Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Title

it's totally ok to ask questions. it's also ok to not immediately know how to access some of the information here. But its not ok that there is a thread made that asks the same questions that everybody else has asked and been answered.

There is a stickied post here to ask all of your questions and possibly find some answers: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/

The amount of clutter and redundant posts is obscene dude. If the mods were to direct people to the sticky above that would for sure make everything a lot better here. If you guys have done that already or have been, my b.

So before you post an entire fkn thread, use THE SEARCH BAR or click on the stickied post above and ask your question there. Its why that post was made/stickied in the first place /:
Uh... Some newbie is just gonna come in here, tell us how trashy our forums are, and be condescending about it? Who the fuck does he think he is?

That's like your new neighbor coming over to your house, telling you your house is filthy, and saying it in a condescending tone. KICK ROCKS OP!!!

normal19

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Uh... Some newbie is just gonna come in here, tell us how trashy our forums are, and be condescending about it? Who the fuck does he think he is?

That's like your new neighbor coming over to your house, telling you your house is filthy, and saying it in a condescending tone. KICK ROCKS OP!!!
If a new person comes into this forum looking for releases and help and has a hard time finding it because its cluttered with other people asking redundant questoins they have the right to say something about it.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's a good idea to add 'Stickied Content' above the 'Recent content' on the homepage in the upper right corner, where it will contain the Wii, 3DS, Wii U Switch noob paradise, hacking status topics.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It happened again. While we are having this discussion.

I don't so much want to flag the thread, as the user had a "wonderful" support experience already - so deleting it will not change anything.

I'd rather have it stay on the front page in addition to this discussion, to heighten the visibility - that the "flag it and we will delete it" approach moderators are suggesting, does not work to counteract this kind of abusive behavior.

Mods have to come up with something better. (And I hope that they do.)

edit: Link for reference:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-updates-through-reswitched-or-switchbru.502763/

Last edited by notimp,

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, if people aren't going to bother to read the stickies or do a search then they're probably not going to bother to look at this thread or any other made on this topic.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This is an issue that's as old as the forum itself. Noobs, no matter what, will always be noobs. They will join the forum, they will look around for 0.05 seconds, and then they will proceed to post a question that "totally hasn't been asked yet", but has been asked about a trillion times. You could put up neon signs, and they still would do the same. The best way to handle these kinds of things is, if you see a thread and it has a question that's been asked, you can answer it, or link them to a thread that's relevant for their issue, and then report the first post as a duplicate thread.

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Hell's point is that this forum is gigantic, and no one, moderator or otherwise, has the time to sit here and read/police the entire forum 24/7. That's simply not realistic.

And yes, from experience, people cannot/choose not to read. You can sit here and put a thread stickied in the normal section with caps, giant rainbow flashing characters, and ask people to read it in their posts before they type it, and they still won't read it. If someone asking a question that's already been asked really bothers you so much, perhaps you should take a break. Simply:

A) Flag the thread and move on
B) Ignore it on and move on
C) Kindly inform them it's a copy thread and link them to the original

Remember the golden rule - If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all :)

Reactions: Issac

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference between moderators that actually do their job proactively (reading out of their own volition what is going on in their communities), and ones who don't - is the difference between moderators that know whats going on in their communities, and those who dont.

Only having a "view" of proceedings from whatever gets flagged doesn't allow you to judge the bigger picture.

This is really a question about what gbatemps approach to community is.

"As a moderator you have no reason to participate, or be shown in your community" - unless something happened, declines the part where you would be needed as a rolemodel, and to enforce the rules on the ground, the part where people have actual confidence in your decisions, because they perceive you as part of the community, and not just an entity that gets called into action whenever something happens that touches on this forum terms of use.

To put it simpler - if your moderators are not willing to participate in this community to actually see whats going on in here, day in and day out - maybe try to elect someone in here who might be willing to do that. Sort of a govern your community from within, and not from the capital 500 miles away - approach. (Also, I'm out of the run, obviously - )

"Its always like that", and "If you dont like it, scram!", are the denialist approaches.

We've now shown you two examples of mirror threads, just put up to abuse peoples ability to help - solely serving the needs of the person, who didn't want to read this forum in the first place, going up in two days - and none of those for has been taken down - visibly - so that there would be a chance of a learning effect.

You can do all kinds of things - make a sticky that tells people that their threads will be deleted, if they are asking questions that have been asked and answered in here before, in the same week - although thats maybe the least viable approach.

You can lead through actions, and take them down - but you have to become a part of this community in a sense, you need to be visible in the daily proceedings - explaining your actions, and to be able to act before people are soliciting their "personal" answers, and then leaving to never be seen again.

You can split this forum into a "news and projects" section and in a "help me, I want - free for all" and then enforce it. That way you would get visibility without having to increase your moderation efforts.

Or you can do nothing, and let this prolong - vowing, that you might take action, if we use the reporting system - which will work with the same efficiancy as a DMCA takedown notice on the part of a file hoster.

Telling people in here, that you would take down duplicate threads, has to be followed up with timely action - otherwise it has no effect. The people creating the problem have no interest in participating in this community - they are interested in results, and as long as someone still talks to them and angrily tells them an answer - hoping that more people will read it, thereby reducing the need of him/her giving that answer again - the support abuser wins.

And not in a win-win kind of way.

We understand, that this is a conflict of interest, where even some of your paid supporters might be primarily in this to get their support requests filled - but the alternative of "just don't participate" until more people are unintersted in the platform, is no working alternative. We can encourage developers to only release their stuff on twitter, because this community has become a hinderance for people that wan't to follow developments in the scene, rather than "being filled in by someone", but thats also a rather lackluster approach.

Please - in some form - protect our interests, as people who would actually want to read about developments, every day (repeat visitors) as well.

The way this subforum functions currently is not sustainable, people get burned out left an right. Conflict, because of that mismatch is a daily occurance.

And we have not even started to get into the main release phase of hacks that will have a wider usability. We had a taste of that, the day I "had" to answer the same question four times in four different threads, in three hours - but people tried again, and again - because they didn't like the "nothing for you as an enduser yet" answer - and din't bother to read anything - before creating their "individual" support threads.

Create a "support forum" if you must - but keep it separate from news and project discussions. If people want to play their "I just need a quick answer" games in this forum, give them a place to do so - thats not mixed in with release and news discussions people would want to read to keep informed.
Seriously bro I don't think it's worth writing a book over it.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Samus20XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fuck off. I've been lurking the forum since june of last year. But throwing around the word "newbie" like youre so superior for browsing a forum for a longer time? You're pathetic. You sound like an asshole. Trust me, i'd know (;
All im trying to do is bring attention to the mods the amount of duplicate posts and redundant questions. But you seem to be soooo offended by that. There is an actual problem here. I never said anything about "your" forum being trashy. But its nice to know thats what you think. Thats messed up man. I actually like this place. I wouldnt call it trashy. Also i suggest you look up the word condescending.

Last edited by Samus20XX,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Don't bite. :)

I believe this is not a discussion that would benefit from a "you are a lousy new neighbor - all of my friends have seniority here - so stop talking" input - which is what was just laid out as bait.

Talking about people who believe in crushing arguments with the heel of their boots. If this community gets a sense, that it shouldn't put in work for those types - thats a net benefit.

So how many of you want to serve five, six years in here to finally get useless seniority rights, that then allow you to suppress voices that don't have as many virtual medals as you do, only to prolong a highly problematic status quo? Exactly.

If you should ever deal with those types - they are countered, by reminding them - that people who decided to go against some of their former ideals, because of social pressures, usually become the most active proponents of crushing anything that makes it seem, that they might have had a choice in the matter themselves. Thats whats holds those groups of "neighbors, that don't want the new one to speak out" together. A shared knowledge of "what you had to do" and not talking about it. Its at the base of every old boys club. ;)

And as you might imagine, no one wants to actually end up like this. Its just that many people over the course of their lives do. :) Oh, and by the way, great rank you got there, you must be proud.

(They usually even love the gilded watch they get before retirement, to them it is a symbol of recognition for their years of duty.)

Eh, thats a psychological excursion...

Tldr; is don't bite, they have no arguments - only a strong notion how things "always were and should be". Because otherwise, they wouldn't have made those sacrifices.

Rosebud.

Last edited by notimp,

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is a result from the huge burst of interest from the bootrom thing. Everybody is anxious for the next release or update and when they refresh the sun forum and see new threads of people asking for help they get irritated because they just want something that says release on the heels of all the other releases. Eventually everyone melliws out.

Edit: I forgot to mention I am a level 7

Last edited by TheZander,
Reactions: notimp

Samus20XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bite. :)

I believe this is not a discussion that would benefit from a "you are a lousy new neighbor - all of my friends have seniority here - so stop talking" input - which is what was just laid out as bait.

Talking about people who believe in crushing arguments with the heel of their boots. If this community gets a sense, that it shouldn't put in work for those types - thats a net benefit.

So how many of you want to serve five, six years in here to finally get useless seniority rights, that then allow you to suppress voices that don't have as many virtual medals as you do, only to prolong a highly problematic status quo? Exactly.

If you should ever deal with those types - they are countered, by reminding them - that people who decided to go against some of their former ideals, because of social pressures, usually become the most active proponents of crushing anything that makes it seem, that they might have had a choice themselves. Thats whats holds those groups of "neighbors, that don't want the new one to speak out" together. A shared knowledge of "what you had to do" and not talking about it. Its at the base of every old boys club. ;)

And as you might imagine, no one wants to actually end up like this. Its just that many people over the course of their lives do. :) Oh, and by the way, great rank you got there, you must be proud.

(They usually even love the gilded watch they get before retirement, to them it is a symbol of recognition for their years of duty.)

Eh, thats a psychological excursion...

Tldr; is don't bite, they have no arguments - only a strong notion how things "always were and should be". Because otherwise, they wouldn't have made those sacrifices.

Rosebud.
oh my god its troll bait isnt it? F
my b. didnt mean to feed. i had just woken up P: thanks for pointing this out to me m8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY