Hacking microSD Adapter that came with the M3/R4DS....

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I plugged it in.....blue light came on... the copmuter recognize the harddrive, next thing I know, the device disconnects, I look down and the light is off, reached down to unplug the device and replug it in.....OW O.o...hot?.....wat the heck? promptly took my microsd card out and it was heated up a bit
frown.gif
but its fine...the microsd adapter however I don't dare put back in, the plastic right above the ic chip is melted out of shape >

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's best to buy one in the shop I guess, I read some more people had problems with it all together.
I bought a Sandisk Mobile Reader, didn't cost me much and it covers alot of other memory cards.

Fortunately it didn't fry your MicroSD.

Q~

D

Deleted User

Sounds like a sloppy solder job. I don't know if you can take the reader apart but a quick inspection of the connections should show an untidy solder. If not chuck it out.

ianf1979

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive just picked up 2 R4's from the post office. from mr modchips and cheapmod

the package from mr modchips is like the first one i ordered.. the same as the pictures in the review.

the package from cheapmod.net is different. same style box (just looks better quality) the R4 looks the same. but the little plastic holder is different, ( better imho) it opens easier and has a wrist strap type holder instead of a keyring.

but my point really is that the usb reader is different.... shorter in a black casing. looks more robust,. its not spring loaded though..

so does this mean there are two different supplies out there??

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Mine is blue with a green light. Build quality seems pretty poor, tf card fits in snugly but sort of grinds as it goes in and out. Not spring loaded.
But it does have one excellent feature, which is that it actually works
wink.gif

neekstan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got mine from Cheapmod and mine is identical to the one on the left (Like you got from Mr Modchips). Cheapmod are on their second batch of R4's though now so looks like there's been a few minor changes.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

one on the left is the one from mr modchips the one the right is cheapmod.net

I got the card reader that is on the left in that picture. I've used it a good bit over 30 times by now and it doesn't get warm (just very little) to risk getting overheated.

Appearantly there is a second / third product package batches circulating around with fixed usb readers and "updates".
I got mine from winsunx.

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yea I have the one on the left O.o

I was going to post pictures but then its kinda hard to show the melted plastic ~ maybe later tonight....

Luckily it didn't damage my microsd card or else I would be pissed off!

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I opened up my MicroSD reader that came with my R4 and took some l33t pics with my 10m cam
biggrin.gif
. Maybe someone with a 'faulty' one can compare the manufacturing numbers to see if it's a matter of 'bad luck' or if there really is a bunch of faulty ones floating around.

usbreaderfronthj5.jpg
usbreaderbackni1.jpg

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got mine from mod-chips, and it came with the blue one, and it looks solid enough.

Interestingly though, it came with 1.05 eng firmware =0 which was weird cos the product was shipped out about 2-3 days after the eng firmware was released on r4ds.net/com

ianf1979

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
very 1337 killermech.
smile.gif

i opened up the r4's and there is no difference in the pcbs and chips. so mabey they just realised the usb card readers were crap. and the cart holder took the grip of geoff capes (one for the older members!!!) to open

nonopeno

Trophies
XP
Country
I picked mine up from Hong Kong, (from the official retailer of R4), and I got the key ring (left) + card reader on the right.

seems they got a couple variations out there

fryguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hehe my computer BSOD'ed when i connected the memorycard reader bundled with M3 Simply. Didn't happen the second time i tried it though. Think it was because it wanted to use L: as my external harddrive already used.

Dazimus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got the blue one from Cheapmod.net too and have had problems with mine. It'll take at least 5-10 mins while Windows recognises it, then decides it doesnt and it disappears, then appears back. Then it's a race to put roms on before Windows decides it's not there anymore and I get an error.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the one on the right
smile.gif
, only used it once , but was plugged in for around 15min while I decided what to stick on the card and it was fine , not warm or anything
smile.gif

Got mine from cheapmod.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
guys, if you have problems with yout microsd reader... it's best to buy a new one.

these things are DIRT cheap, and you shouldn't risk frying your MicroSD or maybe even short circuiting your motherboard's usb port for a 2$ card reader.

lol @ race to put roms

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well it uses usb 2.0. If they really wanted to be cheap, they could've included one that uses usb 1.0. I wouldn't mind buying a new card reader that uses usb2.0 if mine dies. But unfortunely most of them are more expensive than the R4 here in sweden.. so the included microSD reader is a very nice accessory.. assuming you get a proper one lol.

ravishing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have the reader on the left and a wrist strap..i've had it plugged in since i got it 20 mins ago and it's not hot and and it still recognizes the drive. *crosses fingers*

Darsint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my R4 today from Modchipstore.com. I also got the blue adapter, and it blew out seconds after plugging it in. Fortunately I have a Sandisk Cruzer I can use with the SD adapter that came with my Kingston micro, and it works great. It's kind of annoying to have to go through the extra steps though.

Anyone have a link to a decent little micro reader? I looked on Newegg but couldn't find any that didn't require an SD adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey