Homebrew mGBA official standalone Wii port

EuroMIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know.
I've found a forwarder linked in this thread, so I'll give it a try.

Unfortunately said forwarder doesn't work like the ones I have for my other emulators do and gives me an "SD not initialized" error, and since I'm partly setting this up for less tech-savvy friends where forwarders would make using this stuff much easier, if I can't find a solution by tomorrow (when the Wii is being returned) then it's back to VBA GX for now. It may not emulate as well, but the setup works and is much easier to configure.

Last edited by EuroMIX,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi!

Endrift has updated mGBA to 0.6.3, with numerous fixes, some on a general level, while others are specially for the Wii.

You can get it here:
https://mgba.io/2018/04/14/mgba-0.6.3/

Here's the changelog for 0.6.2, which was short-lived as it introduced a few bugs fixed on 0.6.3:
https://mgba.io/2018/04/03/mgba-0.6.2/

I haven't tried it yet, I'll do it whenever is possible, but it's great to see it keep evolving and getting better, and the Wii version still being supported!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
By the way, I tried a bit the official release of 0.6.3, and one difference with previous versions on Wii is that for some reason when I boot it, my TV loses the Wii's video signal for a while (around 10 seconds) as it seems to try to change into another resolution, and then comes back. Didn't happen with 0.6.1 or earlier.

I already pointed it in mGBA's forum, but I'm glad to say that if you download the latest nightly it has been improved. With the nightly, it still seems to force a change in resolution or something, but it's much quicker.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My screen is slightly off center to the left due to my crt. Can I edit config.INI to move the screen a little to the right?
Hope this helps out someone. I have made a mGBA Wii & vWii channel. Tested the vWii channel & works well. Nothing fancy, just the basic stuff.

Attachments

• MGBA 0.6.3.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 239
Reactions: niuus and Tarmfot

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forwarder or channel? I ask cause the latest nightly version of mgba Wii is like 0.7.5 which is I! using
It is a normal channel. I've never used the nightly builds, is there a significant advantage? if there is, simple as replacing the .dol file which i could do if you are interested.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the delay. ok this is the latest for Wii & vWii. again it is a normal channel, not a forwarder channel. i'll update again when a new stable version is released.

Attachments

• mGBA - latest.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 171

ENunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for bump, but does anyone know how to get a 3:2 aspect ratio in 240p? The image is way too fat with my current settings.

Attachments

• amarec(20181013-135933).PNG
    amarec(20181013-135933).PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 135
D

Deleted User

Apologies for bump, but does anyone know how to get a 3:2 aspect ratio in 240p? The image is way too fat with my current settings.
You could go over to mgba.io and ask endrift, should you not get an answer here.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
mGBA stable 0.7.0 has been released. Thanks to endrift for this great emulator. Improved features, plenty of bugfixes & a huge list of miscellaneous improvements. I have updated my channel & included vWii channel as well if wanted for download.

Was the planed UI revamp ever implemented? I heard the dev was planing to release it wit 0.7.0 some years ago.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
endrift has released an update of mGBA to 0.7.1. Go to https://mgba.io/ for the full changelog.
Above are my updated Wii/vWii channels for download if you wish. I've tested the updated emulator
for an hour or so & i can say, it is nearly perfect as far as i can tell.
I don't think we will see much more improvement, if any at all on the Wii front.
A GUI would be icing in the cake, but i'm not counting on it & it's really not necessary.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,
Reactions: Deleted User

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
endrift has released an update of mGBA to 0.7.1. Go to https://mgba.io/ for the full changelog.
Above are my updated Wii/vWii channels for download if you wish. I've tested the updated emulator
for an hour or so & i can say, it is nearly perfect as far as i can tell.
I don't think we will see much more improvement, if any at all on the Wii front.
A GUI would be icing in the cake, but i'm not counting on it & it's really not necessary.
I haven't used mGBA for almost 2 years, i'm curious if all the accuracy improvements have degraded speed somehow on the Wii, have you noticed anything on heavy games? I think it was full speed all the time, as far as i can remember, which was pretty impressive at the time since many said it could never be done.

Last edited by niuus,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will test some of the GBA heavy games & report back. I have ran into at least 1 Classic GB game "Asteroids & Missile Command Arcade Classics" that did not load where it loaded in VBAGX and Gambatte. Speed wise, I havn't noticed any drop in performance at this point.

Reactions: rogerioronin
D

Deleted User

I haven't used mGBA for almost 2 years, i'm curious if all the accuracy improvements have degraded speed somehow on the Wii, have you noticed anything on heavy games? I think it was full speed all the time, as far as i can remember, which was pretty impressive at the time since many said it could never be done.
I played DKC 3 with mgba Version 0.7.0 the other day. The game runs very smooth with no framedrops.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@niuus I don't know if you refer by "heavy" to games that take a large amount of space or heavy as in technically complex.

I booted up Mother 3, which has a size of 32MB (the biggest size on GBA I think) and it seems to work well, frame rate is stable, I started a new file and played for around 25 minutes, in and outside of battles everything seemed fine.

Ninja Five-O, Donkey Kong: King of Swing, the Castlevania games, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Konami Krazy Racers (this one had issues in the past, but now seems to work well!), the Mario Advance games (Even Yoshi's Island works full speed, at least what I tried!) and a few others I've tested and worked great. Rayman Advance was another one with issues, but in the quick check I did earlier it seemed to work fine too (although I'd recommend play other version of it, personally).

Now, the video options seem to have changed with the jump to 0.7, and I have to find a setup that I like, but I really have only good things to say about mGBA on Wii. Not everything is perfect, and issues pop up here and there as the github page shows, but not only is an emulator constantly being developed, it's not even a 1.0 release still and it works like a charm.

The GB side works than before too, sound has been improved and it's quite nicer!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work