Microsoft is increasing the price of the Xbox Series X|S in Japan

lolxbox.png

All across the industry, prices are rising. We've seen hardware prices go up, as the PlayStation 5 is more expensive than when it launched, and subscription prices hike up as well, following last month's announcement that Xbox Game Pass Ultimate would go from $16.99 to $19.99 a month. The latest price increase will be for the Xbox Series X|S, where the MSRP of the console will increase a fair bit, but only for customers in Japan. In a market that Microsoft has struggled to compete in, it'll be even harder to move Xbox units, as the Xbox Series X will go from 59,978 yen to 66,978 yen, the Xbox Series S (1TB) will go from 44,578 yen to 49,978 yen, and finally, the base model Xbox Series S will go from 37,978 yen to 44,578 yen.

Currently, the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S have combined to sell about 600,000 units total. While that number is staggeringly low, it is worth noting that it's an increase over the last generation, as Microsoft only ever sold about 100,000 Xbox One systems throughout that console's lifetime.

:arrow: Source

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is making me wonder what Microsoft would need to do to really court a wider audience. The Xbox One and Xbox Series X really haven't resonated the same way the 360 did.

I wonder if a copycat strategy would work, but a Microsoft Switch-like probably wouldn't be powerful enough to compete against a high-end Sony console. Both the Steam Deck and Switch have already built up reputations in the portable space. In the end, the exclusives would have to be the priority.

Despite all those acquisitions, I haven't seen results to justify Microsoft's strategy. From what I remember, Sony actually did a good job with the PS4 in terms of exclusives, but I'd need a progress report on the PS5. Nintendo has really delivered on exclusives to compensate for the completely-upended handheld market.

Reactions: Blythe93

Jaxom

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Considering the falling YEN's exchange rate, it makes sense to compensate the loss. It will make it more expensive for the Japanese customers, but Xbox will maintain the revenue per console sold (which is, I assume, not a big volume).
Dick move to customers who are already feeling the fall of their currency, understandable on the company's side.

Last edited by Jaxom,

SM9911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the way they treated Tango, and now this, I think they're just trying to make a self-fulfilling prophecy that 'consoles are dying' and 'exclusives don't work' or whatever, when as always, with their whole strategy since 2014 (arguably since the very start), they've just been shooting themselves in the foot over and over again. Maybe they'll be pushing the Fire TV Stick deal there more? Are those popular in Japan?

Rommstain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Wonder what Microsoft's numbers are in Japan, hardware and sub sale-wise...

Was it this year or last when Valve bragged that they were having 150% growth in Japan? Granted, their starting numbers before the Steam Deck were likely utterly miserable.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder what Microsoft's numbers are in Japan, hardware and sub sale-wise...

Was it this year or last when Valve bragged that they were having 150% growth in Japan? Granted, their starting numbers before the Steam Deck were likely utterly miserable.
Whoa, Valve and PC gaming must be breaking through. The funny thing is that Valve's IP's are dormant, but Steam has such an expansive library that the Steam Deck is carried by it. Microsoft could make a Steam Deck competitor and run Steam on it, but that wouldn't immediately win them marketshare.

It all makes my head hurt. Microsoft has made so many mistakes since the 360 that they're basically post-Genesis Sega. It started with the crazy DRM announcements for the Xbox One and, now, it's a lack of exclusives. Even the name "Series X/S" was a blunder. Seriously, even "Xbox Machine" would have been more distinct.

As a businessman, I don't understand how Microsoft could make so many obvious mistakes. Microsoft's that player in Mario Kart that drives backwards through the course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That Steam button feature is cool, doubles as a clothes iron.