Hacking MicroSD Speed

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
i heard the same to with the new firmware upgrades even slow cards run perfect, but i dont know guess i'll find out next week when i hopefully get my SCL (i ordered a slow microSD i'll post impressions if theres any slowdown the any of the mentioned games like CV and TH).

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That microSD is the standard 12X (1.8MB/sec). I suggest getting the SanDisk Ultra II 60X (9MB/sec) 1GB as it will run smoother with the SuperCard Lite.

FifthE1ement

gokong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not really slow at all.. get wat you can afford.. if you don't have the extra 10-20 dollars to spend for ultraII, get the regular 12x cuz majority of nds games should still run great on the scl.

o yea and the 12x vs. 60x thing.. that not really a big deal, you should look at access time not read/write speed.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
That 12x vanilla sandisk should have like no difference to an ultra II when you compare them after the castlevania test. The access time difference is 0.1ms, which is nothing. Probably the only difference is the fact that moving files to the card is a lot slower with the vanilla version.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
http://anitec.ca/product/6332/kingston_minisd_card_1024mb/

Does anyone know the speed on that? I'm currently using it in my EZ4 and it's quite good for what you paid for.

P.S. Vanilla Sandisk? What's that

http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/popparts.htm?part=MSD1000K Kingston 1GB standard miniSD (not fast)

recommend this as an alternative .. http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/popparts.htm?part=MSD1000D (lightning access times)

oh yeh.. vanilla= phrase for 'standard', as in it being the standard ice cream flavour
smile.gif

edit.. note that tests have been done with the EZ4 and speeds of the card will not help as the EZ4 seems to be a bigger bottleneck than the mem cards, hopefully Ez will bring firmware out which removes this bottleneck soon.

Cygoku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's this debate on all msgbrd.

Using the 12x or 60x MicroSD on the SCL is the same speed in therms of gaming.

The only difference is file transfert under Windows.

Easy no? I don't know why people are still talking about that. Oh right, because they didn't used the search button!

Cygoku

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I bought two of the 1GB Sandisk Ultra II for my Supercard Lite. I then recently wennt over to my local Verizon center and bought 1 standard 2GB Sandisk card. So far I have not seen any perrformance slowing between the two different card. Castlevania intro runs the same way on both... smooth. Metroid Prime Pinball has no slowdown at all. The only difference between the standard and ultra is when you are transfering the files from your PC to your card. I don't know about most people... I can afford the time to wait to get the benefits of having a 2GB card versus a 1GB card. It isn't a big deal to me.

Phoenix33

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you need to campare the read-speed!
this is nearly the same for both cards!
sandisk microsd 1GB: read: 9,7 MB/sec; write: 4MB/sec. (tested by a german computer magazine);
sandisk ultra II 1GB: read: 10MB /sec; write: 9MB/sec (sandisk homepage).

morita-san

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys not meaning to hijack the thread but i just bought a 2nd hand microSd card and want to test wether its fake or not.....how do i do that??

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if it's anything like a memory stick, easiest way is size allocation. Ask these guys how much free memory is available on a freshly formatted microsd and then compare it to yours. I would let you know but I'll be a newcomer to the supercard lite and the microsd world. Seems like a fun place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1