Microsoft blocked PS3 Tales of Vesperia.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Microsoft paid Namco Bandai to keep Tales of Vesperia a Western Xbox 360 exclusive.

That's why the belated, expanded PlayStation 3 version never made it outside of Japan.

"Microsoft paid for the exclusivity the same way Sony paid for having Heavy Rain only on PS3," revealed Namco Bandai community manager Charlotte Toci in a Facebook post caught by RPG Site.

"It's just one way the business works, sadly.

"Those decisions are made really high up y'know, we do try and give them the max of fan feedback, but sometimes it's just out of our hands."

Tales of Vesperia, an overlooked JRPG, comes thoroughly recommended by Eurogamer.

"Namco is to be applauded for updating the series with no small amount of consideration and flair, an effort that has resulted in the strongest entry to the aging series yet, and one which makes up for its lack of polish with an abundance of detail, character and, dare I say it, soul," wrote Simon Parkin in Eurogamer's Tales of Vesperia review.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

I searched, surprised it wasn't posted unless the search function is messing with me.
Microsoft is really low, not only did they pay to keep it on the 360, it also fucking hard to find unless you're willing to pay a stupid amount.
I know MS didn't publish it but if you're going to be like this, at least make it accessible.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean they probably did it to try and make the Xbox somewhat popular in Japan. It's not like it helped (the Xbox 360 just reached 1.5 million sales in Japan), but that's probably what they were thinking.

Not that it's right at all, there's a reason the Xbox 360 is failing really badly in Japan, and flashing a Tales game would never just revive it.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Guild McCommunist said:
I mean they probably did it to try and make the Xbox somewhat popular in Japan. It's not like it helped (the Xbox 360 just reached 1.5 million sales in Japan), but that's probably what they were thinking.

Not that it's right at all, there's a reason the Xbox 360 is failing really badly in Japan, and flashing a Tales game would never just revive it.
They released a PS3 version in Japan (probably in high demand as well) but MS paid to keep it in Japan only.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
They released a PS3 version in Japan (probably in high demand as well) but MS paid to keep it in Japan only.

Oh, then that's just straight-up retarded. It's not like Tales games are even that popular outside of Japan, they weren't gonna be making huge sales on the Xbox if it was kept exclusive. And yeah, it is still quite pricey. I mean here it's like $30 for a used copy (while other games that old sell for like $10).

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
The Tales series is quite popular in Japan, I believe. Though it still doesn't make any sense for exclusivity rights for western regions.
I don't mind, since I have the PS3 version anyway

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
KirbyBoy said:
Wait, they wanted released the Ps3 version of it in japan, but not here?

That is really retarded,
No? MS didn't pay to keep the Japan release of Vesperia on the 360.
This is how it went.

Bamco releases Vesperia in Japan (360), later then released it in the West where then MS paid them to keep it a 360 only game (see the boxart of the western release? (Only on Xbox)). Bamco later releases a PS3 version in Japan where MS hasn't got any control over, Bamco state they can't release over in the West.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
KirbyBoy said:
Wait, they wanted released the Ps3 version of it in japan, but not here?

That is really retarded,
No? MS didn't pay to keep the Japan release of Vesperia on the 360.
This is how it went.

Bamco releases Vesperia in Japan (360), later then released it in the West where then MS paid them to keep it a 360 only game (see the boxart of the western release? (Only on Xbox)). Bamco later releases a PS3 version in Japan where MS hasn't got any control over, Bamco state they can't release over in the West.
Oh, alright, sorry. I just woke up and I'm still half asleep, so sorry if I misunderstood.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried to find it soon after it was released. When I asked a clerk in Gamestation he said I'd be lucky to find one. They didn't get many copies in and they got snapped up quick.
The game is rare for such a recent release. Sucks too, I'd quite like to play it.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Tried to find it soon after it was released. When I asked a clerk in Gamestation he said I'd be lucky to find one. They didn't get many copies in and they got snapped up quick.
The game is rare for such a recent release. Sucks too, I'd quite like to play it.
I've never had a problem finding it, and the price wasn't even that bad, I found one at gamestop for 34 dollars, and it was stocked in 3 stores.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's all well and good to blame MS, but do you think Namco Bandai was forced into taking their money? Why couldn't they have just said no and put their game out on whatever system wherever they liked?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tueidj said:
It's all well and good to blame MS, but do you think Namco Bandai was forced into taking their money? Why couldn't they have just said no and put their game out on whatever system wherever they liked?

I believe it was actually a good deal for Namco Bandai. Who knows if they would have made more money from a PS3 Vesperia in the states than with the deal.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
I believe it was actually a good deal for Namco Bandai. Who knows if they would have made more money from a PS3 Vesperia in the states than with the deal.
True, which I believe proves my point; they cared more about "doing business" (i.e. getting money) than getting the game out to the fans, which is the same thing people in this thread are blaming MS for.

silly_z45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think it was a smart move from microsoft, i would stereotype jrpg lovers as ps3 owners so keeping this exclusive might have made one or two sales on xboxs.

im frustrated at bamco but eh can't blame em.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny