gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree it's superior, but not that it's "noob" friendly, and it's certainly not necessary for someone just playing games. The installation takes far more time and effort than menuhax and risks bricking, while menuhax does not. Unless you're fucking around with the nand, or allowing someone to use your 3DS that may accidentally update sysnand, I see no reason to go through a lengthier installation and risk bricking. If a person thinks THEY themselves might accidentally update their sysnand, I wouldn't trust them installing a9lh and would advise them using menuhax until a9lh becomes a requirement.

A9LH most certainly is the best way of avoiding a SysNAND screw-up - by simply removing the need not to update it.
This is the best entrypoint for noobs without a doubt - it is objectively better for noobs and experienced users alike. Not to mention, setting it up is simple and doesn't really take that long...

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If I recall correctly, RxTools emuNAND cannot be updated to the latest version because it uses some obsolete files. Luma3DS uses more current files, so it can be updated fully. RxTools also interferes with the 3D effect, causing noticeable ghosting effects which can accelerate how quickly a player's eyes tire from using said 3D effect. This issue is not present with Luma3DS either. The main benefit to RxTools was the "Tools" part of the name, in how it could do a variety of additional things to your 3DS. The thing is, these tools are obsolete, and their standalone counterparts are more stable and currently updated.

Long story short, eventually you'll want to play a game that will require a firmware update that RxTools simply cannot handle. It's much easier to swap to the more up-to-date CFW that will be able to deal with it now, rather than after you attempt to do the update and mess up your EmuNAND.

Now, I have my own two cents that I'd like to put into the conversation. Yes, I'm aware of the benefits of using Luma3DS over RxTools, and I recently swapped over. However, I'm still using MenuHax for my own system. Why? Because the guide is designed from a stock system to the final result. I currently have an EmuNAND that has a number of games, homebrew, and emulators installed. I tend to play longer games such as RPGs, and so losing my EmuNAND with all of my save files is a bit of a concern for me. Furthermore, while I have a back-up NAND file already from when I set up my EmuNAND the first time, I'm not entirely certain where in the guide I'm meant to continue. I believe that I'm at the point where the only thing left to do is to run the SafeA9LHInstaller program. However, I still have a measure of uncertainty about that, and given the possible risk of bricking my system if I'm wrong, I decided that the safest approach is to just stick with MenuHax. I don't usually let the batteries run dead, and tend to recharge them when the light starts blinking, so the longer boot time is rarely a concern for me. On top of that, while I admit that EmuNAND is potential wasted space, I tend to only play a couple games at a time, and delete games that I've finished (while keeping the save data in case I want to play it again and re-install it), so my SD card is usually large enough for my needs.

Furthermore, if you think back to when MenuHax was the most recent entry-point, a common trick was to use two different colors to help differentiate between the two NANDs. Personally, I'm rather fond of the black color scheme, so I have SysNAND set to the red theme, and EmuNAND set as the black theme. MenuHax is also set to auto-boot into EmuNAND, so the risk of updating SysNAND is miniscule at most, and I can easily see if I've somehow booted into SysNAND, although that's never happened once I set up the auto-boot feature.

As much as everybody keeps saying that MenuHax is obsolete, I don't see a massive need to switch to A9LH at the moment. Yes, it's no longer updated, but it does what it needs to well enough for people like me. Unless I'm mistaken and there's another benefit to switching? I can understand urging people to swap from RxTools because it can lead to a major problem if not taken care of ahead of time. I don't see such an issue to using MenuHax once it's fully set up, so why does it seem almost hostile towards people who still choose to use it?
Huh, why don't you just inject the EmuNAND to SysNAND once you're done?

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH most certainly is the best way of avoiding a SysNAND screw-up - by simply removing the need not to update it.
This is the best entrypoint for noobs without a doubt - it is objectively better for noobs and experienced users alike. Not to mention, setting it up is simple and doesn't really take that long...

It is not objectively better for noobs, just look at how many threads there are made by people who bricked their system trying to install a9lh vs 0 bricks from installing menuhax. And if they can't tell that they're on sysnand and may accidentally update it, they will probably end up being one of the people bricking their system during an a9lh install. If they screw up menuhax, worse case scenario they have to restore their SD card and start over.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It is not objectively better for noobs, just look at how many threads there are made by people who bricked their system trying to install a9lh vs 0 bricks from installing menuhax. And if they can't tell that they're on sysnand and may accidentally update it, they will probably end up being one of the people bricking their system during an a9lh install. If they screw up menuhax, worse case scenario they have to restore their SD card and start over.
I am not talking about INSTALLATION. I'm talking about USAGE. Not to mention, setting up MenuHax requires an internet connection and it requires mtheall.com to be up, which it often is NOT (for example, right now). Installation of A9LH is extremely easy as, once again, the guide does it step by step and the tools are developed FOR the guide, basically.
Hell, it was easy before CTRNAND transfers came along, it only took a lot more time.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not talking about INSTALLATION. I'm talking about USAGE. Not to mention, setting up MenuHax requires an internet connection and it requires mtheall.com to be up, which it often is NOT (for example, right now). Installation of A9LH is extremely easy as, once again, the guide does it step by step and the tools are developed FOR the guide, basically.
Hell, it was easy before CTRNAND transfers came along, it only took a lot more time.
Which is why they released the source code, so you can host it yourself. And not mention, there are other sites that host the browserhax stuffs

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Which is why they released the source code, so you can host it yourself. And not mention, there are other sites that host the browserhax stuffs
I know.... I host one myself....

And you say that is good for noobs? 98% of them won't know what to do if the reference browserhax site is down.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know.... I host one myself....

And you say that is good for noobs? 98% of them won't know what to do if the reference browserhax site is down.
Lml I mean there are entire other sites like that mordor space one that do the same shit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And as a side note, the minuet you get browserhax up, the first thing they say is set up menuhax lol. But I'm pretty sure we can all agree browserhax is unreliable long term

Last edited by Sketchy1,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Lml I mean there are entire other sites like that mordor space one that do the same shit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And as a side note, the minuet you get browserhax up, the first thing they say is set up menuhax lol. But I'm pretty sure we can all agree browserhax is unreliable long term
Hell, even short term, it is unreliable.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, why don't you just inject the EmuNAND to SysNAND once you're done?

Well, like I said, it's getting to that point. Because of the processes I went through to set up EmuNAND, backing up my SysNAND, and everything else, I'm not entirely sure what point in the guide I would need to start at, because the guide only goes from full out-of-the-box stock firmware to a fully finished A9LH installation. Even if following the guide start-to-finish is damn near fool-proof, skipping the wrong step or doing things out of order can result in a bricked system. I don't know entirely what step to start with, so I'm very nervous about guessing and making that risk. Even though I currently have the NAND backup, I don't have the hardmod necessary to use it prior to the successful A9LH installation, which having would mean that I no longer need the backup.

Besides, on another note, the guide usually refers to how the root folder should look on various steps. The thing is, I have a handful of files left-over from previous entry points and various fiddling, so I don't know what files are safe to delete for my personal setup.

If I leave my system as it is, using MenuHax and Luma3DS, I have a reliable-enough method for booting that for my needs is foolproof enough. As long as I see the black theme that I like the look of, I know that everything's fine and I'd be updating EmuNAND if I choose to update. If I see the ugly-looking red theme set up (red as in stop-light DANGER display), I know that something's wrong and to figure out why I'm there. (Which, I still have BrowserHax set up on SysNAND as a backup entry point to the Homebrew Launcher, where I can manually activate Luma3DS.)

The way I see it, I have only a few games that I'm actively playing. When I'm done with them, and I don't feel a risk of losing my EmuNAND and it's contents, I can just wipe the SD card, and start with my stock SysNAND to go through the guide. I don't mind starting with a clear slate, if I'm not losing anything of worth. Like I said, I have a handful of emulators, so all of my non-3DS games are through those instead of Virtual Console, and I can just move the ROMs and save files to my computer and back when I'm done.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago

If only that is actually true. The newcomers are simply told that "it is safe to update, no need for emunand yada yada". The same people who champion a9lh in non-a9lh threads but avoid the a9lh brick threads, hypocrisy much?

If people really want to avoid sysnand screw-ups, a9lh should not be attempted in the first place since it can lead to even more sysnand screw-ups

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I dont know why people say that menuhax is the best way do screw up sysnand because after booting automaticly do emunand you neet go to sysnand again... the updates i still use all the functions of rxtools...

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I dont know why people say that menuhax is the best way do screw up sysnand because after booting automaticly do emunand you neet go to sysnand again... the updates i still use all the functions of rxtools...
Is that so? What about TWL/AGB titles?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If only that is actually true. The newcomers are simply told that "it is safe to update, no need for emunand yada yada". The same people who champion a9lh in non-a9lh threads but avoid the a9lh brick threads, hypocrisy much?

If people really want to avoid sysnand screw-ups, a9lh should not be attempted in the first place since it can lead to even more sysnand screw-ups

Not hypocritical at all, at least from my part. I also do visit A9LH brick threads, and the majority of them are due to users skipping steps. Only a few are bricks due to well... Whatever reason.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not hypocritical at all, at least from my part. I also do visit A9LH brick threads, and the majority of them are due to users skipping steps. Only a few are bricks due to well... Whatever reason.
You know what doesn't cause your system to brick when you skip a step? Menuhax installation. ಠ_ಠ

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
You know what doesn't cause your system to brick when you skip a step? Menuhax installation. ಠ_ಠ
You're still talking about installation? I believe I made it pretty clear that I am talking about daily usage.... Installation is a one-time process. A9LH is objectively superior for daily usage for both experienced and new users alike.

Not to mention, A9LH brick threads are less and less common nowadays, as the guide holds the hand of the person installing A9LH AND the tools have pretty much every check they can to prevent installation in case something is wrong. A minimal risk for the superior entrypoint installation, or a significant risk when using the entrypoint if the device is in the hands of an inexperienced iser... I know which I chose and would choose, and will continue to choose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up