alternative, but why would there be? It's a Microsoft console, I don't think they'd let anyone develop a legit online app that bypasses Live. :P

16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Like quite honestly at this point in gaming if you buy a 360 and complain about Live then it's your own goddamn fault.

Years ago it was maybe acceptable because the PS3 was $600 and the Wii was, well, the Wii, so if you wanted a HD gaming console that wasn't fucking $600 you got a Xbox. Nowadays though there's the PS3 that's like $250-$300 (with games included and a much larger hard drive) or hell even the Wii U within $100-$150. And they both have competent free online play and let you use basic features you pay for like Netflix and Hulu Plus.

nukeboy95 and Foxi4 like this.
  17. Vinnymac

United States
    I myself am pro paying for a service. I don't want a free one. I was implying that I want another service that could meet with the price tag Xbox has set or less, and offer a comparable service. This breeds a different kind of competition. The business models payed vs free don't compete in the same fashion as payable services do. Nintendo and Sony both have free services, but I don't feel they meet the standards that Xbox Live has set. I am signed up to all 3 services, and I even use Steam, and I have to say Xbox Live and Steam are the best out of the 4. If Steam had a payable option I would buy it in an instant.

18. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Plain curiousity, because I happen to have used WFC, Live and PSN myself... which features, outside of Cross-Game Chat make PSN "worse" than Live in your opinion? Because quite honestly, I don't see a difference.

With the Wii it was relatively obvious - there was no clear infrastructure and no tags/ID's, but PSN and Live are highly comparable in terms of service.

19. Vinnymac

United States
    I am probably a bias when it comes to PSN, but I will explain my personal story on how PSN operated for myself. I am sure everyone has a unique experience with all services. I have had the system since it came out, and I wasn't really impressed with simple things to begin with. Account creation and updates were just two hurdles that seemed to take forever. Even the Wii had speedier account creation and updates imo. I am sure PSN has changed with time, as have all services, but originally downloading applications from PSN were a hassle, and once again took very long for me. When I use Xbox Live, I can download a 3 GB game, in about 15 minutes off of XBL. Back in the day I remember it took me around 2 hours to download a demo of MGS4. Tiny things like that just irked me the wrong way. Also the community was tiny, and still is in regards to the bubble I live in. None of my friends own or operate a Playstation 3 anymore. They either got a PC for gaming or an Xbox 360. This killed my interest a lot in the community. Having no one but strangers to play with, I became less interested in it as an online service. The updates aren't regulated in a kind fashion. Xbox has seasonal updates that aren't very spotty or inconvenient. I find I am constantly updating my PS3. I will admit that somethings done on the PS3 are even better than the Xbox. Many apps were first on the PS3, and worked wonderfully from the get go. I think sony has tried very hard to make the PS3 unique as far as online services go. But the experience I have had with online sessions, lag, lack of community, network difficulties, and clunky software has spoiled it for me.

20. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Yeah had a 360 and got tired of paying for a service I hardly used. At least with ps3 I don't feel like I have to get my money worth per month because of the free online.