Hacking Micro SD isn't flush these days...

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I was an early CycloDS adopter. Early adopters tend to get shafted, but the thing has had completely reliable support, a stream of new features, and excellent developers since I got it. A lot of homebrew and
moogle.gif
have made it irreplaceable. Me and my R4 had a falling out, and the CycloDS Evolution had me on the rebound like a desperate chick who just got dumped. I even got the black color cartridge!

Every once and a while, the CycloDS Evolution does not show up on the main menu. Removing and reinserting the Micro SD card seems to remedy this.

Anyway, it has been developing two problems over its lifespan, which may be related. The first I notices was that the Micro SD card originally fit totally flush in the slot like it used to. It has gradually become less and less flush, seeming to emerge a bit more from the slot as time goes on. It now sticks out 1-2mm. Not much, but a noticeable difference when it was 0 at first. This is true for any microSD card as well.

Having the SD card not flush increases the likelihood I'll brush it with my finger orr tap it when I set it down. Tapping or touching the SD card, even very lightly, will often (but not always) crash a game, or crash it when the game next tries to access some data. (like leaving a room... finishing a puzzle in picross...)

Is the problem just dust in the micro SD card slot? Is it something more similar like metal bending or the chip getting pushed down in the plastic? Can I remedy or cheaply replace it? Should I try contacting RealHotStuff whom I bought it from, the cyclods team, or ..?

Help me GBAtemp, please! These small problems are just getting worse and more common over time, and it would be nice not to have them when I study abroad in a few months.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well, contacting Team Cyclops is probably out of the question since they have said that they will not handle replacements, but let the retailers handle it themselves. You'd have better luck contacting RHS, but I very much doubt they will do replacements unless your unit was dead on arrival. Contact them anyway and see if maybe you can convince them that the problem with your Cyclo is due to poor build and not wear and tear and maybe they will offer a replacement.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you take out the MicroSD often?
There could be dust or other foreign material that's built up inside the slot, causing poor connection. The Cyclo is not spring-loaded so I don't think there could be anything else blocking the slot.
Unfortunately, I highly doubt that you can get a refund or a replacement since the Cyclo was fine when you bought it. However, you could try opening it up and possibly cleaning out the slot with a very thin paper clip.

And another thing, you mentioned you have an early version of the Cyclo. Many of those had problems with connecting to the DS (rather than MicroSD). The trick to fixing that was to tape a pice of paper over the CycloDS sticker, making the Cyclo fatter than normal, and therefore providing much better connectivity. So if your problem isn't the MicroSD like you suspect, then try this out.

Best of luck.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Do you take out the MicroSD often?
There could be dust or other foreign material that's built up inside the slot, causing poor connection. The Cyclo is not spring-loaded so I don't think there could be anything else blocking the slot.
Unfortunately, I highly doubt that you can get a refund or a replacement since the Cyclo was fine when you bought it. However, you could try opening it up and possibly cleaning out the slot with a very thin paper clip.

And another thing, you mentioned you have an early version of the Cyclo. Many of those had problems with connecting to the DS (rather than MicroSD). The trick to fixing that was to tape a pice of paper over the CycloDS sticker, making the Cyclo fatter than normal, and therefore providing much better connectivity. So if your problem isn't the MicroSD like you suspect, then try this out.

Best of luck.

Thanks, it must be one of these two.

I will try the tape, even if it's a bit superstitious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.