Metal Gear Online comes to PC through fanmade MGO2PC

metal-gear-online-1419232505.jpg

The online component of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, unofficially referred to as Metal Gear Online 2, has been supported by fans longer than it's been supported officially by Konami. Released in 2008, Konami shut down the servers for MGS4 in 2012, which led to the formation of the SaveMGO group. In 2014, SaveMGO found a way for modded Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 consoles to access servers hosted by fans to play Metal Gear Online 1 and 2 (MGO1 being the online component of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence).

Now, a new fan project is bringing Metal Gear Online 2 to PC. Through a custom build of popular PS3 emulator RPCS3, fans can connect to fan-hosted servers and play the game with all original content included from the original release. According to a comment from their official YouTube account, this custom build also makes it easier to play the single player portion of MGS4 on RPCS3, though it's not perfect yet. "Single player does work but on your first play through you'll need to do a lot of compiling shaders. After you've done a full playthrough your next playthrough will go much smoother. But yes single player does work."

You can head over to the official MGO2PC website for installation guides, an FAQ and a link to their official Discord server.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Every time I get to Shadow Moses playing 4 I think how could it will be to have a MGS1 remake
It's a clear love letter to MGS1, with the main cast coming back (most were absent in MGS2) and having proper models of each rather than seeing them in 2D via the codec, as well as constant references to the Shadow Moses events. I also think they could have easily ended the series then. But I wish we'd get some game covering the time between MG2 and MGS4 since Solid Snake is my fave of the Snakes :'(

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"Single player does work but on your first play through you'll need to do a lot of compiling shaders. After you've done a full playthrough your next playthrough will go much smoother. But yes single player does work."​
Well, duh.

isn't the ps3 stupidly easy to mod?
I have flashed mine years back, but I heard those HEN softwares are used mainly now and should work on latest FW, though I am out of the loop in this scene for ages..

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Many years ago I went through the delicate and painstaking effort of hard-modding my PS3 just so that I could play MGO2 again after Konami shut it down. I never went through the trouble of doing anything else on it, not emulation, not even themes. All I ever did with it was play MGO2, and it was worth it even though that game killed my DS3s with how it made you violently rotate the analog sticks to wake up after being knocked out.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, duh.

I have flashed mine years back, but I heard those HEN softwares are used mainly now and should work on latest FW, though I am out of the loop in this scene for ages..
you can also use the exploit to flash cfw directly from ofw current (and only cfw for 4.88) is 4.88 evilNat you don't even need to sign in to psn to activate your profile anymore

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a clear love letter to MGS1, with the main cast coming back (most were absent in MGS2) and having proper models of each rather than seeing them in 2D via the codec, as well as constant references to the Shadow Moses events. I also think they could have easily ended the series then. But I wish we'd get some game covering the time between MG2 and MGS4 since Solid Snake is my fave of the Snakes :'(
Well put and yeah Solid is my favorite too. Maybe one day Kojima will abandon Blue Box and reconciliate with Konami, then will see a metal gear covering that era which will be more awesome than metal gear survive lol jk

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Modded consoles only? Oh, darn. :blink:
Just mod it it's easy and you can disable the mod anytime u want and you won't be banned or anything

Reactions: Prans

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X