• Poll closed .

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Pushed the updated Build. It has some issues but is fully playable.
Changes and Info can be found in the Original Post!
Thanks for the new build!

I already gave it a try and here are my thoughts and feedback about it:
  • The jumping sprites for Samus seem to be somewhat slow to me, at least compared to the other 2D jumping animations.
    I suggest speeding up the jumping animation (or the sprite transition).
  • Jump-turning mechanic is working okay. However, when you jump straight up you cannot turn, which makes the straight jump extremely stiff .
    This also takes effect when you are going down the vertical shaft up to the first Metroid area. You are locked into a completely vertical drop without the ability to move a little bit to grab a ledge.
  • The Charge beam starts building up right when you press the shoot button. This means that the Charge button tries to charge when you want to shoot a single little beam. I suggest adding some sort of countdown so that the charge beam starts at like a second after you leave the shoot button pressed and not instantly.
  • An option to also change the jumping button.It's a nice addition to have the Shooting button remap, I'd love to see the same for the jump button.
    I always try to map button Y to shoot and button B to jump for comfortability sake.
  • I don't know if you want to consider this for later down the road, but adding a setting for BGM and SFX volume would be nice too. The BGM is too cool to have it at such low volume. :P
  • You cannot seem to be able to shoot up while simply pressing up standing still. I know you can aim the shot with the L button, but having the option to do so with the directional input would be nice too.
I think those are the most notable things so far from my side.
I wanted to mention the low jump height too but I think that's intentional, IIRC Metroid II has a Hi-Jump later on the game, so that's okay for now. :P

That's everything for now, I'll let you know if I see something else worth noting. :)

Thanks for this amazing demo!

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: Deleted User

jbr373

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just uploaded the source, since I'm unable to work on this any further due to time constraints. I would also like to thank ShadowOne333 again for providing me with the new Sounds found in the latest build!
I'm very sorry and hope that someone finds this source (which is not optimal, it's quite dirty currently) useful.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just uploaded the source, since I'm unable to work on this any further due to time constraints. I would also like to thank ShadowOne333 again for providing me with the new Sounds found in the latest build!
I'm very sorry and hope that someone finds this source (which is not optimal, it's quite dirty currently) useful.
No need to thank!
It's otherwise, thank YOU for providing the source code for this project.
Sad that you can't work on it anymore, but hopefully someone else will hop into this and continue where you left off. :)

Also, I just want to clarify that I provided the tracks, not made them.
The only one I made was the Samus Fanfare from Metroid II, that's all on me.
The rest are as follows:
  • [38] Total Extermination _ Metroid Queen (Metroid II)
  • Metroid II Queen Remix 2.0
  • Metroid II_ Return Of Samus Music - Metroid Nest (Remastered)
  • OCR00450_ Metroid II 'Metroid Sonata - Movement II' OC ReMix [Title]
  • OCR01291_ Metroid II Anthem of a Metroid Hunter OC ReMix [Ending, Escape]
  • Surface Runner (Metroid II)
Note: You can actually enter a search in YouTube for those titles and you'll encounter the original creator for the tracks.

If anyone decides to continue, that's some source for music which I think are pretty faithful remakes of the original tracks and seem fitting with the overall feel of the game.
That's all. :P

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: SLiV3R

Sun_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Undertale remake was as dedicated as you, I feel that it would be alot better than a singular screen. Thank you for working on this port/tech demo of Metroid 2. I wish you luck on this and future projects to come!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So is there a github page for this project id really love to see this finished
The source code is in a .rar file in the OP.
If someone wants to continue this project, I would suggest opening up a GitHub page for it.

I'd so myself but since I am not a programmer I won't be pushing new changes other than pull requests made by others.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The source code is in a .rar file in the OP.
If someone wants to continue this project, I would suggest opening up a GitHub page for it.

I'd so myself but since I am not a programmer I won't be pushing new changes other than pull requests made by others.
im no programmer either but if this does get a github page i want to keep an eye on it and star it.

jbr373

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This was basically a Tech Demo.
You can control Samus into the first 6 or so rooms of the game with some enemy coding made.
Sprites, tiles and other assets are there already.

The latest build actually contained the whole first phase (Overworld and the areas for the first Metroid).

Also, I'd like to share some info. Like I said, the included tools are OS X executables for Terminal. If you want to create Room Collision (.col), simply create an Image with the Room Collision - Pixels with RGBA(0,0,0,0) will indicate no collision, everything else will be interpreted as collision. You can create quite different collisions for Rooms (Slopes with different angles and length is an example). Collision is not tied to the Tileset.

There is also quite a strange Memory Issue with loading Images / Sound. Whats wierd about it is the fact that it only happens when loading Gameplay after selecting New / Continue from the Menu. After that everything loads fine. Maybe it's a decompression bomb type of issue, libpng does throw "Out of Memory" Errors.

This Source uses assets from the latest released 3DS Game Folder, you can simply reuse these. Also, Tilesets need to be 1024x1024 and each Tile has a size of 128x128.

The Enemy AI can be added by creating a new .cpp file and adding a struct which inherits from the EnemyAI Class. It's all handled by giving the new AI an ID and adding said ID to the .m2e file (Those files contain enemy infos).
Also, Physics and collision code is implemented quite stupidly. There are a lot of comments in the code to help show what I did, however.
Also, you can enable and Minimap auto-follow with simple code changes. 3D has the issue that I moved the images wrong. Auto-follow for the Minimap calculated coordinates for the bottom screen the wrong way.

I really hope that some (or all) of the code will prove useful for people creating their games for the 3DS, and thanks again for all the support for this project!

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Too bad this is dead, I really liked it I hope someone will take back the work to where it was to make further advancement, the 3DS scene needs good homebrews like this...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Last job Ancient went to, he got fired for drinking on the job. +1